Sponsored

Ford fanboys/fangirls what would make you leave Ford

Maven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Henry Ford was only the 'chief engineer' of the original Ford Motor Company. He was not the owner as most believe. Ford Motor Company was getting ready to build hand made high $ luxury models like the rest of the industry at that time but Henry had a different idea. Henry wanted to improve the lives of rural farm workers and people of more meager means by producing affordable transportation. Henry proposed the Model T. Building cheaper vehicles was not a good business model to the original investors so the idea was rejected. Henry conjured up a plan.

When his plan was ready to go Henry Ford took a full page ad out in the NY Times stating that he was Henry Ford and he was looking for investors to help him start a new company with a better vision. As expected, Ford Motor Company shares tanked as the stock started to get dumped on Wall Street. What good was the Ford Motor Company without a Ford? Henry went into action on his plan. He had shadow companies begin purchasing the shares as value plummeted until he had a majority stake in the original Ford Motor Company. He then took control and fired the two original investors from their leadership positions in the company. The two left on bad terms with their sworn intent to form their own Auto Company and then use it to 'bury the Ford Motor Company.' At least Henry was now free to pursue the Model T and the rest is history.

Oh, the two that left were the Dodge brothers. The company they started was Dodge Motors.

Luckily for us they were not successful in their mission so we get the new Maverick. Both companies are still with us with Dodge part of Fiat-Chrysler. So in the end there is an actual connection between your name Dodge and the Ford Motor Company. The two Dodge brothers funded the original startup!
Ford has a weird history, 1902 Ford by Henry Ford pretty much became Cadillac. Seems like a missing piece here. Very tight nit group back in the beginning.

https://www.hagerty.com/media/people/why-henry-leland-is-unknown-in-detroit/
Sponsored

eRay

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Nissan Kicks, 2009 F-150 STX
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
When I was young I always drove Chevys. In 1984 I bought a new Monte Carlo Super Sport. Two days later I noticed a peck in the engine. I called the dealer and was told engine problems might tie up their shop for several days and I needed to take it to another dealer for the warranty work. I called Chevy's customer service and was told my warranty could be used at another dealership to just take it to a different dealer than the one I bought it at. I got an attorney and stopped payment on the check. They agreed to fix the car, pay me for a rental, give me an extended warranty, and pay my attorney fees. When they checked the car it had the wrong dipstick in the motor. It was hitting the crankshaft. They sold a 6 cylinder van the same day and mixed up the dipsticks. I have bought probably 15 news Fords since then and not a single GM product. Ford customer service stood behind me when I had a small problem with a dealer and I haven't forgotten that.

Shecster

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1930 Model A Ford - 1971 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My saying for years has been “ I’ll drive anything that has gas in it”.
I know a guy that was raised in an all Ford and Ford only family. His dad must be spinning in his grave as he has owned Honda‘s and Honda’s only for 35 years. To each his own.
I have been pretty loyal to Ford as far as American vehicles... but I do have a soft spot for VW air cooled Bugs and Busses. 😎

silvy

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Sorento
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was a Ford guy from 2002 until 2014. I ultimately left them due to multiple breakdowns. My first Ford was a 2002 Taurus, around 100k miles it starting leaking every fluid. My son had a 2002 Explorer, had to put a new transmission in at 90k miles. My last vehicle was a 2003 Explorer, which blew a head gasket at 140k miles. Traded in the Explorer on a 2014 Kia Sorento, my current ride. Looking forward to my new Maverick....hopefully bringing me back to the Ford family.

CASD57

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
Grew up hot-rodding GM products... Had some fast AMC's.....but If I was to say what brand has been driven into my head as reliable...Never a problem it would have to be Toyota and I've had several that lived up to that... So for a brand I always come back too in my older self it would be Toyota. and their pricing has gotten better for the lower entry stuff...Still really tempted by either the SR 2WD Crew Cab for under $29000 or the SR access cab 4WD for around $30,000 So if this Maverick doesn't work out that will be the direction I'm going...
I would have entertained a Santa Cruz but the Dealers put a bad taste in my mouth with this addendum BS
Chevy....Can't stomach their crap anymore after my current rig it has been reliable but 13mpg even with the crappy unreliable AFM system...It rides like a bloated whale....I guess that is Chevys idea of a luxury ride
Ram/Dodge..... Traded a Challenger Rallye Red Line in for my Wife Buick Envision It was nice and fast for a V6 but totally worthless in the snow...We garaged it in the winter.
Heard too many horror stories of front in problems
Dodge has always been know for great drive trains...but poor quality interiors...
Loved my 68 GTS Dart with a 340-4spd but it ate lifters with the radical cam that was in it...
Never really own many fords..most were at their end-life when I got them.
The Maverick clicks a lot of boxes and the price is the topping on a perfect package Now let's see if Ford can come through with Delivery and product.... or I just might go back to Toyota

Sponsored

Altivo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Altivo
Threads
Reaction score
Website
altivo.dreamwidth.org
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Was there ever a Time that you thought of jumping ship and going to another manufacturer. Or maybe you did, what made you come back for the Maverick.
To be honest, I'm not particularly a Ford fan. I have no brand loyalty when it comes to vehicles. My dad worked for GM as an engineer for 30+ years and he had a brand loyalty. (Also was afraid to park a competitor's vehicle in the lot at work.)

