Sponsored

Ford Maverick Tire Differences XL vs Lariat Issue (Tire Upgrade Fit 17 to 18 inches for XL Model)

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thank you @Discount Tire for looking into this. I just want to make sure that there is actual specs and scientific evidence behind this to back this up. Not just because a system says something. Systems can always be updated. Even the 2.0L Ecoboost 4k tow package lariat uses the 225/60/R18 100H rated tires which is the same setup as my XL trim. Please make it right if there is no evidence to say that this can't be done.

Screenshot_20230516-080427_Samsung Internet.jpg
That's true, I have the lariat AWD and 4K Tow pkg and mine came from factory with the Michelin tires. Had ZERO issues with towing loads
Sponsored

macaroni_life

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The stock XL tires are Continental ProContact 225/65R17 102H, while the Lariat does indeed drop the load rating to 100H. This appears to be a function of sizing up to 18s. I searched all 225/60R18s on Tire Rack and of the 94 tires available, 4 are 99-rated, 70 are 100-rated, while only 20 are 104-rated.

In reality, the 220 lb weight rating difference is not actually going to make any difference to your vehicle because that's per tire not the entire load. If you loaded up an entire corner of your truck with 1,984 lbs instead of the 1,764 lb weight limit of 102s, you would have exceeded the capability and capacity of the truck and will likely not be moving anywhere.

Discount Tire

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
Engine
Undecided
Thank you @Discount Tire for looking into this. I just want to make sure that there is actual specs and scientific evidence behind this to back this up. Not just because a system says something. Systems can always be updated. Even the 2.0L Ecoboost 4k tow package lariat uses the 225/60/R18 100H rated tires which is the same setup as my XL trim. Please make it right if there is no evidence to say that this can't be done.

Screenshot_20230516-080427_Samsung Internet.jpg
So I've taken a dive down that rabbit hole trying to find the "smoking gun" that gives us the answer we are looking for. One thing that stands out is total curb weight. Some Mavericks have a curb weight of 3,074 lbs and others have a curb weight of 3,750 lbs. 676 lbs doesn't sound like a lot, but it can make a big difference when you look at things like fluid capacities, (different size fuel cells), engine displacement, cargo capacity, and towing capacity. That's just part of the equation. Now add physics to the mix.... subtle changes in aerodynamics, downforce, etc...all play a role in determining what tire is needed to handle a particular vehicles output.

Bottom line...Ford engineers deem it necessary to put certain tires on certain makes and models. For the safety of our customers, and the people around us, we have to do the right thing, and follow their recommendations.

OP
OP
leejust

leejust

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
@Discount Tire I appreciate the answer.. just sort of feels like a "cop out" answer though because the specifics of what we were trying to compare is Lariat vs XL and what makes them different. I believe the curb weight differences are due to engine differences between hybrid and Ecoboost. However, I am comparing 2.0L Ecoboost with 4k tow package Lariat vs 2.0L Ecoboost with 4k tow package XL. In this setup the lariat allows for the 100H rating. Again... XL is the base... If anything the lariat would weigh more with more options available... @Ford Motor Company I would appreciate if you could chime in here and help us understand why when comparing 2.0L Ecoboost with 4k tow package Lariat vs 2.0L Ecoboost with 4k tow package XL, the 100H rating works for the lariat and not the XL trim...

I'm not trying to open up a huge debate. I bought new tires that I can't return because they are second hand and just want to put them on. Tires are expensive and I found a good deal. I have OEM maverick lariat wheels and the specd out tires on what comes out of the factory for lariat tires

Last edited:

EngineeredDetails

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 F150, 2016 Fusion, 2017 Explorer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Interesting... I think the max payload is 1500lbs so it should be fine.... Just confused why the lariat would have a lower rating than the XL??
[/
Interesting... I think the max payload is 1500lbs so it should be fine.... Just confused why the lariat would have a lower rating than the XL??
It all comes down to the sidewall (which is what dictates load index). A 225/65-17 is going to have a sidewall of 146.25mm (225mm*.65) and a 225/60-18 is going to have a sidewall of only 135mm (225mm*.60). A Lariat, especially if it is loaded with options is going to be heavier (e.g., moonroof, power seats, power sliding window, extra electronics, etc.) which all affects its payload capacity. Not every single Maverick has a 1500 (assuming FWD) payload capacity. You can look at differently optioned Mavericks and compare the sticker in the driver's door to see the different payload capacities. And to muddy up the waters even more that load index is at max tire pressure which is also listed on the tire. My XL's are 102H (1,874lbs) at 51psi while the manufacturer suggest inflation to only 35psi. Basically, if you're carrying/hauling a large load you would inflate your tires to compensate for that load but not to exceed 51psi for that particular tire. I hope this helps you some...

