Sponsored

Ford to drastically cut vehicle configurations and options (Article)

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If they also designed out the options so consumers could add them fairly easily on their own terms at a price close to if they ordered the vehicle with them pre built they'd have all bases covered.

Dan

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think this is more or less instead of 20 small packages they have a few large packages, limiting production complexity. They can still have the same options but instead of many configurations there will only be a few

nick112288

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Ram 2500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I take it 2 ways.

Reduce "options" by simply packaging more stuff in 1 thing. Lux now includes 360 and sunroof. Price goes up accordingly, but they've eliminated 2 "options".

Or cutting all those dealer installed options. You know how much stuff they could remove from the Maverick options by simply saying all this stuff that previously you could order but was dealer installed, is now only available after purchase from your dealer.

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well, they could always go back to building the Model T. I'm sure they still have all the build information. Maybe they could splurge this time around and give us tubeless tires and a window fan for a defroster.

Sponsored

PriusHater

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rocketstem.org
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Optioning on the Maverick doesn’t seem that bad. The Bronco on the other hand is a bit overwhelming with all the different trim levels and other options.

Jmav2152

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Mav, 15' KTM 1190 ADV R, 19' Husq TE250i
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
They did it with the BS. These are budget vehicles, to own and to produce. More options opens the window for irregular orders and configurations that can slow down production.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

mtd14

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Chevy
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Consolidating options into packages sounds like the opposite of what they need for the Maverick. Since the bottleneck here is parts, they should be decoupling constrained parts from packages. In a world where assembly is the bottleneck, this strategy makes sense. I have a feeling they won’t actually go crazy with this until things normalize.

Captain

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
63 Nova Convertible /
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Hum, wonder what will look like? No more Lux packages? (No idea how accurate this article is. Just thought it was interesting.)
https://www.autoblog.com/2022/08/08/ford-reducing-vehicle-configurations-options/
Clearly having like 6 options for a single vehicle is cost prohibitive. I mean, honestly all the Bronco models is ridiculous. Ford would be much better served with bare bones vehicles, with lots of add ons at the dealerships or aftermarket. Let’s be honest, dealers are going to fast become extinct with Fords direct sales model. Keeping them doing repair and option installation will keep them open. Ford is having trouble getting “Ford’ trained techs now. I’m not a fan of most dealers, but when you find a good one, it’s a keeper.

Sponsored

athertonbt

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL EB FWD Carb Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Has anyone taken a look at the number of options/packages for the F-150? Truly an insane amount. I guess when you sell three-quarters of a million every year, you're doing something right...

Captain

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
63 Nova Convertible /
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Has anyone taken a look at the number of options/packages for the F-150? Truly an insane amount. I guess when you sell three-quarters of a million every year, you're doing something right...
Selling them? Ford has absolutely no problem selling them…. Ford can’t make them. They are years of waiting, at least with the Lightening Ford is smart enough to NOT even allow you to order one, you need a special invitation. Fords other issue is quality control, they are making less vehicles and have no attention to detail. When the CEO tells you we at Ford will watch social media to see what’s wrong, it’s too late. Last but not least is Ford not stopping their Brand Dealers from price gouging their, Ford, customers. No one goes to a dealer to but some vehicle, they go to buy a FORD…. Made not by the dealer, but by FORD.

athertonbt

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL EB FWD Carb Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Selling them? Ford has absolutely no problem selling them…. Ford can’t make them. They are years of waiting, at least with the Lightening Ford is smart enough to NOT even allow you to order one, you need a special invitation. Fords other issue is quality control, they are making less vehicles and have no attention to detail. When the CEO tells you we at Ford will watch social media to see what’s wrong, it’s too late. Last but not least is Ford not stopping their Brand Dealers from price gouging their, Ford, customers. No one goes to a dealer to but some vehicle, they go to buy a FORD…. Made not by the dealer, but by FORD.
Agreed.
I was more making the point that they definitely can/should cut some of these options. There's a million.

Nick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Bronco
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford just jacked up pricing on 2023 F150L. Good luck!

Ford Maverick Ford to drastically cut vehicle configurations and options (Article) Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 10.24.23 AM

TyPope

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tesla Model Y, 2018 Ford F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well, they could always go back to building the Model T. I'm sure they still have all the build information. Maybe they could splurge this time around and give us tubeless tires and a window fan for a defroster.
... and a better brake than a leather strap around the axle!
Sponsored