I've owned Opel (bleah to that one,) several VWs, Chevy Geo, Jeep, and Ford. All had strong and weak points. At this point my loyalty is to my particular local Ford dealership, who has treated me well and honestly for 20 years, even when I was driving the Jeep Cherokee. I started letting Ford service the Jeep because I was really unhappy with two local Chrysler/Jeep dealers who had worked on it. Ford took that in stride and did a really good job for me. That's why I bought an Escape in 2006 and have driven it since then with few problems thanks to their excellent service department. When they finally warned me that rust to the undercarriage was making the vehicle unsafe, it was natural for me to look to Ford product lines for the next purchase as well. The new Maverick looked perfect for my needs and the price for a hybrid is unbeatable, so it was an easy decision.

I wasn't expecting to have to wait months for delivery, but hopefully it won't take as long as it is looking right now.

Falcon first

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3, BMW M235 coupe
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My only Ford ever was my first car, a used 1960 Ford Falcon station wagon my dad bought me when I was 15 and I had a learners permit. It was a POS but I loved that car. After 17 BMW’s, 4 Jeeps, 4 Toyotas and 5-6 GMs I had never owned a truck or a hybrid and said I got to have one of those. So after 50 years since my Falcon died I will be reunited with Ford (hopefully).

OP
OP
A Dodge that drives Fords

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus Ford Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was a Ford guy from 2002 until 2014. I ultimately left them due to multiple breakdowns. My first Ford was a 2002 Taurus, around 100k miles it starting leaking every fluid. My son had a 2002 Explorer, had to put a new transmission in at 90k miles. My last vehicle was a 2003 Explorer, which blew a head gasket at 140k miles. Traded in the Explorer on a 2014 Kia Sorento, my current ride. Looking forward to my new Maverick....hopefully bringing me back to the Ford family.
My wife had a 2003 Taurus SEL that had lots of problems. Then in 2019 it got hit. She said "Tauruses are the only Ford I like" so we started looking for her next car. What did we find another Taurus LoL now she has a 2015 Taurus that she loves.

buckaroo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Fit
Was there ever a Time that you thought of jumping ship and going to another manufacturer.

Never was to begin with, I try to buy what suits my needs. Albeit the very first new vehicle with 4 wheels I ever owned was in fact a Ford. But it was more by accident then thought.

The biggest detriment to manufactures our their dealerships, of which they have very little control over. And they are all shysters, from Mercedes's to Ford and I've own them all.
It's highly doubtful anyone gets a Maverick at suggested retail and those who say order one fail to understand you can only do that with stellar credit or cash up front.

Ford had lost it's way from the core beginnings of what had made them America's vehicle. They made it possible for average Smoe to own a vehicle, during the Great Depression when the sharecroppers where fleeing looking for an opportunity even they could afford a Ford.

The assumption is people have money out here, we don't, 3/4 of the population are operating on a shoestring. Most are driving over priced vehicles on a lease and in over their heads. Driving a Ford F-150 to go grocery shopping.

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I have owned them all, except Toyota. No disrespect, but I have my reasons that most wouldn’t understand and it doesn’t matter. I buy what makes sense and what I consider a good value. My luck with FoMoCo has been good but I still get what want and that’s my recommendation to everyone. Get what you want not what a website or someone else likes. Most new vehicles are decent but the bottom line is what do you want and/or like, you find it, negotiate a value and go from there. Regardless of the brand, get what works for you, you are spending your money, feel good about it.

Sponsored

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4, Chevy Chevelle SS, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’ll add my list too I guess. Not a fanboy by any stretch of the imagination, Maverick is just right at the right time.

99 Chevy Trailblazer - High School/College/Beginning adult life
08 Audi A4 - Current
71 Chevelle - Current

Also drove one of my dads 66 Mustangs when I was in high school

JBnorthTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2013 Honda CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I grew up preferring GM to Ford (except 1960s Mustangs), then bought Mazdas and Hondas. More recently I had a Fusion and currently drive '19 Mustang. I don't view myself as a fanboy of any brand, but I've come around to liking Ford better than in the past.

OP
OP

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus Ford Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have owned them all, except Toyota. No disrespect, but I have my reasons that most wouldn’t understand and it doesn’t matter. I buy what makes sense and what I consider a good value. My luck with FoMoCo has been good but I still get what want and that’s my recommendation to everyone. Get what you want not what a website or someone else likes. Most new vehicles are decent but the bottom line is what do you want and/or like, you find it, negotiate a value and go from there. Regardless of the brand, get what works for you, you are spending your money, feel good about it.
What does FoMoCo stand for.

Fear
of
Missing
out
Car
opportunity

LoL 😁 I agree whatever vehicle works for your specific needs is the right vehicle for you. Even if it's not a Ford 😳

OP
OP

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus Ford Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Two of my friends I've known for over 40 years we love to pick on each other.

One is a GM fan
The other is a Chrysler fan
Then there's me the Ford fan

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In my younger days I never had a Ford. I have been a die hard MOPAR Fan most of my life. I purchased the 2016 Ram 1500 Stinger Yellow Sport while working in Texas. I took a job in West Virginia and pulled a trailer and thought I was going to die. I traded it for a 2017 F250. After 6 months I traded and downsized to the 2018 F150 w/EcoBoost. I've liked Ford's trucks ever since. Still a MOPAR Fan but not until they come up with a better truck with a gas engine. If you ask me about diesel then RAM all day. The one thing that can't be beat is their Cummins Diesel.
Ouch...Cummins is great....but powerstrokes are awesome too last ad long as cummins
Sponsored