Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ford Maverick, Atlas Blue, FWD, EcoBoost, XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I just got home from meeting with Ford engineers at what they called a customer clinic. It started with one of those Ford Customer Survey emails. It lead to an invite to this event.

First thing they do is have you sign this waiver. Good thing though as it means test drives. It means being able to bypass the dealer and replicate the issues right in front of the person that can actually do something about the design.

Ford Maverick Ford Maverick Customer Clinic Atlanta: Meeting With Engineers PXL_20230603_170533290

Next up was meeting with various engineering teams. They start with asking about stuff from the survey and then branch off to things that might be new or about potential new features.

Ford Maverick Ford Maverick Customer Clinic Atlanta: Meeting With Engineers PXL_20230603_180924546

Electrical

Asked about:
-the android auto connectivity issue
-if all 4 windows being one touch up/down would be appealing
-how satisfied I was with the auto high beams (I mentioned that they struggle with dusk and twilight. Lots of on/off and don't want to accidentally signal gangs)
-if auto wipers were appealing (I said no)

When asked about other wish list items:
I mentioned a 1200w inverter and a cell signal booster for a potential overland package.

Also mentioned that the next gen sync would eliminate the cubby.

Exterior

Asked about:
-windshield rattle (determined it wasn't external)
-water leak from the rear driver door (was able to recreate and found that the door was inset significantly relative to the body compared to the others)

Wishlist items:
I mentioned would be tie downs above the wheel wells as a value option compared to the rails.

Interior

Asked about:

-Interior comfort
-Windshield rattle
-Interior noises (I mentioned that they might want to add some dynamat to the rear by the subwoofer for the B&O option)

Wishlist items:
-there were memory position seats, cooled seats, proper height adjustment.

Powertrain

Asked about:
- Powertrain satisfaction
- If I would want an engine cover (I said yes for sound deadening reasons)
-How much would I expect to pay for an engine cover ($50)

I did mention that I have some mild power surging in the 1600-2000 rpm range. He said that the computer doesn't finish its learning process until 3000-5000 miles.

Vehicle Engineering

Asked about:
-windshield rattle (went on a test drive with me about that)
-general satisfaction
-towing (I mentioned how the 4K cuts it close for towing something like a 21ft bunkhouse, but the Santa Cruz could do it)
-If I cross shopped
-Ford accessories (I mentioned about how the hard roll-up and bed extender don't play nice together and how the mudflaps leave a gap on the rear driver's side)
-If I used my under-seat storage (I said yes, but car seats for my children limit that. A split fold would help a lot in that regard.)

I also suggested a pass through for the rear bench to allow safter lumber transport. Might work if other C2 vehicles have this already.

They also agreed to a picture.

Ford Maverick Ford Maverick Customer Clinic Atlanta: Meeting With Engineers PXL_20230603_181005507

It was difficult to demonstrate the rattle in the parking lot due to the loud overpass.

Ford Maverick Ford Maverick Customer Clinic Atlanta: Meeting With Engineers PXL_20230603_180909896

Ford Maverick Ford Maverick Customer Clinic Atlanta: Meeting With Engineers PXL_20230603_180905378

They are fairly certain though the windshield rattle is the tab that needs to be bent back. The locator pin issue.

I did not have time for the marketing team. The vehicle Engineering team test drive went until the gates were closing.

It was good to be able to provide the voice of the customer. If you get one of these events in your area, I highly recommend them.

I also got a $200 check, a water bottle, FITS accessories, and a blanket picnic mat?

Ford Maverick Ford Maverick Customer Clinic Atlanta: Meeting With Engineers PXL_20230603_212924452

Ford Maverick Ford Maverick Customer Clinic Atlanta: Meeting With Engineers PXL_20230605_103755905

Ford Maverick Ford Maverick Customer Clinic Atlanta: Meeting With Engineers PXL_20230603_224648309

Ford Maverick Ford Maverick Customer Clinic Atlanta: Meeting With Engineers PXL_20230603_224710857

Ford Maverick Ford Maverick Customer Clinic Atlanta: Meeting With Engineers PXL_20230603_235501073

Ford Maverick Ford Maverick Customer Clinic Atlanta: Meeting With Engineers PXL_20230603_235507045
Sponsored

Last edited:

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had that same opportunity when I bought then brand new Ford Taurus. I think it was in the early ‘80’s.

It was a half day deal and they gave us $50 when we left. Plus I got a new dash replacement out of the deal.

Great experience!

Baloo

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4 Lux Ordered
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Toyota does this. I was invited back in 2008 to their Scion one.

Was a interesting experience, as they as invited the dealers.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

@ejouie

Nice write-up and thanks for doing this.
I got an invite to do this in 2006.

I was one of the first 10,000 hybrid owners, EVER when I got my 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid.

I had a similar experience but got to go to Ford HQ in Dearborn, MI.

They had set up a replica "city cycle" and invited owners to drive theirs, or a company vehicle on the test route while an engineer sat in the back or co-pilot seat to give new owners tips for maximum MPG in these new gadgets called "hybrids".

The 2005 FEH was much like today's Maverick, but with a 2.3L Atkinson I4 engine, married to a very similar transmission, with a 330 volt 1.6 kWh NiMH battery of which you could use 0.225 kWh for EV mode. (As you may or may not know the Maverick has a 220 volt, 1.1 kWh LiIon battery but we are able to use 0.44 kWh for EV mode, so we are getting more utility, from a technically smaller battery pack.)

The 2005 FWD (we had optional AWD in 2005... boggles the mind why not now...) got a 36 MPG City Rating.

Ford Engineers who developed it practiced the city cycle and competed for MPG among themselves. Best they could squeeze out of the Escape was 50 MPG City (only).

On my "ride along" I got the standard spiel of "Our top engineer was able to get up to 50 MPG under ideal conditions after many days of practice. We don't expect our customers to be able to do that, but everyone should be able to get the advertised 36 MPG by following the tips and tricks the co-pilot engineer will share with you during your ride along."

I put quotes for clarity, but it was verbal and well, 17 years ago so it's not a literal quote but went something like that.

On my test drive with Ford Engineer, AND my travel partner, AND a local newspaper reporter in the car, I got 54.0 MPG computer calculated on the dash (the metric used for the day).

I was a legend in my own time, and got some take-home swag, and had a VERY GOOD Ford experience starting in 2005.

Kept the 2005 FEH until someone else totaled it in 2019 otherwise I'd still be driving it. It was "killed" at 235,000 miles with original everything except tires and brake pads, and the original brakes lasted 200,000 miles, the regen braking was that effective way back in 2005. And the original tires lasted 80,000 miles. Regular oil changes every 15,000 miles. You read that right. Based on Used Oil Analysis FACTUAL results I changed the Mobil 1 extended life every 15,000 miles.

The Maverick has been, shall we say, off to a bumpy less than confidence inspiring start.

Any customer feedback event, is well worth it if you are a car or truck enthusiast.

The blue bar came from some of these customer meetings. I know. I was there with other hybrid enthusiasts early on requesting it and similar.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Ponchsox

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Did you happen to comment on how easily
the paint chips?

groovesocket

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Atom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

But... all 4 windows are already 1 touch up/down. Lol

Awesome info for sure.
All four windows in my Maverick are touch and hold up and down, except my driver window, which is 1 touch (touch and release) down. I still have to hold it for the driver window to go up. Maybe you have a special window lux package?

2016BoostedGreyGoose

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 F150 CC XLT, 21 F150 RCSB, 22 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
All four windows in my Maverick are touch and hold up and down, except my driver window, which is 1 touch (touch and release) down. I still have to hold it for the driver window to go up. Maybe you have a special window lux package?
Yes I have a Lariat Lux...

Sponsored

Old Ford Guy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Hybrid Lariat ; 2016 Linc Navigator
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I just got home from meeting with Ford engineers at what they called a customer clinic. It started with one of those Ford Customer Survey emails. It lead to an invite to this event.

First thing they do is have you sign this waiver. Good thing though as it means test drives. It means being able to bypass the dealer and replicate the issues right in front of the person that can actually do something about the design.

PXL_20230603_170533290.jpg

Next up was meeting with various engineering teams. They start with asking about stuff from the survey and then branch of to things that might be new or about potential new features

PXL_20230603_180924546.jpg

Electrical

Asked about:
-the android auto connectivity issue
-if all 4 windows being one touch up/rown would be appealing
-how satisfied I was with the auto high beams (I mentioned that they struggle with dusk and twilight. Lots of on/off and dont want to accidentally signal gangs)
-if auto wipers were appealing (I said no)

When asked about other wish list items
I mentioned a 1200w inverter and a cell signal booster for a potential overland package.

Also mentioned that the next gen sync would eliminate the cubby.

Exterior

Asked about:
-windshield rattle (determined it wasn't external)
-water leak from the rear driver door (was able to recreate and found that the door was inset significantly relatve to the body compared to the others)

Wishlist items I mentioned would be tie downs above the wheel wells as a value option compared to the rails.

Interior

Asked about:

-Interior comfort
-Windshield rattle
-Interior noises (I mentioned that they might want to add some dynamat to the rear by the subwoofer for the B&O option)

Wishlist items there were memory position seats, cooled seats, proper height adjustment.

Powertrain

Asked about:
- Powertrain satisfaction
- If I would want an engine cover (I said yes for sound deadening reasons)
-How much would I expect to pay for an engine cover ($50)

I did mention that I have some mild power surging in the 1600-2000 rpm range. He said that the computer doesn't finish ots learning process until 3000-5000 miles.

Vehicle Engineering

Asked about:
-windshield rattle (went on a test drive with me about that)
-general satisfaction
-towing (I mentioned how the 4K cuts it close for towing something like a 21ft bunkhouse but the Santa Cruz could do it)
-If I cross shopped
-Ford accessories (I mentioned about how the hard roll-up and bes extender dont play nice together and how the mudflaps leave a gap on the rear driver's side)
-If I used my underseat storage (I said yes, but car seats for my children limit that. A splitfold would help a lot in that regard.)

I also suggested a pass through for the rear bench to allow safter lumber transport. Might work if other C2 vehicles have this already.

They also agreed to a picture.

PXL_20230603_181005507.jpg

It was difficult to demonstrate the rattle in the parking lot due to the loud overpass.

PXL_20230603_180909896.jpg

PXL_20230603_180905378.jpg

They are fairly certain though the windshield rattle is the tab that needs to be bent back. The locator pin issue.

I did not have time for the marketing team. The vehicle Engineering team test drive went until the gates were closing.

It was good to be able to provide the voice of the customer. If you get one of these events in your area I highly recommend them.

I also got a $200 check, a water bottle, FITS accessories, and a blanket.

PXL_20230603_212924452.jpg

PXL_20230603_224648309.jpg

PXL_20230603_224710857.jpg
WOW! i am officialy jealous. what a cool thing to have access to the very folks who are responsible for the best little truck in America.

dbmurray

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Escape Titanium
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'd love to get in a room with whoever at Ford is in charge of orders.

I'd like to express in clear terms how wrong it is for them to accept an order in January, but to then cancel it 10 months later without ever asking the would-be customer what they actually want; how when that customer's dealer lies to them about a build date being scheduled rather than placing a new order for the next model year, that it would be nice if Ford would give the customer the option of switching their 10-month old order to a more reliable dealer; how "there's nothing we can do now" is, and always should be, the wrong answer to give a customer who has waited patiently for 10 months.

Lekz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wow! Would've loved to be invited to one of these!

grumpyunk

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mariner 85 Ranger 97 T-bird 87 Sable
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I got the letter, filled out the survey, but they didn't ask me...Waaaahhhh
Sponsored