Sponsored

Ford Maverick Tire Differences XL vs Lariat Issue (Tire Upgrade Fit 17 to 18 inches for XL Model)

leejust

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hello,

I have a ford maverick xl which has the stock 225/65/r17 continental procontact tx. I just recently purchased maverick OEM Lariat Wheels and crossclimate 2 tires that are sized as 225/60/18 100H which FITS the lariat. HOWEVER, going to Discount tire, they would not switch this for me because they say that I could risk "blowing my tires out" even though I think the lariat and xl are basically the exact same vehicle besides some minor cosmetic and interior differences.... They are saying I need a 104H for the xl... Is what discount tire saying true?? Or should theese tires work? Can anyone suggest where I could get this done if discount tire won't?
Sponsored

Bhdreadnaught

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition Max
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You have Lariat OEM wheel and tires you are wanting thrown on there? Snag a cheap floor jack from Harbor Freight and swap them out yourself?

EngineeredDetails

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 F150, 2016 Fusion, 2017 Explorer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hello,

I have a ford maverick xl which has the stock 225/65/r17 continental procontact tx. I just recently purchased maverick OEM Lariat Wheels and crossclimate 2 tires that are sized as 225/60/18 100H which FITS the lariat. HOWEVER, going to Discount tire, they would not switch this for me because they say that I could risk "blowing my tires out" even though I think the lariat and xl are basically the exact same vehicle besides some minor cosmetic and interior differences.... They are saying I need a 104H for the xl... Is what discount tire saying true?? Or should theese tires work? Can anyone suggest where I could get this done if discount tire won't?
The "H" designation is nothing but your speed rating so you're fine there. The "100" and "104" is your load index. The 100 has a load rating of 1764 lbs while the 104 has a load rating of 1984 lbs. If you're doing a lot of hauling/towing then it is certainly wise to NOT move down to a lower load rating. Moving up is perfectly fine though

OP
OP
leejust

leejust

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You have Lariat OEM wheel and tires you are wanting thrown on there? Snag a cheap floor jack from Harbor Freight and swap them out yourself?
Wheels and tires aren't together. Would need a machine

OP
OP
leejust

leejust

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The "H" designation is nothing but your speed rating so you're fine there. The "100" and "104" is your load index. The 100 has a load rating of 1764 lbs while the 104 has a load rating of 1984 lbs. If you're doing a lot of hauling/towing then it is certainly wise to NOT move down to a lower load rating. Moving up is perfectly fine though
Interesting... I think the max payload is 1500lbs so it should be fine.... Just confused why the lariat would have a lower rating than the XL??

Sponsored

Syntax Error

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Hybrid Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It's the load rating of your tires. 100H may not be enough for the Maverick, especially if you decide to tow/haul like the previous poster said. Return the tires and get tires with a load rating that at least matches OEM at 104H.

TedTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Good info on this thread, tire shops seem extra careful these days even the fly-by-night one refused to remount an aged tire on its rims for a trailer I have never taken off the farm.
There are no differences between XL and Lariat truck but size of tire/rim used. But, the different tire is what they are addressing. Its just wise to match or exceeded load. They aren’t the only shop in town/around so if you need someone skilled to put on tires go elsewhere.
I would be glad they pointed out the issue and not just refuse because you maybe not bought either tire or rims from them.

paneubert

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL/4K/AWD/CoPilot/CactusG/SlidingRearWindow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Larrythelunatic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Toyota Pickup. 22 IS hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Just looked at my Hybrid Lariat tires.
Michelin Primacy 225/60/18…….100H.
From the factory.
Tire shop should be able to research this.

OP
OP
leejust

leejust

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just looked at my Hybrid Lariat tires.
Michelin Primacy 225/60/18…….100H.
From the factory.
Tire shop should be able to research this.
@Discount Tire can we please get a response on this? From the understanding of this thread, there should be no reason why discount tire cannot put these tires on for me for my Ford Maverick XL? There is no differences from a capability standpoint for the XL vs Lariat?

Sponsored

Discount Tire

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
Engine
Undecided
Hello,

@Discount Tire is a sponsor on here. Let's get the answer right from them. @Discount Tire , paging @Discount Tire . Customer Call on Line 1.
@Discount Tire can we please get a response on this? From the understanding of this thread, there should be no reason why discount tire cannot put these tires on for me for my Ford Maverick XL? There is no differences from a capability standpoint for the XL vs Lariat?
Hello All. Ok here's the deal...the 100H SL tire, at 36 psi does not meet the load carrying capacity that the vehicle requires. The 104 XL, on the other hand does. It's a small difference in load carrying capacity, but a difference none the less.

At one time, Michelin did make a Cross Climate SUV (vpn 13118) which was a 104W XL, but has since been discontinued.

Hope that helps.

OP
OP
leejust

leejust

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
@Discount Tire thanks for the reply. Can you explain the science behind this? I get what is written and what your system says... However what is the difference between the XL and Lariat structurally that doesn't allow the XL to have this? From what is understood, they are exactly the same except for cosmetic differences in the interior and exterior. If anything... The lariat should handle more than the XL and not the other way around, No? I would appreciate a reply. Thanks.

Discount Tire

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
Engine
Undecided
@Discount Tire thanks for the reply. Can you explain the science behind this? I get what is written and what your system says... However what is the difference between the XL and Lariat structurally that doesn't allow the XL to have this? From what is understood, they are exactly the same except for cosmetic differences in the interior and exterior. If anything... The lariat should handle more than the XL and not the other way around, No? I would appreciate a reply. Thanks.
I don't have an answer at my fingertips, but let me dive into this a little deeper. We'll figure it out together. I'll have an answer for you soon.

Larrythelunatic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Toyota Pickup. 22 IS hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Hello All. Ok here's the deal...the 100H SL tire, at 36 psi does not meet the load carrying capacity that the vehicle requires. The 104 XL, on the other hand does. It's a small difference in load carrying capacity, but a difference none the less.

At one time, Michelin did make a Cross Climate SUV (vpn 13118) which was a 104W XL, but has since been discontinued.

Hope that helps.
At 36psi, perhaps.
At 42psi, are they OK?
Further……..
Did Ford put the wrong tires on all of our hybrid Lariats?
Recall? (Heh, Heh!)

OP
OP
leejust

leejust

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't have an answer at my fingertips, but let me dive into this a little deeper. We'll figure it out together. I'll have an answer for you soon.
Thank you @Discount Tire for looking into this. I just want to make sure that there is actual specs and scientific evidence behind this to back this up. Not just because a system says something. Systems can always be updated. Even the 2.0L Ecoboost 4k tow package lariat uses the 225/60/R18 100H rated tires which is the same setup as my XL trim. Please make it right if there is no evidence to say that this can't be done.

Ford Maverick Ford Maverick Tire Differences XL vs Lariat Issue (Tire Upgrade Fit 17 to 18 inches for XL Model) Screenshot_20230516-080427_Samsung Internet
Sponsored