First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wanted a front camera foursome occasional off-roading in my 2023 Lariat Tremor. I got ideas from other posts and some youtubes. Was able to get a camera with a separate screen from amazon for about $45. : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083XV6BFY?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
It is wired, has a license plate camera (intended as rear/backup) and a 7" screen. It can be directly wired but I opted to use the cigarette lighter plug which has a built in on/off switch. My plan is to use a cubby hole mount (ordered FITS type) and attach the screen side-by-side with the factory screen. It has plug connections at the camera and screen which will allow me to remove the camera and screen when not off-roading. It has a generous amount of wire which I ran through the opening in the firewall above floorboard on drivers side. I ran the wire around the engine bay. The only easy opening to the front license plate was at the upper corner of the radiator. It was the only place I had to fish the wire through.

I wonder if it is a bad location. Need advice: will the radiator get hot enough to damage the wire in that location? Is there a better pass-through location?

I plan to conceal the wires by creating access through the cubby hole as in this you tube video:
Ford Maverick Front license plate camera install/ advice IMG_3264
Ford Maverick Front license plate camera install/ advice IMG_3263
I
Ford Maverick Front license plate camera install/ advice IMG_3267
Ford Maverick Front license plate camera install/ advice IMG_3268

Ford Maverick Front license plate camera install/ advice tempImageIrA8AU
Sponsored

Rivers90

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Tremor, Xterra, Miata
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I will look into doing this. A front camera would be really handy off-road.

Any other tips or things you learned from this setup?
I think I would want to wire it in some way and leave the power port open.

Post some more photos of the wiring if you can.
I would not think the radiator would get so hot as to melt the wires.

How did you get the wires to the cubby?

OP
OP

rbfishing

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I will look into doing this. A front camera would be really handy off-road.

Any other tips or things you learned from this setup?
I think I would want to wire it in some way and leave the power port open.

Post some more photos of the wiring if you can.
I would not think the radiator would get so hot as to melt the wires.

How did you get the wires to the cubby?
I should receive my Cubby FITS insert any day. The ETSY link for it is here:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/155257...search_preloaded_img=1&organic_search_click=1

I intend to use it to hold the Camera (instead of a phone) The "hide your wires" YouTube in my original post above shows how to fish a cable to a phone (or in my case the new camera screen)by drilling a small hole in the cubby and running the wire out below the dash. I was surprised to find the easy firewall pass through to the engine bay pictured in my post above. I saw some previous posts which made the access sound complicated and crowded with wires. Maybe the easy firewall access I found in my 23 Tremor is another way Ford is making it easier for owner hacks. I got some electrical conduit tube from Harbor Freight to provide additional protection to the wire in the engine bay. I will post additional pictures when I have gotten the cubby hole insert and install it in the next couple of days. I will post some better wiring pics too. Also the instructions with the camera show that you can also direct wire the camera. Since I plan to only use it off-road and otherwise sore the camera and screen the plugin approach works well for me
Sponsored