First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have browsed youtube and online reviews, and haven't seen any comparison of FWD vs AWD Ecoboost acceleration times, brake boosted and regular launch.

Anyone have seen any or have a FWD model and would like to do a test? I'm also curious how the torque steer is on FWD models. I'm leaning towards a FWD Ecoboost, if I were to order from Granger, but the 31st last day to order is coming up quick!
Sponsored

OP
OP
JASmith

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No FWD Ecoboost owners yet? I did also check Ford Escape FWD vs AWD tests but saw none that compare regular performance on dry roads.

volksnuts

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I got one yesterday and torque steer is real! LOL
Been a while since I drove a front wheel drive turbo
Not interested in doing any pulls or anything

OP
OP
JASmith

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I got one yesterday and torque steer is real! LOL
Been a while since I drove a front wheel drive turbo
Yeah, that was my main concern as it is almost 300ftlbs of torque.

I've been in very high power FWD vehicles before, but I was thinking about it and they had mechanical limited slip differentials, which I believe the Maverick doesn't, so wasn't sure how much that would play in to that. Thanks!

Such a nice cost and weight savings though!

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm thinking the 2.0 FWD combo is a bit of a unicorn. Wouldn't be surprised to see that model dropped, when they add the AWD hybrid at the next MMC. (my speculation)

Sponsored

volksnuts

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

When searching inventories the last few weeks most of the dealer ordered mavericks were FWD Ecoboost

That’s what most people will buy I’d think

It’s fine as long as you don’t stomp on it in sport mode

It’s not the end of the world unless you want to pretend it’s a race car

I’ve not yet driven an AWD curious if it feels the same (other than torque steer)

OP
OP
JASmith

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm thinking the 2.0 FWD combo is a bit of a unicorn. Wouldn't be surprised to see that model dropped, when they add the AWD hybrid at the next MMC. (my speculation)
I thought it would be more popular since AWD is such an expensive upgrade, and not everyone in the South needs it. Plus, saves some weight and 1mpg bump.

Unfortunately, the order tracking thread didn't have a section to specify AWD vs FWD, so no clue what the breakdown is: https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...ck-order-tracking-list-stats-enter-yours.165/

The other concern I was just thinking of is wheel hop, wonder if the Maverick suspension is soft enough that the FWD might do a bunny dance if you really peg it at a light. Hmmm...

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't believe you can get "wheel hop" on a front drive vehicle. I have driven many front drivers with some power, I used to run one with NOS on it.( A Caddy Northstar) The only one I experienced torque steer on had bad tires. We are talking about a 2 liter engine, not a big block. The only time you may have wheel spin is on slippery surface, where you would not be applying full throttle, & traction control will keep that in check. Like many computer controlled vehicles, they also have transmission torque management, this will prevent full turbo boost at very low speeds so no smoking the tires on full throttle starts.

OP
OP
JASmith

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't believe you can get "wheel hop" on a front drive vehicle.
Try a Focus ST, lol! Wheel hop for days on a similar power FWD ecoboost. 🤪

TacoHolder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not Mav
I'm leaning towards a FWD Ecoboost, if I were to order from Granger, but the 31st last day to order is coming up quick!
I'm thinking the 2.0 FWD combo is a bit of a unicorn. Wouldn't be surprised to see that model dropped
Not sure there is a good reason to get a FWD EcoBoost. It kind of made sense before AWD was required for 4K. The instant torque from the hybrid's electric motor seems to really close the gap in real world acceleration scenarios. I guess the current lack of hybrid availability is the limiting factor for getting your order in for a 22MY.

Sponsored

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I thought it would be more popular since AWD is such an expensive upgrade, and not everyone in the South needs it. Plus, saves some weight and 1mpg bump.

Unfortunately, the order tracking thread didn't have a section to specify AWD vs FWD, so no clue what the breakdown is: https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...ck-order-tracking-list-stats-enter-yours.165/

The other concern I was just thinking of is wheel hop, wonder if the Maverick suspension is soft enough that the FWD might do a bunny dance if you really peg it at a light. Hmmm...
Could be, I just don't see it mentioned much here on the forums....mostly hybrid or AWD takers.

The EB upgrade is ~$1100, and the AWD is an additional ~$2200, double the engine alone cost. But just adding the 2.0EB doesn't really get you much, other than a bit more power, vs the hybrid. Still can't tow any more, and FE is less than the hybrid. I myself, really don't see the point of the 2.0 FWD combo. Maybe someone that owns/ordered one can share the upside of this configuration? :unsure:

xlcjw72

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
soon xl EB FWD
Could be, I just don't see it mentioned much here on the forums....mostly hybrid or AWD takers.

The EB upgrade is ~$1100, and the AWD is an additional ~$2200, double the engine alone cost. But just adding the 2.0EB doesn't really get you much, other than a bit more power, vs the hybrid. Still can't tow any more, and FE is less than the hybrid. I myself, really don't see the point of the 2.0 FWD combo. Maybe someone that owns/ordered one can share the upside of this configuration? :unsure:
I went fwd eb because no way to get a hybrid. But I really do mostly highway and a little extra power there is good. Funny thing I live in maine and really don't need awd good snow tires always worked

OP
OP
JASmith

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I myself, really don't see the point of the 2.0 FWD combo.
I really want a hybrid, but Jan 31st is the cutoff date for $3K off MSRP, but for ecoboost only orders. 30mpg highway is still plenty frugal for me (compared to my 15mpg Ram Hemi), and its going to be an onroad only truck in TX meaning that I don't REALLY need AWD. I'd take it if it were free, but $2.2K isn't nothing, and add another chunk for the 4K tow package.

W/ $3K off MSRP in FWD Ecoboost, its going to be probably cheaper than I could order a hybrid if I wait, and as I understand it I might be waiting a LONG time.

I'm fine w/ 2K towing, as I was going to get that with hybrid anyway, and usually just tow a small trailer for home improvement projects or a single motorcycle.

TacoHolder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not Mav
EB upgrade is ~$1100,
W/ $3K off MSRP in FWD Ecoboost, its going to be probably cheaper than I could order a hybrid
This might be the $1900 question.
How long until you break even in fuel cost alone?
Some unknowns like how long you plan to keep the Mav and how do maintenance cost and depreciation compare between hybrid and Ecoboost.
Other intangibles like if you enjoy driving the turbo more.

The FWD EcoBoost seems like a good move if you want the absolute best deal you can get now. Personally, I would just go with AWD for about the same price as the hybrid. I like to think that traction and power to the rear wheels will help with towing and hauling.

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Engine
Undecided
I subscribe to Car and Driver and this months issue featured a full write up on the Mav. One thing they noted in their words was "The optional turbo 2.0 liter pulverizes the front-drivers tires, so be sure to spec all-wheel drive.".
Take that for whatever it's worth. They didn't go into anymore detail.
Sponsored