41Special

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Skis
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The idea that Ford is intentionally limiting production to be more profitable elsewhere defies common sense.

Yes, the Maverick is probably less profitable per unit than full-size offerings, but low margins in quantity can be extremely profitable. Why would Ford tie up a $6 billion plant freshly tooled up for volume and eat the continued maintenance and labor expenses if it didn't have to?

Ford's decision to discontinue the Ranger in 2011 led many customers not to the F-150, but to the Tacoma, Colorado and Frontier. I would be surprised if they are trying that again, so I guess I'll chalk it up to those supply issues I hear about every 45 days.
Sponsored

Last edited:

TedTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
While this reply will appear to support both ideas CAFE vs. supply and demand. I feel Mavericks started as a wild idea to match technology advances and low cost parts bin Truck.
The main goal was CAFE and not to lose too much money if it flopped.
They surpassed those goals wildly!!
so, the other direction companies take with a wildly popular product is to take a larger risk to capitalize on success by slightly raising price ( already 2K higher) and building capacity to make profits with low cost and high volume.
This is a Ford legacy idea, so defaults to the model T example. Ford WILL capitalize on success eventually.
But, situation post-rebound-pre-Kraken Covid has disrupted too much to make a move at this time.
They plan for failure… not success!

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thats a great strawman argument, where did I say I expect it to be under $30k and when did I say I should get a Maverick in 90 days? I said it'll be more expensive than a loaded Lariat, which is $34k. It'll almost certainly have a longer wait too, since Toyota tends to be more popular and builds a better car.
Apologies - that was not directed at you even though I quoted you. It is directed at the recent spat of comments of forum members claiming that a "compact hybrid toyota" is right around the corner for $30k and once it's out they are never coming back to Ford" etc...

My point is that no other car manufacturer is going to offer a $25k hybrid pick up truck. Specifically the Tacoma, which is a midsized ladder frame truck, will be priced well north of $35k.

Rumors of a compact Toyota truck are just rumors and there is no concrete evidence one is on the way to market in the US.

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The idea that Ford is intentionally limiting production to be more profitable elsewhere defies common sense.

Yes, the Maverick is probably less profitable per unit than full-size offerings, but low margins in quantity can be extremely profitable. Why would Ford tie up a $6 billion plant freshly tooled up for volume and eat the continued maintenance and labor expenses if it didn't have to?

Ford's decision to discontinue the Ranger in 2011 led many customers not to the F-150, but to the Tacoma, Colorado and Frontier. I would be surprised if they are trying that again, so I guess I'll chalk it up to those supply issues I hear about every 45 days.
That's totally fair.

You can listen to Ford marketing tell you every 45 days they are "trying real hard to build your Maverick but the supply chain..." because that sounds better than "we don't intend to build your low margin vehicle"

OR -

You could actually observe Ford's actions and look at the vehicle mix they produced and are producing for MY22 and MY23. You can also look at the rapid expansion they've made for F-150 Lightning and Mach-E production while the Maverick production remains steady.

Sponsored

Lou'sBluMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Chevy Colorado(sold Oct) 2018 Subaru Forester
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My hybrid is scheduled to be built on 1/16, hoping it's true. On that day the line is planned to produce 910 vehicles. Based on the proportion of Mavericks built in 2022 (the rest being Bronco Sports) turns out to be 35%. So on that day they might build 320 Mavericks, of which, according to their announced hybrid capacity, would also be 35%.

So Woody Wepecker sez, they might build 112 Hybrids on a given day.......And That's All Folks!

TedTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’ve worked in the Presidents office for a top 3 research organization and top 5 company. They literally don’t think like us. Its all about risk assessment in 5-7 years ahead. The Maverick was an idea 7ish years ago, using unpublished insider information on material and technology a risk avoidance strategy that worked. It’s nothing now, sorry, just another right call to action/direction from years passed.
So if you get your Maverick great, it could be rare for a while. I think the full electric truck can only fill a small but wealthy niche market with prebuilt limits confines to people with large garages, metropolitan infrastructure, and short trips. Fords larger market is NOT that. Think Rural, poor fragile electric supply and long distances to travel.

wax87

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Avalon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

So what was your motivation in ordering the Maverick?
Well I wrecked my Sienna back in Fed, so I need something with some capability. I want a hybrid because from an engineering standpoint I think it makes the most since.

