Sponsored

Ford shipping vehicles with bad airbags.

OXHB619

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB 2.0
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My truck was just delivered yesterday to the dealer it was shipped out on September 27th it was released from manufacturing train left Mexico on the 6th and arrived in the Bay area in California on the 9th. They didn't tell me how to recall until right before I was supposed to come pick it up. So manufacturers shipped it knowing it had a bad airbag. The recall did not show up until it was at the dealer funny how that worked
If it is on the NHTSA website, the notices went out way earlier than yesterday.

I have an XL that I got a notice from Ford earlier last week in the mail. Dealer was informed they just didn't notify you.

Sucks that it shipped, but other option was it to sit for who knows how long in Mexico. No real good option in this scenario, other than Ford halting production to fix ones already manufactured, which ain't happening when they are trying to squeeze out the rest of the MY '22's with a vin. Not excusing it, sorry it happened to you.

If you don't wait it out, best of luck with whatever you get instead, I understand Ford put you in a tough spot.
Sponsored

MrCigar

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT EB FX4 Cactus Grey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Gave me a bit of panic, as a end of September build, but no issues came up on my vin check. I was under the impression bad airbags stopped in July.

Have you verified yourself it is subject to the recall ? Just go to this website and plug in your VIN:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls
Thank you for the link! Just got my built email this evening with anticipated delivery end of month to CA. All clear in the system 👍🏼😎

Pikey87

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They're not "bad airbags". They just don't quite deflect enough in case of a side impact to meet the high federally mandated standards. They're still very effective, they'll still deploy just fine and over a great deal of protection, but NHTSA doesn't mess around.
If they don't meet standards, then they are indeed "bad airbags". Your loved ones deserve better than that, and you do too. I've seen a lot of white knighting for some of the absolute garbage ford has pulled, and I'll generally ignore it, because it's bad enough for the ford defense posters to make themselves look as bad as they do.

I'm not going to ignore your willingness to devalue unacceptable safety problems. It's absolutely unacceptable, and there's not a single relevant argument against that. Shameful.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm not going to ignore your willingness to devalue unacceptable safety problems. It's absolutely unacceptable, and there's not a single relevant argument against that. Shameful.
Should I ignore you putting words in my mouth - er, fingertips?

Yeah, I'm gonna go that route.

Do you even understand the nature of the defect?

Darklyter

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BASE
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I got the recall letter in the mail today...
Ordered my XL in October 2021, picked it up in March 2022...

Sponsored

Jcj280

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Very similar thing happened to me. Ordered July 2021, and on July 8th the truck first went into production (originally was supposed to be May...then june). Mine stopped production and was finally flagged as Built on September 20th. On the 22nd I got an email from Ford saying it was built and would arrive at my dealer the week of October 16th. On the 25th my dealer called me and told me about the recall, and that I couldnt pick up the truck when it arrived and to prepare to wait until January at the Earliest. Major league grumble.

So I chatted with Ford on the website, and asked what was up. If it was being shipped or not and when it would come. They gave me the number for Ford's marketing line at 1-800-334-4375. They told me that my truck was pulled from delivery, went back into production to fix the airbag, and was finished on September 28th with a new shipping week of October 28th.

So...honestly I dont believe this? Like im so beaten down from constant teases of "maybe this is the month" that I just refuse to believe its happening, but that came straight from corporate. I called my dealer to confirm and havent heard back.

Clock Doc

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2.0 ecoboost, Ford Crown Victoria
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

It is standard practice by every auto manufacturer out there to ship vehicles to the dealers while under a recall and have the dealer preform the repair. It is quicker to make these repairs this way, normaly. What is not common is the manufactures not having the replacement parts in stock at the dealer before your vehicle arrives to them. This is not a Ford issue it's an industry wide issue. Every Automaker cannot meet demand or obtain the parts needed to build vehicles let alone have replacement parts right now.
I was just at the hyundai dealer yesturday getting an oil change. 3 cars in the showroom, normaly 10. Wanted to look at the Santa Cruz for the wife only had 1, fully loaded. No Tucson's on the lot. Maybe a hand full of used cars and less new. Sales manager said they had a slightly cheaper Santa Cruz in transit but was not sure if it belonged to someone already or even when it would arrive.
Dodge stopped making the 2500 because they can't produce them. We are all just stuck with what it is right now.

matmondro

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mathieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'll say this thread gave me a bit of a panic too as my truck is currently in transit. But I checked the NHTSA website and it said I have zero recalls for my VIN!

mspmms

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
'MERICA
Threads
Reaction score
U.S.A. Indianapolis, Indiana (Downtown Indy)
Vehicle(s)
2022 XL Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I'll say this thread gave me a bit of a panic too as my truck is currently in transit. But I checked the NHTSA website and it said I have zero recalls for my VIN!
I checked mine too - however, today will make the 43rd day 😫 of built and arranging shipment to your dealer. "This step could take a few days to a week."

