Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mazda 3, 2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Admin update:

Here's the bulletin sent from Ford to dealers:

via https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...me-matching-policy-getting-more-strict.44560/

Ford Order Name-Match Policy Changes
Next month (June), Ford will increase its name-match threshold to 75%, up from the current requirement of 70%. As a result, dealers will need to ensure that more verified orders are delivered to the customers they were ordered for. With the changes, dealers will have a lot less leeway in case the names don't match up on a car.​
In addition, a provision allowing 120 days from the "order receipt date" and "dealer delivery date" will be totally eliminated, forcing every violation to count against dealers. An appeals process for dealers will also take into account the sale date as opposed to the order date, affecting 2022 Fords sold on or after June 1st.​
Ford's changes are likely meant to reflect the reality that more customers are placing orders rather than buying a car or truck off the lot. Given that demand has far outstripped supply, stricter name-match rules could be a good thing for consumers. Last month, the company even stopped taking 2022 F-150 Lightning orders.​
If dealers violate the policy, they risk severe penalties. The biggest change is a 1-month "total allocation forfeiture." There doesn't appear to be much room for error, with a dealer's 3rd violation resulting in "expulsion" from the company's Name Match and Integrity Policy as well as other imposed limitations.​
80% Ford Name-Match Policy Coming
Whether or not Ford will really become an "order-only" car brand remains an open question. However, Ford's dealer announcement also gives us a peek at its future intent, stating that it has a "plan to increase to 80% after the launch of 23MY vehicles." This would mark a major move in the direction of an order-focused brand.​
As we reported recently, Ford is planning to significantly reduce the complexity of stocked vehicle configurations. This may compel more car buyers to place an order. Once implemented, this could potentially limit the ability of a consumer to buy the car they want from dealer stock, already complicated by a chip shortage.​
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

LeersMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Maximus GP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PriusV, Sonata PHEV, F-50 Mavrick Lariat Hybrid FE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Great for consumers. Dealers are held MORE accountable.
Worked in auto industry for over 30 years for dealers and manufacturers. So glad Ford is doing this.

Also, retail order, or retail order only, is used for many reasons, but in this case, because of parts and chip shortages, manufacturers must be able to utilize/maximize the supply as it becomes available. It is a matter of "need" and not "want" in this case.

Mercedes-Benz used retail order immensely until 2002 when it changed to mass production in order to compete with BMW & Cadillac (yup, Caddy) for #1 sales for luxury brand. It's still available, but only for European orders/pick ups.

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'd be all for sworn statements - both as a buyer and dealer. Finance managers will need to become a notary!

I will sign a notarized intention to buy, as long as the dealer will do the same on an agreed price. My notarized statement also says I have 30 days to pick up my vehicle, and requires a 2nd notarized statement in the event I back out on the purchase. $50 fee acts as deposit and is effectively the notary cost, non-refundable if I back out, placed toward purchase as long as I buy.

Any dealer going to bite? :p

Dun4791

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy,dodge, ford,vw,honda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Too bad ford can’t just eliminate the buying process altogether at the dealership. Make them a delivery and service center. Cut the new car salespeople and finance people totally out of the equation. The dealerships have been giving ford corporate a bad reputation for years. Time to change, and the dealers have no one to blame but themselves.

Good riddance

Sponsored

Stoopid313

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat awd eco
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’m curious what happens if the person that ordered the vehicle doesn’t want to take delivery??
I’ve been thinking about canceling my order.

Sirk

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick XL Hybrid, '05 Honda Element
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'd be all for sworn statements - both as a buyer and dealer. Finance managers will need to become a notary!
Yeah. Something tells me that the finance manger is the l-a-s-t person you want acting as the gatekeeper for this process. Notary should have no vested interest in the transaction.

Sirk

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick XL Hybrid, '05 Honda Element
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’m curious what happens if the person that ordered the vehicle doesn’t want to take delivery??
I suppose this is why the requirement is 75%, not 100%. Dealers who are playing by the rules will have the occasional customer cancellation. As long as they are delivering 75% (eventually 80%) of their orders to the customer who placed the order, they are free to take the canceled vehicle and put it on the lot. If they are already exceeding the 75% threshold, the dealer would likely have to cancel the order when the customer cancels...clearing space in the pipeline for bonafide customer orders.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Too bad ford can’t just eliminate the buying process altogether at the dealership. Make them a delivery and service center. Cut the new car salespeople and finance people totally out of the equation. The dealerships have been giving ford corporate a bad reputation for years. Time to change, and the dealers have no one to blame but themselves.

Good riddance
Why even a delivery center? Carvana brings vehicles right to your door. Eliminate the middle man and reduce costs. Let people order at invoice price and Ford still saves on dealer Cashback/holdback and other incentives.

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There is a process for the retail customer sign and attest that they do want the vehicle for a specified reason and that order won’t count against the dealer. That is in effect today.

Sponsored

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think the Ford split is gonna really help customers. Buy direct from Ford. Take delivery at your dealership. Assuming you're cool with a BEV. Note the second-to-last paragraph below. And the usual caveat that this is just an announced plan for now. And that your current Ford dealership may not sign up (meaning it cannot sell future Ford BEV product).

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/02/ford-splits-evs-and-legacy-autos-into-separate-units.html

Tbolt

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' EcoSport SES, 22' Lariat Lux FX4 Eco Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There is a process for the retail customer sign and attest that they do want the vehicle for a specified reason and that order won’t count against the dealer. That is in effect today.
I was wondering about that. There are a bunch of posters on here that built 3 or more with the plan to take the first available. Since most dealers didn't take a deposit there was no risk involved. Seems like that could screw over dealers in a hurry. But what happens if the customer just ghosts the dealer and doesn't bother to come back to sign such a statement? My guess is deposits will have to be much more common. I know I paid one with my order.
Sponsored