Sponsored

OP
OP
leejust

leejust

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
@Discount Tire I appreciate the answer.. just sort of feels like a "cop out" answer though because the specifics of what we were trying to compare is Lariat vs XL and what makes them different. I believe the curb weight differences are due to engine differences between hybrid and Ecoboost. However, I am comparing 2.0L Ecoboost with 4k tow package Lariat vs 2.0L Ecoboost with 4k tow package XL. In this setup the lariat allows for the 100H rating. Again... XL is the base... If anything the lariat would weigh more with more options available... @ford
It all comes down to the sidewall (which is what dictates load index). A 225/65-17 is going to have a sidewall of 146.25mm (225mm*.65) and a 225/60-18 is going to have a sidewall of only 135mm (225mm*.60). A Lariat, especially if it is loaded with options is going to be heavier (e.g., moonroof, power seats, power sliding window, extra electronics, etc.) which all affects its payload capacity. Not every single Maverick has a 1500 (assuming FWD) payload capacity. You can look at differently optioned Mavericks and compare the sticker in the driver's door to see the different payload capacities. And to muddy up the waters even more that load index is at max tire pressure which is also listed on the tire. My XL's are 102H (1,874lbs) at 51psi while the manufacturer suggest inflation to only 35psi. Basically, if you're carrying/hauling a large load you would inflate your tires to compensate for that load but not to exceed 51psi for that particular tire. I hope this helps you some...
Thanks for your input. That's exactly my point. The lariat if anything will be heavier when comparing "apples to apples" engine trims.

Oscarcat

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Lariat, Lexus NX 300 Chrysler PT Cruiser 5 spd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wheels and tires aren't together. Would need a machine
Yes, liability issue are the reason Discount Tire won't do the swap. Take the new wheels and tires to an independent shop, as them to mount and balance the tires on the Lariat rims
Hello,

I have a ford maverick xl which has the stock 225/65/r17 continental procontact tx. I just recently purchased maverick OEM Lariat Wheels and crossclimate 2 tires that are sized as 225/60/18 100H which FITS the lariat. HOWEVER, going to Discount tire, they would not switch this for me because they say that I could risk "blowing my tires out" even though I think the lariat and xl are basically the exact same vehicle besides some minor cosmetic and interior differences.... They are saying I need a 104H for the xl... Is what discount tire saying true?? Or should theese tires work? Can anyone suggest where I could get this done if discount tire won't?
When you sort it all out and are ready to have the tires mounted and balanced, tell them you want tape weights on the inside of the wheel, not weights hammered onto the outside of the rim. Hammering them on damages the finish on the rim forever. Be sure and write it on the work order or they can claim you never told them after the damage is done. YES, you can write on the work order!!!

OP
OP
leejust

leejust

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes, liability issue are the reason Discount Tire won't do the swap. Take the new wheels and tires to an independent shop, as them to mount and balance the tires on the Lariat rims
When you sort it all out and are ready to have the tires mounted and balanced, tell them you want tape weights on the inside of the wheel, not weights hammered onto the outside of the rim. Hammering them on damages the finish on the rim forever. Be sure and write it on the work order or they can claim you never told them after the damage is done. YES, you can write on the work order!!!
100% reason why discount won't do it is the liability issue which I can respect and understand, but I think it still requires an explanation from Ford on why this is the case because there is no rationale why this won't work for the XL models...

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for your input. That's exactly my point. The lariat if anything will be heavier when comparing "apples to apples" engine trims.
I think you missed his point. It is in the side wall the 60/18 tire is a lighter weight tire and the 65/17 has more sidewall. Note that a 235/60/18 can have 102 up to 107 load rating and have heavier construction. Think this way 18" rims are for looks more so than 17" rims meant for work. I do see your line of thinking. If you got a good deal sell them and find a deal on some 235/60/18 for your rims. You might try utires.com (used tires with free shipping you can select amount of tread remaining). It would have been nice if Ford had specified the 18" to have 102H rating.

OP
OP
leejust

leejust

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think you missed his point. It is in the side wall the 60/18 tire is a lighter weight tire and the 65/17 has more sidewall. Note that a 235/60/18 can have 102 up to 107 load rating and have heavier construction. Think this way 18" rims are for looks more so than 17" rims meant for work. I do see your line of thinking. If you got a good deal sell them and find a deal on some 235/60/18 for your rims. You might try utires.com (used tires with free shipping you can select amount of tread remaining). It would have been nice if Ford had specified the 18" to have 102H rating.
Thanks for your comment. I understand what it says on paper and on the side of the tire. I also understand the 17 inch tires are more tire while the 18s are the other way around. Still, from a feasibility and capability standpoint should work for the XL as I don't think ford would say that the XL is more capable than the lariat. Also, I am saying that there needs to be a change to what is written as no one has yet to tell me what the structural differences are between the XL and Lariat besides cosmetic differences and more options which this would create more weight in the lariat than the XL which should mean that the Lariat needs the heavier tire, no?

Last edited:
Sponsored

Dueces

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD Maverick XL, 2004 Insight Turbo
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So I've taken a dive down that rabbit hole trying to find the "smoking gun" that gives us the answer we are looking for. One thing that stands out is total curb weight. Some Mavericks have a curb weight of 3,074 lbs and others have a curb weight of 3,750 lbs. 676 lbs doesn't sound like a lot, but it can make a big difference when you look at things like fluid capacities, (different size fuel cells), engine displacement, cargo capacity, and towing capacity. That's just part of the equation. Now add physics to the mix.... subtle changes in aerodynamics, downforce, etc...all play a role in determining what tire is needed to handle a particular vehicles output.

Bottom line...Ford engineers deem it necessary to put certain tires on certain makes and models. For the safety of our customers, and the people around us, we have to do the right thing, and follow their recommendations.
@Discount Tire I think you might have switched some numbers around. There is no Maverick from 22+ that weighs under 3600lbs.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for your comment. I understand what it says on paper and on the side of the tire. I also understand the 17 inch tires are more tire while the 18s are the other way around. Still, from a feasibility and capability standpoint should work for the XL as I don't think ford would say that the XL is more capable than the lariat. Also, I am saying that there needs to be a change to what is written as no one has yet to tell me what the structural differences are between the XL and Lariat besides cosmetic differences and more options which this would create more weight in the lariat than the XL which should mean that the Lariat needs the heavier tire, no?
Yes it should mean that to carry the same load as the xl the tire should be heavier, the lariat however comes preloaded with the weight of the options it has, therefore Ford just wants the load adjusted down to fit the tire plus other things. Have you considered taking the tires and rims and having mounted and balanced and then diy install but then there would be the TPMS problem. I am going to change tires when my Michelin primacy on my lariat die. You are right tires are high but unfortunately like everything else will get much higher in the not too distant future. I am wondering how the soon to come if they aren't already here TPMS which will mount on the inside of the tire and not on the rim will affect tire price if they cannot be moved to a new tire??? The world is moving on and many changes will happen.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
@Discount Tire I think you might have switched some numbers around. There is no Maverick from 22+ that weighs under 3600lbs.
According to Ford specs the EcoBoost FWD in lightest configuration is just under. Certainly nothing near 3,074lbs, however.

Last edited:

ejouie

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ford Maverick, Atlas Blue, FWD, EcoBoost, XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I think the 100H are a bit softer than the 102H which would give a softer more "luxurious" ride.

So, despite being heavier, the Lariat gets the softer tires. The result is a lower payload rating. To maintain the higher payload rating of the XL, the stiffer tires are required.

Just a theory.

OP
OP
leejust

leejust

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think the 100H are a bit softer than the 102H which would give a softer more "luxurious" ride.

So, despite being heavier, the Lariat gets the softer tires. The result is a lower payload rating. To maintain the higher payload rating of the XL, the stiffer tires are required.

Just a theory.
Thanks for your reply. I think the lariat regardless gets only one option of "standard" wheels in the build your own maverick online which is the 225/60/R18 100H. Ive seen posts of lariats with 1519LBS payload and still use this tire configuration. My XL is 1437LBS Payload so this cant be the reason I believe.
Sponsored

Last edited: