Sponsored

Mac23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
I just put Bronco Sport wheels on my XL and here is what I had to do to use a factory steelie and 225/65R17 as my spare. There is a bracket to prevent the spare from shifting forward. The space between that bracket and hitch was just slightly too small to fit the full size. (I believe if you don't have a hitch this entire process would be unnecessary)

What I had vs what I wanted.
Ford Maverick Full size spare wheel swap (from Bronco Sport) 20220701_123838

I gave the bracket a small trim and then filed it smooth and primed/painted.
Ford Maverick Full size spare wheel swap (from Bronco Sport) 20220701_124011

Finished product
Ford Maverick Full size spare wheel swap (from Bronco Sport) 20220701_123914

Finished product! I know the paint doesn't match and my beer choices may be questionable, but it fits!
Ford Maverick Full size spare wheel swap (from Bronco Sport) 20220701_131610

Ford Maverick Full size spare wheel swap (from Bronco Sport) 20220701_131619

Ford Maverick Full size spare wheel swap (from Bronco Sport) 20220628_170745
Sponsored

Last edited:

Olele

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Any possible concern with larger tire nearer exhaust pipe?

OP
OP
Mac23

Mac23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4, Chevy Chevelle SS, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Awesome info. This is one of the first things I want to do when mine arrives, put a true full size but I also want to find a matching rim for the XLT.

Sponsored

Tailender

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 F-250, 2011 Rogue, 2012 Jeep Liberty
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Good post! I'm hoping I'll never have to use my small spare!

Helloimnormal

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2002 tahoe
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for posting. Ill be doing this as well now.

OP
OP
Mac23

Mac23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
That weird bracket is there for safety to picture the tire in a rear end accident, but not sure what’s the thinking on that.
I didn't realize it was some sort of safety thing. Too late now anyway! My Z71 and Transit 150 (it's a unibody too) don't have anthing like that. I look at it this way. If someone hit me hard enough to puncture that mini spare, the truck is totaled. If I get a flat while I'm out fishing and have to limp home at 50 on a donut, I'm going to be grumpy and late.

IndyDEW

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2021 Bronco Sport & 1994 Mustang GT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I didn't realize it was some sort of safety thing. Too late now anyway! My Z71 and Transit 150 (it's a unibody too) don't have anthing like that. I look at it this way. If someone hit me hard enough to puncture that mini spare, the truck is totaled. If I get a flat while I'm out fishing and have to limp home at 50 on a donut, I'm going to be grumpy and late.
Correct, it's there to puncture the tire. This helps it from bursting the fuel tank in a collision.

Sponsored

kingranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ford.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That weird bracket is there for safety to picture the tire in a rear end accident, but not sure what’s the thinking on that.
The jagged bracket is designed to puncture and deflate the tire, but more importantly it is supposed catch and prevent the tire from moving forward into the fuel tank in the event of a rear-end collision. You obviously do not want the fuel tank damaged in a crash.

stevhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Correct, it's there to puncture the tire. This helps it from bursting the fuel tank in a collision.
The jagged bracket is designed to puncture and deflate the tire, but more importantly it is supposed catch and prevent the tire from moving forward into the fuel tank in the event of a rear-end collision. You obviously do not want the fuel tank damaged in a crash.
Well, well, well, I didn't know that, you learn something new everyday.

Scooteriffic

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Xlt
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Huh, I had to use my factory spare a couple of weeks ago(picked up a screw in the tire) and my spare was definitely not a doughnut. It came on a silver steel rim and was just slightly smaller than the factory tire.

uga

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looks like all Mavericks come with two different spare tires:

1. a space saver spare tire, donut, or temporary tire, size T155/70D17
2. If you purchase a hybrid or pay extra for a so called "Full Size Spare" surprise, the size is 215/60R17 . This is not the same as the OEM tire/rim on any Maverick.

This information is shown on the Placard located on the driver side door jam.

Please note, the factory spare does not have a Ford OEM TPMS factory sensor.

If your looking for a true "Full Size Spare" size 225/65R17, we have 3 like new with delivery miles, factory OEM Maverick 17" Steel wheel / Continental tire combo. This wheel/tire combo comes with the Ford OEM TPMS factory sensor and will be immediately recognized by your vehicle. Buy one (1) Ford Maverick Wheel and Tire combo and you will get a FREE New Gentex Homelink Auto Dimming Mirror with Compass. Easy to install and looks factory OEM. No more using a separate remote/clicker to open 3 Garage Doors, Entry Gates, or activate Homelink compatible Light systems.

Size 17" x 7
Bolt Pattern 5 x 108mm
Tire Brand: Continental ProContact TX
Tire Size: 225/65R17
Treadware rating of 500

Located in the North Atlanta Georgia area. Please send a message/conversation if interested. $199 local pickup. However, if you have the ability to have shipped at your expense, we will assist in any way possible.

Ford Maverick Full size spare wheel swap (from Bronco Sport) ad
Sponsored

Last edited: