Sponsored

Full Size Spare is smaller size than other factory tires?

CraigMN

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
Hello,

I’ve read that the “full size” spare, a $115 optional upgrade, is 1-2 widths smaller than the tires on the Maverick.

Has anyone been able to verify this? Should the dealer replace it with a matching tire?
Sponsored

donkiboy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not only is it narrower but if I'm correct its 17 inch despite the lariat having 18 inch standard wheels.
This may not be an issue on non AWD, but I'm worried about lariat AWD with stock 18's running a 17 inch spare.

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OP
OP
CraigMN

CraigMN

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
It is full size meaning not a temporary spare donut. It is not the same size as your other 4 tires.
Further information is in this thread -
Does full size spare have TPMS? | MaverickTruckClub.com - 2022+ Ford Maverick Pickup Forum, News, Info

TireLabel.jpg
If the donut is standard, and an optional “Full Size” spare is an upgrade, then I’m expecting to see a full size spare- not a temporary tire to get me to the tire shop. If that’s the case, I will delete the $115 option and buy a full-size spare at the tire shop.

Criss944

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Criss
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverodo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

With the compact spare you are restricted to 45 mph.

Sponsored

OP
OP
CraigMN

CraigMN

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
I believe the FX4 has 235/65R17 so it should have the proper size spare.

wyouger

First Name
Williard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger
Thanks. Interesting information. A number of posters wanted the "full size spare" to include in the tire rotation.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
From what I read before, its basically a blatant lie as its not fullsize in any way:
Ford Maverick Full Size Spare is smaller size than other factory tires? Capture.JPG

OP
OP
CraigMN

CraigMN

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
If the optional “full size” spare is 215/60R17, as the yellow sticker shows, then it’s significantly smaller than the 235/65R17 AT in the FX4 package - 1.8” smaller diameter. If the dealer won’t replace it, then I’ll delete it from the order and buy the correct size. It’s too bad that Ford is not being fully transparent.

Ford Maverick Full Size Spare is smaller size than other factory tires? B569F2FA-E66A-4D22-9DB2-DFF546DA32BF

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If the donut is standard, and an optional “Full Size” spare is an upgrade, then I’m expecting to see a full size spare- not a temporary tire to get me to the tire shop. If that’s the case, I will delete the $115 option and buy a full-size spare at the tire shop.
This was my impression too. I wanted a full sized spare incase I was towing w my awd and got a flat out of state. I wanted to be able to toss the spare on and continue my journey and not have to worry about anything or have the awd not function as stated in the owners manual. I didn’t discover this info till after I had a build date or I would have removed the option from my build. It’s the only thing that has really left me disappointed with my maverick order.

I don’t remember, have we confirmed a real full sized spare fits under the truck ok?

Sponsored

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Full Size Spare allows you to drive at full speed with it on not at the reduced speed with the donut tire.

Also this is a SPARE so use it for its intended purpose: temporary replace a defective tire until the defective tire is repaired or replaced

The Maverick has Open Differentials so tires rotating at different speeds will not be a problem. I'm not sure but you may have to turn off traction control when driving on the spare.

How It Works: Differentials

https://driving.ca/column/how-it-works/how-it-works-differentials

Ford Maverick Full Size Spare is smaller size than other factory tires? Tire Size vs Spare.JPG

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If the optional “full size” spare is 215/60R17, as the yellow sticker shows, then it’s significantly smaller than the 235/65R17 AT in the FX4 package - 1.8” smaller diameter. If the dealer won’t replace it, then I’ll delete it from the order and buy the correct size. It’s too bad that Ford is not being fully transparent.
I'm sure the dealer would replace it for you at your request and he would then present you with an invoice for a new tire plus installation and balancing.

If you're thinking the dealer would do it for no charge, I'm not sure why you would feel it's the dealers responsibility. But that's for you and your dealer to work out.

From what you're saying here, I believe the best thing for you to do is cancel the $115 "full size" spare and go to the tire shop with your checkbook after you get the truck.

I hope that you DO know that the spare wheel is just a plain steel wheel.

OP
OP
CraigMN

CraigMN

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
The Full Size Spare allows you to drive at full speed with it on not at the reduced speed with the donut tire.

Also this is a SPARE so use it for its intended purpose: temporary replace a defective tire until the defective tire is repaired or replaced

The Maverick has Open Differentials so tires rotating at different speeds will not be a problem. I'm not sure but you may have to turn off traction control when driving on the spare.

How It Works: Differentials

https://driving.ca/column/how-it-works/how-it-works-differentials

Tire Size vs Spare.JPG
I ordered a FULL SIZE spare!

OP
OP
CraigMN

CraigMN

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
I'm sure the dealer would replace it for you at your request and he would then present you with an invoice for a new tire plus installation and balancing.

If you're thinking the dealer would do it for no charge, I'm not sure why you would feel it's the dealers responsibility. But that's for you and your dealer to work out.

From what you're saying here, I believe the best thing for you to do is cancel the $115 "full size" spare and go to the tire shop with your checkbook after you get the truck.

I hope that you DO know that the spare wheel is just a plain steel wheel.
I did not ask for a lecture... nor do I need to be told what to do. I can read and understand English and I know what I ordered. Thanks

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I did not ask for a lecture... nor do I need to be told what to do. I can read and understand English and I know what I ordered. Thanks
Ok, have a good day sir.
Sponsored