Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

• Banned
My father in law has a 2018 RWD Toyota Tundra.
Ford Maverick FWD Maverick bests RWD Tundra pushing  ~7000 lb. tandem axle trailer B2A8D281-816B-4913-BF7F-06439125D91D

We tried to put a ~7000 lb. tandem axle trailer in the backyard. This involved going uphill, in reverse, over green lawn. It was mid-day, 2 or 3pm. The grass was green but not wet with dew or anything. The Tundra wouldn't do it. Excessive wheel spin over and over and started to tear up the grass. 😱

Figured what the hell. Let's try the FWD HYBRID Maverick. It only would be 250 feet we need to move it, but uphill, in reverse, over grass.

Would you believe ZERO wheel spin and it pushed that trailer uphill in reverse on the first attempt?!

My only nuisance was the truck wouldn't "creep" at 1 mph. Had to be 2 mph. Because I was on a slope, at 1 mph and under it kept applying the automatic hill hold feature (brake applies). I can totally live with that.

Color the whole family here impressed. No one thought it would. But this is "The Little Engine That Could" in every respect.

(now if only I could get the 12v battery to stay charged! lol!)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hardening2753

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

B2A8D281-816B-4913-BF7F-06439125D91D.jpeg

We tried to put a ~7000 lb. tandem axle trailer in the backyard. This involved going uphill, in reverse, over green lawn. It was mid-day, 2 or 3pm. The grass was green but not wet with dew or anything. The Tundra wouldn't do it. Excessive wheel spin over and over and started to tear up the grass. 😱

Figured what the hell. Let's try the FWD HYBRID Maverick. It only would be 250 feet we need to move it, but uphill, in reverse, over grass.

Would you believe ZERO wheel spin and it pushed that trailer uphill in reverse on the first attempt?!

My only nuisance was the truck wouldn't "creep" at 1 mph. Had to be 2 mph. Because I was on a slope, at 1 mph and under it kept applying the automatic hill hold feature (brake applies). I can totally live with that.

Color the whole family here impressed. No one thought it would. But this is "The Little Engine That Could" in every respect.

For the battery, there is a thread where they put a new battery in and the battery drain issue went away. Looks like Ford bought a bad batch of batteries

JBryant

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And the Maverick comes through again!! We never cease to be amazed at what these little rascals can do. Great article.

OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

• Banned
That electric motor is no joke.

Edit: you have to have a video or pics lol
Oh ya, it was in electric most of the time. (Left it in Normal Mode) Because I had to navigate a little to the left, a little to the right, to navigate between fence posts, the process took a few minutes, so at some point the engine came on for recharging but it was all EV for much of it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

• Banned
And moral of this story is of course, it's not about horsepower in this case, it's about traction.

Azmig88

2.0L EcoBoost
Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick 2.0 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For the battery, there is a thread where they put a new battery in and the battery drain issue went away. Looks like Ford bought a bad batch of batteries
I’m pleasantly surprised. That’s GREAT

einstein57

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I can’t even get my hybrid to reverse over a curb. As soon as it senses the resistance it completely cuts power to the electric motor.

As far as the battery issue, I watched some videos about the poor soldering connections on the harness going to the “high voltage” mega fuse.

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

B2A8D281-816B-4913-BF7F-06439125D91D.jpeg

And reverse is strictly Electric on a hybrid. The gas engine does not have reverse capability.

Barksdale123

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

As impressed as I am at the Mav. (Although FWD beats RWD any time due to the weight over the drive wheels). I am impressed back up the trailer, up hill. You and your Maverick deserve each other.

Sponsored

Delbert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Forester, honda Accord Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What kind of tires did you use?

OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

What kind of tires did you use?
Stock

About the choked wheel or wheels on a curb- there is a stall sensor. If the electric motor does not spin within x seconds it cuts power. Key is you need a rolling start to go over rocks or curbs.

Old Ford Guy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Hybrid Lariat ; 2016 Linc Navigator
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

And moral of this story is of course, it's not about horsepower in this case, it's about traction.
i agree that traction always helps but the electric drive motors superb, almost instantaneous torque probably had more to do with your success . still thats impressive for a vehicle thats 'only' rated for a 2000lb tow capacity. i wouldnt make a habit of this kind of stuff though, LOL

Old Ford Guy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Hybrid Lariat ; 2016 Linc Navigator
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

And reverse is strictly Electric on a hybrid. The gas engine does not have reverse capability.
really? i did not know that. no offense but is that documented in the manual or something like that? i've on had my 2023 for a month and have not yet noticed that reverse is always electric.

OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

really? i did not know that. no offense but is that documented in the manual or something like that? i've on had my 2023 for a month and have not yet noticed that reverse is always electric.
There is no reversing gear
Notable by the fact there is no shifting of gears of any sort.

To travel in reverse, you can spin the electric motor backwards. You can't spin the gas engine backwards.

However you can run in reverse all day long by having the gas engine generate power to power the backwards spinning traction motor.
Sponsored