First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looks good! Iā€™m going to have to get some touch up paint for mine too. One of the weave lanes on my morning commute was under construction and a large truck kicked up a bunch of loose gravel so the Mav got two small chips on the front left quarter panel :( glad to see that the result looks nice when applied with patience.

Joeneonturbo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, Dodge SRT-4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Itā€™s disconcerting that they have a black bumper underneath so all paint chips will be noticeable

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
(y) looks fine!

Oggy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Itā€™s disconcerting that they have a black bumper underneath so all paint chips will be noticeable
Same bumper for all Maverick trucks, it just gets a different color paint. The cost to use different color plastics would be exorbitant, and a further cause for constraints.

All manufacturers use a single color... Our Toyota sienna has black plastic under the white paint.

Sponsored

Ringo

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1953 MGTD, 1953 F100, 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Patience seems to always pay off. Good work.

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
7257D846-7371-4705-9085-21FD45526D7D.jpeg

Hereā€™s a before photo i found, little sucker must have been there for awhile and I thought it was dirt šŸ˜‚
Not too noticable...For future reference, highly recommend looking for what is called a "Paint Glazing Spot Putty", Bondo does make it. Most auto parts stores have it. It is in a tube and works very similar to "Bondo" but you wipe it on with a finger tip, or plastic spatula if it's a big chip, let dry for at least an hour, then compound as little of the area as possible to smooth out the glaze. The Glazing Putty leaves behind a concave filling over the hole or scratch, and acts as a PRIMER, then you can apply a few coats of your color paint. This Glaze Putty is only for tiny chips and scratches...but for anything much bigger than a pencil eraser...then you will need the services of a paint shop.

I use a cheap painter's paint brush to apply minimum amount of color paint...usually takes 2 or 3 color paint coats, drying after each coat then buff the dried new paint with compounding wax or highest level sandpaper you can find to smooth it out. You can do the buffing with a clay bar. You want the added chip paint to be level with the original paint surface. The concave dimple left by the "glaze putty" allows you to fill it in with your color paint without leaving your added color paint above the surface paint. I usually don't attempt adding a clear coat, but it is an option.

FYI: I accidentally scratched by my front bumper with a garage door handle while closing (don't ask) Way beyond use of "Glazed Spot Putty" ability to fix. Took the car to a local body shop who let me know any paint shop will have to "detach a plastic bumper" from the vehicle in order to paint the bumper, mainly due to clear-coating and taping off the rest of the car, that will never match the rest of the body paint without clear-coating. 2" scratch would have cost me $600. to remove bumper to property repaint and reinstall bumper. 2 other reputable paint shops told me exactly the same thing.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1370

Just got my first rock chip on my front bumper and I went with the OEM MotorCraft touch up paint pen.

disclaimer: Iā€™m not a professional. My prep work consists of an alcohol wipe and patience.

I forgot to take before and after pics, but hereā€™s the result.

View attachment 52447
View attachment 52448

overall Iā€™m satisfied with the look itā€™s barely noticeable from afar, up close however it noticeable.. but I think thatā€™s the nature of the touchup paint anyhow.

I think If I had done another layer (I did 2). it would have blended in better.
It does indeed seem to chip easy in my experience. I understand these things happen and itā€™s a truck but for brand new the paint should be a tad more resilient than it is. It is the way it is however. Ford paint isnā€™t known for being the best tbh. Touch up paint is absolutely a good thing to have on hand. I ordered some for my mav via the parts dept of my dealer

Sponsored

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It does indeed seem to chip easy in my experience. I understand these things happen and itā€™s a truck but for brand new the paint should be a tad more resilient than it is. It is the way it is however. Ford paint isnā€™t known for being the best tbh. Touch up paint is absolutely a good thing to have on hand. I ordered some for my mav via the parts dept of my dealer
Another good reason for "Ceramic Paint Protection". CPP won't stop gravel but greatly helps protection from the little stuff, like sand and insects. And makes repair of little chips much easier.

Deleted member 1370

Another good reason for "Ceramic Paint Protection". CPP won't stop gravel but greatly helps protection from the little stuff, like sand and insects. And makes repair of little chips much easier.
In fact I did get that! I knew ahead of time given the paint quality. I paid for the dealership to do it. But that wonā€™t help given my truck was vandalized with rocks and eggs thrown at a high speed from a moving car at night. Ceramic helps but it doesnā€™t help alot against that unfortunately. I do agree with you against environmental damage on the paint

Joeneonturbo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, Dodge SRT-4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Same bumper for all Maverick trucks, it just gets a different color paint. The cost to use different color plastics would be exorbitant, and a further cause for constraints.

All manufacturers use a single color... Our Toyota sienna has black plastic under the white paint.
My old neon SRT 4 has a pale yellow plastic bumpers for my yellow car so ur claim is incorrect.
Sponsored