Sponsored

aberdeenmeadows

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat Spider 124 and Mazda 6
I saw the dash-cam as a dealer-installed option and I asked my salesman about it. He is still working on finding more information about it. One of the dash-cam packages looks like it has all the wiring, plus a front, back and interior camera. I am wondering, too, about if it saves the video to an SD card(s) so I can save my trips.

Currently, I have a front dashcam plugged in, but nothing fancy!

Fotomoto

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Clarity, C-Max Energi, & Prius
One possible downside (for me) is it appears these need the OBD port which I typically use for other devices.

Connect

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I saw this the other day as an option when doing a build. I think this is a GREAT idea. I want to put a dash cam in my next vehicle but wanted to make sure it looked professional. I would totally get this option.

Fotomoto

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Clarity, C-Max Energi, & Prius
I would totally get this option.
If you get it at the time of purchase or ordered it with the vehicle, it gets the 3/36 warranty; otherwise it’s only for one year. Might be a big deal for some since these stay out in the sun so much.

Sponsored

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche Macan S/2023 Integra 6MT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was quoted $400 to install this package by Chapman Ford.

OP
OP

MAVRICK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Any
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When looking into the Ford Dash Cams (Part No. VHL3Z-19G490-D) listed in the Ford Accessories WEB Page I noticed that the Ford Dash Cams (package) include a OBDII connector wire harness as the one option to install (and power) the Dash Cams. I then went to the OEM for the Dash Cams (Thinkware WEB Site) seeking additional information on features and installation of the Dash Cams. I noticed that the OEM - repeatedly - warned that the OBDII connector harness was not to be used with hybrid/ electric vehicles but Ford includes the OBDII connector harness in their Ford branded packages with no warning or restrictions on their use/ installation with hybrid/ electric vehicles ... I contacted the Dash Cam OEM "Thinkware" to ask about this discrepancy and this was their response: "We are not sure why Ford is offering the OBD Cable for electric vehicles, however, we are currently reaching out to Ford to ensure that they are aware that the OBD Cable is not compatible with electric/hybrid vehicles". ... Unknown if the same issue would apply to non-hybrids (i.e. Ecoboost) ... so Ford, if you're lurking and see this, would you mind providing clarification on the use of the OBDII harness connector (included in Part No.VHL3Z-19G490-D) with the Ford Maverick Hybrids ... thanks

psklenar

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rivian R1T
Interesting. I wonder how this will play out. I was going to include the 3-way cam on my built, but the dealer said it was a Dealer Installed option and therefore I won't be charged for it until they have the vehicle on the lot. In as much as I don't expect to see it for 6mo or so ... hopefully this issue will be sussed out by then.

pat----

Mark Rash

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick, 2015 Nissan Rogue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes, I'm still trying to figure this out too. I like the thought of just having my dealer do the install, but can't figure out about compatibility of the OBD interface with the hybrid. Meanwhile, I contacted BlackboxMyCar, a site that specializes in all sorts of dash cams, and they have an OBD interface that is compatible with hybrids and could be used with Thinkware cameras. That doesn't answer the question about Ford's offering, though.

I'd like to assume Ford would only offer dash cams that are compatible with hybrids, since they make several - but we all know how assumptions can go.

Last edited:

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
One possible downside (for me) is it appears these need the OBD port which I typically use for other devices.
You can just get an OBD II splitter for 2 or more OBD II devices. I am using a 2-way splitter for the AllState Milewise adapter and the ELM-327 device without any issues.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173738058954

Ford Maverick Ford DASH CAM Packages OBD II Spliter.JPG

Last edited:
Sponsored

LiveWire

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mache GT
When I placed my order I opted for the dash cam package and my dealer said they added it to my order but were not sure if it was a factory installed item. I have not heard any updates as of yet but am hoping that it is indeed a factory install.

Canis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VWs
OP
OP

MAVRICK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Any
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You can just get an OBD II splitter for 2 or more OBD II devices. I am using a 2-way splitter for the AllState Milewise adapter and the ELM-237 device without any issues.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173738058954

OBD II Spliter.JPG
The issue is not having enough connections ... in fact, the Ford provided (thinkware brand) OBDII connector has a "passthrough" option built-in which allows you to keep the original connectivity on the vehicle native OBDII connector after the thinkware/ Ford OBDII connector has been installed ... the issue seems to be the electrical signals that are generated or active through the OBDII connector in a hybrid while operating in different modes or in standby mode. Ecoboost should be fine.

Thanks for the split OBDII connector provided. Good to know that it is available if needed.

Thrillhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I'm guessing that since this plugs into the OBD, it monitors your driving speed and things like that? I'm looking for a good dash cam set up, preferably something with front and rear cameras.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was quoted $400 to install this package by Chapman Ford.
That's a joke, I put dashcams in all our family's vehicles and its usually so easy to do with just a plastic panel pry tool and some common sense. You can also pick the latest best dashcams, so I would definitely DIY.

This is a good one the Viofo A119 V3 I've used in a few vehicles, very discreet, if you have power in a mirror you can tap into that, otherwise any USB port.

^make sure youtube video quality is set to 1440p
Sponsored