Sponsored

Ford's new "mind blowing" things for its EVs.

Automate

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Hybrid, Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Darren Palmer, who heads up Ford's electric vehicle (EV) program says there's more to come, with a renewed focus on in-car technology in the next phase of Ford's EV program.

"The things we're going to bring in the next three years are just mind blowing. They're doing things that vehicles never did before," he adds.
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/orders-electric-f-150-were-105009772.html

We know it's not self driving cars since they just shut down that project.
What's your guess at what they have coming?
Sponsored

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Whatever it is, it will be Expensive

Flight Test

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvettes
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Who gives a shit what is down the road, just build our trucks in a timely manner. First come, first served. And do a better job communicating with dealers and customers. JMHO, of course.

Sleeper 7

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Fusion 14 Ram Dump 23 Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If they want to blow my mind put a 5.0 in my Mav

DentedFrood

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hot Hatch
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Who gives a shit what is down the road, just build our trucks in a timely manner. First come, first served. And do a better job communicating with dealers and customers. JMHO, of course.
This doesn't have any bearing on Maverick production as this was coming from their EV division, and while they might even be working on an EV Maverick there is a good chance that won't be built with the ICE Maverick in Hermosillo as Ford has said they plan for most/all EV production to be in the US at their new EV mega campus under construction in Tennessee

Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I seen the prototype droppin in lake erie the other day.....
Ford Maverick Ford's new "mind blowing" things for its EVs. Rq57USXAHaEK?w=301&h=180&c=7&r=0&o=5&dpr=1.3&pid=1

TRUCK YEAH!!!!

Raymundo76

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Darren Palmer, who heads up Ford's electric vehicle (EV) program says there's more to come, with a renewed focus on in-car technology in the next phase of Ford's EV program.

"The things we're going to bring in the next three years are just mind blowing. They're doing things that vehicles never did before," he adds.
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/orders-electric-f-150-were-105009772.html

We know it's not self driving cars since they just shut down that project.
What's your guess at what they have coming?
My guess maybe a 10.5" screen that really works; that would super.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This doesn't have any bearing on Maverick production as this was coming from their EV division, and while they might even be working on an EV Maverick there is a good chance that won't be built with the ICE Maverick in Hermosillo as Ford has said they plan for most/all EV production to be in the US at their new EV mega campus under construction in Tennessee
The only bearing on the maverick hybrid is that the new ev production will replace the ice and make the extra weight it accounts for unnecessary. All electric 250 mile range charge in 15 minutes plus line wait time. The hybrid maverick through 2025-2027 will probably be in demand due to supply chain problems created by the implementation of the new tech "so called battery". I also suspect the new production to be at least in a significant percentage to be dedicated to ride share rental companies.

DentedFrood

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hot Hatch
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
sorry but the clowns at Ford can't do anything "mindblowing". I also have a Mach e GT, they can't even get the tech right on that. Really, they can't get the basics right, like connecting your phone and PaaK. Or having your profiles work properly, or OTA and the list goes on.

LOL. We like it, but it is not what I'd call a technological wonder. It's fairly pedestrian as far as EVs go. I'd call it more of a party trick than a vehicle ready for prime time. It's my wife's DD and she likes it, but she has no idea how it is suppose to work, so she doesn't know the difference.

ford is so far behind on connected car and tech, I don't know if they'll ever catch up. They keep hiring clowns that have big resumes, but nothing changes. The first thing they should do is shit can Farley and find someone who understand cars, then go from there.

At least the Mav is on the low side from a tech perspective, so it's kind of hard to mess it up, which is good. Sometimes, less is more!
Sync4 is already the outgoing tech. Ford is supposed to be integrating the Android Automotive OS (not to be confused with Android Auto) soon instead of Blackberry QNX that Sync4 runs on. Looks like they have delayed it until late 2023. Will it be better than Sync4? Who knows at this point, but the buzz around Android Automotive itself has been pretty positive

DentedFrood

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hot Hatch
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The only bearing on the maverick hybrid is that the new ev production will replace the ice and make the extra weight it accounts for unnecessary. All electric 250 mile range charge in 15 minutes plus line wait time. The hybrid maverick through 2025-2027 will probably be in demand due to supply chain problems created by the implementation of the new tech "so called battery". I also suspect the new production to be at least in a significant percentage to be dedicated to ride share rental companies.
We don't know how much an EV Maverick would share with its ICE and Hybrid siblings. I don't think it replace either initially, Ford has already said they intend to have a range of Mavericks. Hybrid and Ice are likely just the start.

