First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford Maverick Ford Maverick vs Subaru Outback size and legroom compared CA65E234-F6DC-4594-B0D2-7E8F5A217638

I had a chance to see the maverick yesterday in person - it was a great little truck! It was the Lariat FX4 package.

As you can see from the photo - the maverick definitely looks taller than the outback (and looks like the roof is too!). The tall hood really sells the truck being a truck! When the engine bay was open, it did look like there was a solid 8"+ of airspace between the engine and hood (while on my focus/outback its more like 2"). Otherwise the truck was such a nice size. The dealer had a ranger on the lot and when I walked up next to that one, it felt pretty large (at the bed especially), even though the maverick is only a few inches shorter.

I will have to say that the one thing that I was surprised about is the rear leg room - it wasn't as 'comfortable' as I thought it would be. The outback next to it has the "same" amount of space inside the cab, but the maverick felt a little smaller somehow. I could fit in both seats, but back seat my knees were right up against the seat (6'-2"). Perhaps I didnt have the font seat perfectly positioned, but just my initial thoughts.

Updated with dimensions posted by @tonyinsd :

For comparison, here are the dimensions of the Outback:

Ford Maverick Ford Maverick vs Subaru Outback size and legroom compared CA65E234-F6DC-4594-B0D2-7E8F5A217638

And dimensions for the Maverick:

Nine inches longer, same width or slightly narrower and two inches taller
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
dldsm7

dldsm7

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Are they only letting giants try out the Maverick? Where are all the 5' 10" people at.
Sorry! The trainer was sub 6' and when he adjusted his seat to where he was, I was able to fit comfortably (well, moreso) behind him!

Guardian

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Smartcar,Alfa Romeo Spyder,Pontiac GTO,Taurus SHO
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

This car was high on my list. So glad I 'm going with the Maverick. I like that it sits a bit higher.

PapaNer

First Name
Ner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hyundai Veloster 2.0 Premium
CA65E234-F6DC-4594-B0D2-7E8F5A217638.jpeg

I had a chance to see the maverick yesterday in person - it was a great little truck! It was the Lariat FX4 package.

As you can see from the photo - the maverick definitely looks taller than the outback (and looks like the roof is too!). The tall hood really sells the truck being a truck! When the engine bay was open, it did look like there was a solid 8"+ of airspace between the engine and hood (while on my focus/outback its more like 2"). Otherwise the truck was such a nice size. The dealer had a ranger on the lot and when I walked up next to that one, it felt pretty large (at the bed especially), even though the maverick is only a few inches shorter.

I will have to say that the one thing that I was surprised about is the rear leg room - it wasn't as 'comfortable' as I thought it would be. The outback next to it has the "same" amount of space inside the cab, but the maverick felt a little smaller somehow. I could fit in both seats, but back seat my knees were right up against the seat (6'-2"). Perhaps I didnt have the font seat perfectly positioned, but just my initial thoughts.
Glad to see this. Didn't really think about the difference, but my wife has a crosstrek which is slightly smaller than the outback, so I'm surprised that the Maverick is going to be a little taller, haha!

Sponsored

codavis2

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thank you for this! I've got a 2021 Outback Onyx Edition, and I've been driving myself crazy comparing dimensions between the two. I love my Subie, but the 23 mpg (+/-) I get is a huge reason why I ordered the Maverick.

Fotomoto

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Clarity, C-Max Energi, & Prius
Had a new 2015 OutBack. Yeah, rear seat room can't be compared as the subie has much more plus rear seats recline (nice). Checking specs, it looks to be a whopping 5 inches more. Don't carry passengers much so it's not a huge issue for us.

Honestly, if subaru cross-licensed more toyota hybrid tech like they did with the crosstek hybrid and put in in outback, I'd get it over the mav. hybrid as I find a large box more useful overall than a partially always open smaller box.

Connect

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
CA65E234-F6DC-4594-B0D2-7E8F5A217638.jpeg

Thanks for this. I am really interested in how the rear seat is going to feel. I currently drive a 2014 Nissan Rogue and am satisfied with rear legroom.... Maverick has about 1-2 inches less I think, depending on Hybrid vs Eco but I am hopeful.

ProfBaldie

First Name
Vito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback 2013 & 2020
Thanks for the photo, Dan. Visibility is another strong suit of the Outback. Seems like Maverick will also have good visibility. I like the wide expanse of windshield compared to the Subie. Hope the highway MPG beats the Outback (it shines with cruise control on the highway but is lousy in the city, even with start-stop). Plan on taking the Maverick next summer to visit the last three states I’ve yet to see — Wyoming and the Dakotas. Cheers!

Deleted member 1370

im 5'8 almost 5'9 so for me i bet it would be perfect and anyone sitting behind me would have plenty of space. depends on how tall ya are i bet

Sponsored

ProfBaldie

First Name
Vito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback 2013 & 2020
Current Outback and Maverick have similar dimensions — but the latter is 20 lbs heavier, 8 inches longer, 2 inches higher and 13” more wheelbase (all figures rounded). About the same width, ground clearance, rear seat space, approach and departure angles. Big difference for me is the 4 ft in turning circle (36.1 feet for Outback compared to 40 for Maverick) and rear legroom (39.5“ for Outback compared to 35.9” for Maverick). But 3.6” difference is not too much considering that the Outback has LOTS of rear seat room.

tonyinsd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT, Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For comparison, here are the dimensions of the Outback
Ford Maverick Ford Maverick vs Subaru Outback size and legroom compared 1630074523682

And for the Maverick
Ford Maverick Ford Maverick vs Subaru Outback size and legroom compared 1630074593357

Nine inches longer, same width or slightly narrower and two inches taller

dano0726

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is that the "official" Maverick turning circle @ 40.x? The Bronco Sport turning radius is 18.7, so I assumed the Maverick would be identical...

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is that the "official" Maverick turning circle @ 40.x? The Bronco Sport turning radius is 18.7, so I assumed the Maverick would be identical...
Seems there are two separate and vary different guides to turning radius- I have been confused on this for awhile as our AWD highlander turns like a train while other AWD units have a better radius somehow- Hoping the Maverick would be better

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The longer wheelbase of the Maverick increases the turning diameter over the Bronco Sport.

HRG

Ford Maverick Ford Maverick vs Subaru Outback size and legroom compared 2021-Ford-Bronco-Sport-overlayed-with-2023-Ford-Maverick-prototype-001-1024x682
Sponsored

Attachments