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just out of curiosity, weren't airbag-recalled trucks only built up until the first week or two of July? I was under the impression that nearly all August and later builds were not affected by that.

If it has changed, let me know!
Wow I had thought that too. Mine was built a few days after the op. Making financial plans etc. Then to have it sit at a dealer for 3 or 4 months? Hope that's not the case. Would the NHTSA site be that current? Mine is not on the list.

Last edited:
Sponsored

Pikey87

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Should I ignore you putting words in my mouth - er, fingertips?

Yeah, I'm gonna go that route.

Do you even understand the nature of the defect?
In your exact words...

They're not "bad airbags". They just don't quite deflect enough in case of a side impact to meet the high federally mandated standards. They're still very effective, they'll still deploy just fine and over a great deal of protection, but NHTSA doesn't mess around.
The airbags do not meet federally mandated standards. Your devaluation of the safety problem was saying that they aren't bad airbags, they just don't meet the "high" standards. I'm not putting any words in your mouth (or fingers lol). And I'm not trying to be a dick either. But pretending that airbags that don't meet standards aren't bad is a joke, and implying that it has anything to do with high standards in any way is even worse.

matmondro

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mathieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wow I had thought that too. Mine was built a few days after the op. Making financial plans etc. Then to have it sit at a dealer for 3 or 4 months? Hope that's not the case. Would the NHTSA site be that current? Mine is not on the list.
I would believe NHTSA's site would be current. Same with Ford's, I've checked there too. I'm hoping to take swift delivery of my truck when it arrives.

KevCuRaoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It is standard practice by every auto manufacturer out there to ship vehicles to the dealers while under a recall and have the dealer preform the repair. It is quicker to make these repairs this way, normaly. What is not common is the manufactures not having the replacement parts in stock at the dealer before your vehicle arrives to them. This is not a Ford issue it's an industry wide issue. Every Automaker cannot meet demand or obtain the parts needed to build vehicles let alone have replacement parts right now.
I was just at the hyundai dealer yesturday getting an oil change. 3 cars in the showroom, normaly 10. Wanted to look at the Santa Cruz for the wife only had 1, fully loaded. No Tucson's on the lot. Maybe a hand full of used cars and less new. Sales manager said they had a slightly cheaper Santa Cruz in transit but was not sure if it belonged to someone already or even when it would arrive.
Dodge stopped making the 2500 because they can't produce them. We are all just stuck with what it is right now.
By shipping to the dealer, the dealer either has to pay for the vehicle, or put in on floor plan. So Ford is getting interest $ from the vehicles that are sitting on dealers' lots unable to be sold. They would have to pay storage fees if they had them sent off-site to await parts to bring back to the plant to fix.....

Ford wants to keep the production moving. So, in the end, sending vehicles to dealerships to wait for when surplus parts will be available, will allow Ford to produce more Mavericks than focusing on replacing airbags in already-built Mavericks that are stored near the plant.

Dallas Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It is not legal to sell a new vehicle w/ an open safety recall, so that must be taken care of before it can be sold.
I have thought about this specific situation with regards to resale/trade-ins...

Would a dealership offer you top dollar for a vehicle that has an open recall, but no way to fix it?

I've never been in that situation myself, but for people who may want to trade in their '22s once their '23 arrives, I could see this being a problem.

Anyone else dealt with this before?

KevCuRaoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have thought about this specific situation with regards to resale/trade-ins...

Would a dealership offer you top dollar for a vehicle that has an open recall, but no way to fix it?

I've never been in that situation myself, but for people who may want to trade in their '22s once their '23 arrives, I could see this being a problem.

Anyone else dealt with this before?
Possibly? It isn't usually illegal to sell used vehicles with open safety recalls (but this may depend on the nature of the problem....if there is a "stop driving" recall, then I'm sure it can't be sold). This may also depend on state laws, but the open safety recalls usually just need to be disclosed to the customer before the sale.

Obviously, an open safety recall may turn some customers away. So dealers may be more conservative in how much money they are willing to put into a trade with an open recall.

I do think that parts should be available for the 22 airbag recalls before the vast majority of 23 Mavericks are produced & delivered to dealerships, so hopefully this won't be a huge issue!
Sponsored