2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, EB, LUX, FX4, 4K, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

So, I did my first oil change last week and WAS going to install the Fumoto 137S along with the half-inch adapter. Well, when I installed the half-inch adapter and set my torque wrench to 15 foot-pounds (Fumoto recommended tightness), this is what happened!

Ford Maverick Fumoto Valve Fail IMG_0170.JPG

The threaded part of the brass adapter completely sheared off from the main part of the adapter and was left threaded into my oil pan! I almost pooped myself thinking I might have to have the truck towed to a mechanic to get that out.

Fortunately, I was able to wedge a screwdriver into the broken piece and turn it out of the threads in the oil pan, replace the factory oil plug and complete the oil change.

Ford Maverick Fumoto Valve Fail IMG_0135.JPG

Needless to say, I decided that if a brass Fumoto valve can break that easily, I'll just stick with the steel factory plug and the small added mess/inconvenience associated with it.

I love the concept of the Fumoto valve, but as someone who is prone to being "too rough" on stuff, the last thing I need is a hairline crack in my oil plug causing an oil leak or, worse, a catastrophic engine failure. For those of you who do use, or plan to use, Fumoto valves, I'd advise you to be VERY careful about not over tightening them, even by just a little, or you may end up with more than you bargained for.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hopefully an awd ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Oh man thats no good. I have had a Fumoto valve on my WRX for years now and havent had any issues. Hopefully this is just a one off manufacturing defect.

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
luckily yours failed completely while in a controlled situation. wonder how many are out there just on the verge of failure. aside from that, anything with moving parts can fail I'll stay old school.
Cub Cadet used a similar "quick drain valve" for awhile, actually drained slower than a plug. one of the very few issues I had with my mower over 14yrs of use. luckily I smelled the hot oil and shut it off before any damage.

OP
OP
pa-outdoorsman

pa-outdoorsman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Sponsored

OP
OP
pa-outdoorsman

pa-outdoorsman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

luckily yours failed completely while in a controlled situation. wonder how many are out there just on the verge of failure. aside from that, anything with moving parts can fail I'll stay old school.
Cub Cadet used a similar "quick drain valve" for awhile, actually drained slower than a plug. one of the very few issues I had with my mower over 14yrs of use. luckily I smelled the hot oil and shut it off before any damage.
Exactly. Like I said, what if I hadn't noticed and it "only" had a hairline fracture? What if that crack opened up driving down the Interstate at 80 mph and my entire oil pan drained going down the road?

Lesson learned. Thankfully, as you noted, in a "controlled environment." I think I dodged a bullet.

EM33

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Datsun L521 / 69 Datsun SRL311
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
OP
OP
pa-outdoorsman

pa-outdoorsman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

EM33

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks. Have you installed this on your truck?
Yes, installed during my last (and also, first) oil change. So I haven't had a chance to "use" it yet.

OP
OP
pa-outdoorsman

pa-outdoorsman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Yes, installed during my last (and also, first) oil change. So I haven't had a chance to "use" it yet.
And it fit fine, with no adapter needed or anything? Looks like it would, as it threads straight in and there is some decent clearance around the opening of the oil pan, even though it is recessed.

Sponsored

EM33

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
And it fit fine, with no adapter needed or anything?
Fit perfectly, threads right in without any adapter. I also like the fact the valve itself has a separate, threaded cover which doubles as a backup in case the check valve ever failed for any reason.

OP
OP
pa-outdoorsman

pa-outdoorsman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Fit perfectly, threads right in without any adapter. I also like the fact the valve itself has a separate, threaded cover which doubles as a backup in case the check valve ever failed for any reason.
Yes, I noticed that. It does look like a much better system/product overall than the Fumoto. I should have gone with it in the first place.

Rflick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Buick Encore + ordered Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wow! I have purchased 2 of these valves, one for my Maverick Hybrid and another for my Buick. Fortunately I have not installed either yet and since reading your post,I will NOT e installing either one. I will stick to the original drain plug! Thanks for your posting this flaw with the Fumoto valves.

WhiteMaverick12

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wow. What junk!

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Damn. That sucks.

That said... Are these composite oil pans? It looks like the FV still threads into metal at least. I think the Colorado's are going with composite pans but they also have composite plugs too - as in, you can't use any metal valve at all. Brass does react to aluminum, so I am wondering what the metal inside the pan is threaded with. But, Fumoto uses brass specifically because of it's anti corrosion. So the softer metal is the trade off there.

I've heard good things about that Stahlbus. The only reason I'm using an FV is because I have it carried over from an Escape that I didn't use. Otherwise, I'd be trying the Stahlbus. That said, I have also used them for years and had no issue. I'm willing to bet Fumoto will take care of you in this situation - either with a refund or a new valve. Their customer service is pretty great.

Were you able to fish it out okay?
Sponsored