OP
OP

PhilD

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford Focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was the in the same boat until the only option I wanted was the hitch. Now I added lux to get that option. I want them to build as many as possible. At this point, it would be good for them to say this order pool has a chance to be built this year and break the news to those that have no shot. I don't want to miss out on a build but it would be nice to know. It is annoying now that I will spend more on Lux Package which is within the constraint but Ford won't guarantee that my dealer will even get the allocation. If went EB at least I would know I would get a truck, but the hybrid works for me.
Exactly... me too!

Chicolini

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150s, Mustang GT Convertible, Mazda B3000
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
{Snip}

OR -

You could actually observe Ford's actions and look at the vehicle mix they produced and are producing for MY22 and MY23. You can also look at the rapid expansion they've made for F-150 Lightning and Mach-E production while the Maverick production remains steady.
I recently had an opportunity to observe Ford's actions up close and impersonal. On Friday the 13th, the wife and I went to the Virginia Beach Auto Show, where Ford had a display, as one might expect. The F-150 Lightning and Mach-E were prominently displayed. Not a Maverick to be seen.

Ford did display a large chart. There were rows for each Ford model, and columns for the available colors. There was no row for the Maverick at all. To me, that clearly shows Ford's lack of commitment to the Maverick.

Ford doesn't give a crap about producing Maverick Hybrids.

Sponsored

wax87

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Avalon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I recently had an opportunity to observe Ford's actions up close and impersonal. On Friday the 13th, the wife and I went to the Virginia Beach Auto Show, where Ford had a display, as one might expect. The F-150 Lightning and Mach-E were prominently displayed. Not a Maverick to be seen.

Ford did display a large chart. There were rows for each Ford model, and columns for the available colors. There was no row for the Maverick at all. To me, that clearly shows Ford's lack of commitment to the Maverick.

Ford doesn't give a crap about producing Maverick Hybrids.
Well, I can understand why they would not want to bring more attention to a product that is already sold out for this year.

jimdouglas

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That would be short sighted as the Maverick is an entry level vehicle that would/will build customer loyalty to the broader consumer for maybe a lifetime. If Ford wants to lead in the electrification move, a positive experience is needed. A Hybrid Maverick now can lead to many more Ford purchases down the road. Been there!
I’m a life long Chevy buyer, and have been for 50 years. However Chevy does not offer a similar vehicle(although our local dealership says they have many inquiries every day). I have an XL hybrid Maverick on order, and no desire to change to a non hybrid. After decades Ford has finally done something to get me excited, so hopefully they can deliver!

Mike S

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Ecosport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I suspect that Hybrid availability is due to Ford's internal Hybrid powertrain production constraints. Based on what I have read, it looks like the majority of Hybrid powertrains are going into Mavericks.

Expanding the Hybrid Powertrain production capability is probably a pretty expensive proposition which might not make sense if Ford was planning to introduce a pure EV Maverick in the 25-26 model year. In that scenario, the Maverick Hybrid demand could be dramatically lower than it is today. Ford might not want put too much money into Hybrid Powertrain production lines if their long term strategy is to focus on pure EVs.

Connect

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That Toyota Hybrid (2024 Tacoma) pick up is going to start around $37,500....

And you better get ready to complain about Toyota screwing customers because you aren't walking into a dealer in 2024 and getting yourself a Tacoma Hybrid pal.
Why not?

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I didn't read through this entire thread so excuse me if this had been said already.

The low profit margin theory. Well On the Lightening has a 98 KW battery in it the low range version. The Mav I think has a 1..1 KW battery so you could build about 89 Mavs to ONE tightening,. The lightening is how much about 70 K ? 89 Mavs at about 26K x 89 = 2314 K Even with a MUCH lower profit margin I would say ford makes more money on using the battery material to make the Mav battery over the Lightening. Now this is profit margin so cost to build is not a factor. Obviously it cost more to build 89 mavs to ONE Lightening But were talking profit margin here.

Or am I totally not thinking this through fully? I have stop stop drinking to much caffeine.
Sponsored