First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Ford Escape
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for this! My wife is about to get a '22 Outback Limited and I'm planning on a Mav in a year or so.
Sponsored

OP
OP
dldsm7

dldsm7

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for this! My wife is about to get a '22 Outback Limited and I'm planning on a Mav in a year or so.
it’sa good family combination!! SUV and Truck!

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
I love my Subie, but the 23 mpg (+/-) I get is a huge reason why I ordered the Maverick.
The Outback also has AWD as I'm sure you know. An AWD Maverick is apparently rated for 22/29/25. But if AWD is not a benefit for you, the FWD hybrid will definitely save you some change at the pump!

I find a large box more useful overall than a partially always open smaller box.
As a person who was considering a 5th-gen Ford Explorer to replace a pickup truck, I say it depends on an individual's specific needs.

The big issue for me is that an SUV isn't a perfect box. The vehicle cabin tapers inward and downward toward the rear of the vehicle. Most SUVs also don't have perfectly flat load floors.

This presents an issue when loading square items like crates, tool boxes, or literal cardboard boxes due to both wasted space and package alignment and stability.

A pickup truck's bed tub maintains the same width from front to back, less of course the wheel arches.

Secondary issues include interior damage and cargo containment. SUVs have fully-finished interiors, which will show signs of wear and damage by repeatedly un/loading cargo, especially items that are bulky, heavy, dirty, wet, and/or oversize. Pickup beds, being painted metal boxes, are less prone to damage, especially when items like bed liners or bed mats are used.

Pickups have a multitude of cargo securement and containment options. And universal options are possible by simply screwing L-track or E-track to the bed floor, bed rails, or anywhere desired. SUVs are limited to the factory fixed-point tie down hooks, or improvising by hooking to whatever is available...seat rails, headrest posts, LATCH anchors, etc.

Very light-duty tie downs can be screwed into an SUV's plastic interior panels, but the panels themselves are typically held on to the vehicle structure with plastic "Christmas tree" body plugs that aren't designed to be load-bearing.

Karmic

First Name
Mack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Thank you for this! I've got a 2021 Outback Onyx Edition, and I've been driving myself crazy comparing dimensions between the two. I love my Subie, but the 23 mpg (+/-) I get is a huge reason why I ordered the Maverick.
I sadly have a spreadsheet with specs for a wide variety of cars. Not a sedan person. I move weird shaped things fairly often. (Artist.) When this was announced...a hybrid that has actual utility, I was so excited. Just waiting somewhat patiently.

Sponsored

Fotomoto

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Clarity, C-Max Energi, & Prius
5” more? The AWD shown is only 2” more (legroom) - subi is 38.1 while maverick is 36.9”! I thought it would “feel closer” than it was
C&D says thee 22 OutBack is close to 40 inches and the Maverick is 35.9 so it's about 4 inches more. At the huge risk of running smack into an old joke, 4 inches is a lot when you're talking legroom. My C-Max is about 36 inches and going back/forth to our OutBack was quite noticeable back then.

Fotomoto

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Clarity, C-Max Energi, & Prius
I say it depends on an individual's specific needs.
Absolutely.

It's being honest with one's situation and determining if it's really a true need or rather a want. The ol' "What if I want to...." conundrum.

I want a hybrid pickup but as large box vehicles have shown me over the years, I don't really need one.

Recycling backlog due to covid.

Ford Maverick Ford Maverick vs Subaru Outback size and legroom compared IMG_8003

75 inch tv in Mazda 5.

Ford Maverick Ford Maverick vs Subaru Outback size and legroom compared IMG_8337

I want the economy of the hybrid with the ability to tow light loads (motorcycles) and handle very poor roads, huge potholes, unpaved roads, and high water (creek crossings). So=Maverick!

OP
OP
dldsm7

dldsm7

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
C&D says thee 22 OutBack is close to 40 inches and the Maverick is 35.9 so it's about 4 inches more. At the huge risk of running smack into an old joke, 4 inches is a lot when you're talking legroom. My C-Max is about 36 inches and going back/forth to our OutBack was quite noticeable back then.
ahhh well my wife’s Outback is a 19 so justcomparing with a car I sit in weekly

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Seems there are two separate and vary different guides to turning radius- I have been confused on this for awhile as our AWD highlander turns like a train while other AWD units have a better radius somehow- Hoping the Maverick would be better
Same here. Our Ranger has a nice, tight (for its size) turning radius yet our Honda Ridgeline has the same turning radius as the Queen Elizabeth II.. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Sponsored

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
“Nine inches longer, same width or slightly narrower and two inches taller”

Not sure what to make of that… 😆

MHTR2018

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester, Ford F150
I'm only 5' 9" but I have stumpy legs and a tall torso. I drive a Subaru Forester because it is one of the few cars I can get into without bumping my head. I stopped at a Ford dealer this week to find out when I could get a chance to sit in a Maverick (I'll have to wait until Oct). While I was there I was able to sit in a Ranger. Bumped my head with the seat all the way down. Damn! Waiting for October. If I can get in and out easily I'm all in for an XLT.

staryoshi

First Name
SJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Chevrolet Colorado
Current 14 Forester owner - I appreciate side by sides with the Subies as there's some overlap in the consumer demographics here.

I love a lot about the Maverick as an upgrade, but I wish the Maverick was a step up in terms of height. Both ground clearance and seating position to make it less of a 'crossover with a bed' and more of a compact truck. I'm probably best suited to holding out hope for some kind of tremor edition Mav. Living in the woods, my Forester does everything but tow and haul, and I don't want to lose any capability as a trade off when I upgrade. A bed that fits plywood and 4000lbs of towing is perfect for my hauling needs.

My ideal upgrade would be Ranger-sized, but the ranger platform is just too dated and many of the other mid-size trucks get worse economy than a F-150 or are also dated.

Sorry about the tangential mini-rant :)

OldSoulNewMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Soul
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just got back from the dealer. Bumped my head trying to get in. Damn...
20211013_094210.jpg

Guess I'll be sticking with my Forester.
I googled the specs, and it shows the headroom almost identical? Was the Maverick seat all the way down? or did it have a sunroof?
Sponsored