Sponsored

Ford shipping vehicles with bad airbags.

Detailer1965

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
My vehicle was built at the end of September. Shipped on October 6th arrived at dealership October 11th. They called me today saying they couldn't deliver it because of airbag recall. That tells me the manufacturer ship my vehicle knowing it had an airbag recall and they could not be delivered. So whoever's got a delivery coming be aware they can't deliver it if it falls into the airbag recall. I'm screwed no fix until first quarter of 23. Really upset at Ford right now probably not going to get the vehicle. First Ford I was ever going to own never buy one now.
Sponsored

KevCuRaoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My vehicle was built at the end of September. Shipped on October 6th arrived at dealership October 11th. They called me today saying they couldn't deliver it because of airbag recall. That tells me the manufacturer ship my vehicle knowing it had an airbag recall and they could not be delivered. So whoever's got a delivery coming be aware they can't deliver it if it falls into the airbag recall. I'm screwed no fix until first quarter of 23. Really upset at Ford right now probably not going to get the vehicle. First Ford I was ever going to own never buy one now.
It's not uncommon for vehicles to be shipped w/ open recalls..... it is probably easier for the to get them to the dealers, so that they can be more quickly fixed when parts are available. Otherwise they'd just have to store them all at the plant.
This may be the faster solution in the end.

I'm sure if sucks, but what else is there to do? It is not legal to sell a new vehicle w/ an open safety recall, so that must be taken care of before it can be sold.

Sometimes they do get instructions out to dealers early...and parts are available early. So it is possible that it could be early than Q1 of 2023. Hopefully it will!

New2AZ

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX Hatchback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It is certainly better to have these recalls addressed before taking delivery. It's a pain, but better than repeated trips to the dealer (and more waiting when the recall replacement parts aren't available).
I got the stupid engine fire thing done on my last oil change. I plan on letting all the other recalls just add up until my next oil change/rotation...and then probably being Maverick-less for weeks while they try to sort them out!

Sliphorn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It is certainly better to have these recalls addressed before taking delivery. It's a pain, but better than repeated trips to the dealer (and more waiting when the recall replacement parts aren't available).
I got the stupid engine fire thing done on my last oil change. I plan on letting all the other recalls just add up until my next oil change/rotation...and then probably being Maverick-less for weeks while they try to sort them out!
You have a hybrid. You will be notified when the airbag recall parts are available. What other recall(s) are you referring to?

New2AZ

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX Hatchback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You have a hybrid. You will be notified when the airbag recall parts are available. What other recall(s) are you referring to?
Just airbags for now. There's undoubtedly going to be something else.
My truck has been 100% fine btw. Just anticipating other crap coming up for the hybrid :)

Sponsored

zzbaluba

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Alto Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Most car manufacturers are experiencing problems. My advice is be patient. This will be my first Ford also. I've waited a year so far. Have no idea when I'll see the vehicle. But I want what I want.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They're not "bad airbags". They just don't quite deflect enough in case of a side impact to meet the high federally mandated standards. They're still very effective, they'll still deploy just fine and over a great deal of protection, but NHTSA doesn't mess around.

matmondro

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mathieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just out of curiosity, weren't airbag-recalled trucks only built up until the first week or two of July? I was under the impression that nearly all August and later builds were not affected by that.

If it has changed, let me know!

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just out of curiosity, weren't airbag-recalled trucks only built up until the first week or two of July? I was under the impression that nearly all August and later builds were not affected by that.

If it has changed, let me know!
Feb 3, 2021, thru July 9, 2022

64,974 2022 model year Maverick vehicles with build dates from February 3, 2021 through July 9, 2022 are affected.
https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...august-8-2022-vehicles-affected-64-974.18940/

pndwind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F450 Amb
Engine
Undecided
They also shipped them with bad wiring bad batteries and I’m sure other stuff that will show up later.
Im a little concerned with QC with this last push to get all 22 vins done.

Sponsored

Hoagus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 Ranger, ‘22 Mav XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think they should let him buy/drive the truck. Mine is also under the recall, but I’m driving it. It could be six months before they get the parts to fix these.

But, Fotd is just following the law and limiting their liability. It’s a lose/lose situation, for something of dubious concern.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think they should let him buy/drive the truck. Mine is also under the recall, but I’m driving it. It could be six months before they get the parts to fix these.

But, Fotd is just following the law and limiting their liability. It’s a lose/lose situation, for something of dubious concern.
There are two different things at play there. The recall is enough to require a stop sale order (well, technically a demonstration/delivery hold, but who is going to buy a vehicle they can't take home for months?). The recall is insufficient to require a stop driving order.

Since you already have yours, they're not telling you to park it. Since OP doesn't, the dealer must hold onto it until replacement parts are installed.

OXHB619

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB 2.0
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Gave me a bit of panic, as a end of September build, but no issues came up on my vin check. I was under the impression bad airbags stopped in July.

Have you verified yourself it is subject to the recall ? Just go to this website and plug in your VIN:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

OXHB619

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB 2.0
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My vehicle was built at the end of September. Shipped on October 6th arrived at dealership October 11th.
This looks like only part of the story, I looked at your past posts. You were in production at some point in July, which makes it likely it does have recalled airbags.

OP
OP

Detailer1965

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
Gave me a bit of panic, as a end of September build, but no issues came up on my vin check. I was under the impression bad airbags stopped in July.

Have you verified yourself it is subject to the recall ? Just go to this website and plug in your VIN:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls
My truck was just delivered yesterday to the dealer it was shipped out on September 27th it was released from manufacturing train left Mexico on the 6th and arrived in the Bay area in California on the 9th. They didn't tell me how to recall until right before I was supposed to come pick it up. So manufacturers shipped it knowing it had a bad airbag. The recall did not show up until it was at the dealer funny how that worked
Sponsored