Ride share rental companies? I don't see a Maverick appealing to that market. That seems Mach-E, Escape, Bronco Sport, Explorer territory

Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We don't know how much an EV Maverick would share with its ICE and Hybrid siblings. I don't think it replace either initially, Ford has already said they intend to have a range of Mavericks. Hybrid and Ice are likely just the start.

Ride share rental companies? I don't see a Maverick appealing to that market. That seems Mach-E, Escape, Bronco Sport, Explorer territory
And they both as well as the other lines evolve into the same technology. And you can reserve whatever ride you need and when. No need for you to drive the same color maverick home from the one you rode to work in. It could have been used by several others during the day and may or not be the one you had reserved in the morning. The prices could require that the vast majority could only justify the expense of owning a vehicle one to three days a week. Etc....

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I used to work at the Advanced Research & Development division of a Fortune 50 tech corporation. So I was personally creating the stuff people would have in their hands 3-4 years down the road. It was kind of frustrating to be reading input from customers about feature X sucking - knowing that we already had something in the labs that would blow their minds.

Cars are worse. The lead time is more like 5 to 6 years on a new car program. So what do I think they have coming down the pike? (1) They're working right now with early prototype solid state batteries. So double the range for the same weight, or the same range with half the weight. Oh, and unlike rolling gasoline bombs or current lithium batteries - they're fire resistant. (200,000 a year in the USA). (2) Skateboard designs, so take 30% of the labor out of the vehicle cost. (3) 800 to 1000 volt BEV architectures, so cut your charging time to how long it takes you to use the restroom. (4) Vastly improved software and electrical architectures, reducing the controller count and cutting wiring harness complexity. (5) As somebody mentioned above, Android auto operating system - already in use in newer Volvos. (6) Next generation ADAS safety sensors and software. Lidar, IR, etc. (7) Next generation Blue Cruise - meaning more self driving features. (8) Improved manufacturing - possibly following Tesla by using IDRA presses to cast the front and rear of the car as one piece - reducing labor and complexity and improving quality. (9) A bunch of other stuff none of us know about.

It's not just Ford, it's all of the OEMs. As the man said in Future Shock, the future keeps coming faster and faster. And it's generally (not always) good. Will it cost more money at first? Yea. Will it trickle down to the mass market relatively quickly? You betcha. After all, most of the people reading this post have an inexpensive supercomputer in their back pocket.

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I believe Flight Test's post was more of a "blowing off steam" than trying to be a who makes what. Let's give him that.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Oh good gravy, let's not perpetuate the mythological solid state battery here. Unless they are putting it into a vehicle technologically equipped to finally find Big Foot, Mothman, or <insert your cryptid of choice here>. ;)
Bigfoot is in your heart man.

I used to work at the Advanced Research & Development division of a Fortune 50 tech corporation. So I was personally creating the stuff people would have in their hands 3-4 years down the road. It was kind of frustrating to be reading input from customers about feature X sucking - knowing that we already had something in the labs that would blow their minds.

Cars are worse. The lead time is more like 5 to 6 years on a new car program. So what do I think they have coming down the pike? (1) They're working right now with early prototype solid state batteries. So double the range for the same weight, or the same range with half the weight. Oh, and unlike rolling gasoline bombs or current lithium batteries - they're fire resistant. (200,000 a year in the USA). (2) Skateboard designs, so take 30% of the labor out of the vehicle cost. (3) 800 to 1000 volt BEV architectures, so cut your charging time to how long it takes you to use the restroom. (4) Vastly improved software and electrical architectures, reducing the controller count and cutting wiring harness complexity. (5) As somebody mentioned above, Android auto operating system - already in use in newer Volvos. (6) Next generation ADAS safety sensors and software. Lidar, IR, etc. (7) Next generation Blue Cruise - meaning more self driving features. (8) Improved manufacturing - possibly following Tesla by using IDRA presses to cast the front and rear of the car as one piece - reducing labor and complexity and improving quality. (9) A bunch of other stuff none of us know about.

It's not just Ford, it's all of the OEMs. As the man said in Future Shock, the future keeps coming faster and faster. And it's generally (not always) good. Will it cost more money at first? Yea. Will it trickle down to the mass market relatively quickly? You betcha. After all, most of the people reading this post have an inexpensive supercomputer in their back pocket.
That all sounds great but I want my EV-Van-Boat-Truck
Ford Maverick Ford's new "mind blowing" things for its EVs. usxahaek-w-301-h-180-c-7-r-0-o-5-dpr-1-3-pid-1-

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid