Sponsored

Ford is the anamoly...New-car sales plunge: Supply constraints and rising prices limit buyers

Dave_in_PA

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Last edited:

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
wow- Nice find if true

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well, ok but these sort of articles are often based on old information. I wouldn't put too much stock in it. There was another article recently saying that certain types of motor oil would be in short supply. I talked to someone in the industry who just laughed and said "that was 11 months ago!".

There's no doubt sales sucked over the last 12 months but that's 12 months they've had to figure out supply issues. Much has changed.

OP
OP

Dave_in_PA

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well, ok but these sort of articles are often based on old information. I wouldn't put too much stock in it. There was another article recently saying that certain types of motor oil would be in short supply. I talked to someone in the industry who just laughed and said "that was 11 months ago!".

There's no doubt sales sucked over the last 12 months but that's 12 months they've had to figure out supply issues. Much has changed.
I think you're reading into things a little too much. The general message of the article is pretty accurate.

Sales are down for every manufacturer.

Chip shortages are causing major problems for every manufacturer.

Average new car prices are more than double what most Maverick's cost.

Vols44

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Edge
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My job takes me around a large city all day. Unless I'm seeing mirages, most newer vehicles on the road these days are GMC Acadias and Nissan Frontiers. I suspect most of those vehicles were impulse purchases of stock vehicles.

Sponsored

Area51BS

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Just at an oil change facility and they were out of certain grades.

Jmav2152

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Mav, 15' KTM 1190 ADV R, 19' Husq TE250i
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I got my oil change today and while I waited and poked around they had 5 f150s ready to be picked up along with a expedition and a Maverick. The 150 Tremor was a absolute beauty of a truck and with the sticker off waiting for pickup I went ahead and built it on fords site to get an idea of the cost. $68,000!!! I sometimes feel guilty buying a Loaded Mav for 36OTD but then something like that completely turns my perspective upside down.

The cheapest 150 out there was stickered at 46k and that was a STX. I was at a loss for words tbh.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My job takes me around a large city all day. Unless I'm seeing mirages, most newer vehicles on the road these days are GMC Acadias and Nissan Frontiers. I suspect most of those vehicles were impulse purchases of stock vehicles.
Depends on where you are. Most of the new vehicles I've noticed are Hyundai or Ford. Then again it's a lot harder to tell when you at looking for new vehicles when many of them are deep into a body style cycle.

Zolutar

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid, 21 Bronco Sport OB+
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Anyone who would thing Ford is the only automaker struggling with the chip shortage would indeed be a fool. All automakers are struggling. I know a guy who has been waiting for his chevy truck for almost a year now. Look at other industries, labor shortages, supply constraints...its an issue everywhere.
I get it, being patient sucks, I have been waiting 6 months now myself and do not expect delivery till around X-mas and I feel I am being optimistic with that idea as well...but I look at the Toyota Dealer lot by the ford and its empty, where the ford has 3 or 4 new vehicles where in the past, the lots were full....oddly enough Stellantis (Chrysler/Jeep) has a full lot....but no one seems to be buying lol(or what I have hear is they have vehicles, but mostly missing parts/chips and unsellable). I really hope I am wrong, but I think things are going to still get worse yet, before they get better.....

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nissan Frontiers. I suspect most of those vehicles were impulse purchases of stock vehicles.
The new Nissan Frontier base trim had a crazy 97-99% 18 mo lease residual promo for the first few months of the year. So long as there wasn't any extras thrown on, you could get one for around $300/mo or less.

Sponsored

CMOS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Forte5
I am ***IN*** the semiconductor industry. I deal directly with wafers and individual die.

The semiconductor shortage will not even begin to get better until late 2023. I predict a normal supply chain of semiconductors by late 2025.

Buckle up. We're in for a long wait.

CMOS

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just at an oil change facility and they were out of certain grades.
Just don't over generalized is all I'm saying. Just because one vendor is out of stock doesn't mean the products are unavailable across the board. My post was in reference to specific oil additives that are relevant to a particular market segment, not the whole market. Someone found out about that shortage, wrote an article generalizing to the whole market months after that specific shortage was resolved. But it does take time for the entire supply chain to fill up.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think you're reading into things a little too much. The general message of the article is pretty accurate.

Sales are down for every manufacturer.

Chip shortages are causing major problems for every manufacturer.

Average new car prices are more than double what most Maverick's cost.
There is no doubt everything you say is true. But what's happening right now is different than what was happening a year ago. Things were different a year ago and should improve. There are signs that they are.
Sponsored