Sponsored

Tennessee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta ST
These claims have floated around for years and been resoundingly proven false in real world test.
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2013/08/pickup-truck-tailgates-and-fuel-economy/index.htm#:~:text=We found that adding a,decreased efficiency to 21.5 mpg.

Just to add to what I'm saying, if there was some configuration that improved mileage, truck makers would preconfigure the trucks to work that way. With CAFE standards what they are, they want every ounce of fuel efficiency they can get. Truck beds are designed to create an air vortex when the tailgate is up that maximizes fuel efficiency. Disrupting that vortex by putting on a cover or dropping the tailgate will change the aerodynamics the truck was designed to have, and lower efficiency.
Fascinating, thanks for the insight.
Sponsored

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm one for function-over-form, but to me, that shell/cap/topper makes the Maverick look like a hearse. I'll buy it if it's the only option, but I hope ARE can figure out how to make a DCU for the Maverick. I've had DCU's on my last two trucks and love the utility they provide.

I have the built-in toolbox option on the driver's side, which gives me storage space in what would otherwise be dead space where a window would be. And I have a full door on the passenger side, which makes reaching for items that are against the forward wall of the bed a breeze.
DCU??

The One

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2015 Mustang Ecoboost converti
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Actually, it was only a 16' Starcraft SS160, but it does give perspective of how much smaller compact trucks were back then,,,,

HRG

Courier with Starcraft SS160 resized.jpg
I haven't seen a Courier in a long time thanks for the nostalgic look back. I was working at a Ford dealer when they where sold new.

Sponsored

Woody_Finch

First Name
Woody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Frontier, 2012 Focus, 2011 Fiesta
These claims have floated around for years and been resoundingly proven false in real world test.
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2013/08/pickup-truck-tailgates-and-fuel-economy/index.htm#:~:text=We found that adding a,decreased efficiency to 21.5 mpg.

Just to add to what I'm saying, if there was some configuration that improved mileage, truck makers would preconfigure the trucks to work that way. With CAFE standards what they are, they want every ounce of fuel efficiency they can get. Truck beds are designed to create an air vortex when the tailgate is up that maximizes fuel efficiency. Disrupting that vortex by putting on a cover or dropping the tailgate will change the aerodynamics the truck was designed to have, and lower efficiency.
Whenever I see someone with their tailgate down (or even removed) in an effort to increase MPGs, I always figure that guy must've slept through his high school science classes. Or at the very least couldn't be bothered to google it before making that decision.

Jukebox Nero

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Maverick Lariat Alto Blue FX4 4k 2.0 EB
Whenever I see someone with their tailgate down (or even removed) in an effort to increase MPGs, I always figure that guy must've slept through his high school science classes. Or at the very least couldn't be bothered to google it before making that decision.
Replacement tailgates can be costly. More often than not, I think you see the tailgate removed because it was damaged, or it was stolen because someone else's was damaged. Same reason you see so many that are mismatched in color. People run into trailers with them, a lot. The Chevy I used to use for work was simple to remove. Open to a 45-degree angle and lift. I always locked the topper to secure the tailgate, even when empty in the bed.

balucipher

First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tesla Model Y
Had a buddy with a Raptor get his tailgate stolen. Insurance paid out like $7k for a brand new tailgate for it

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hyundai Tuscon NLine
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The more I think about a bed cap, the more "meh" I feel about it. I think the tonneau looks much better on it.

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
if there was some configuration that improved mileage, truck makers would preconfigure the trucks to work that way.
Ram tried that with the 2015 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel HFE. They used the Tradesman quad cab configuration for the lower weight and best aero to start with, then added a factory-installed tri-fold tonneau cover and extended-length side steps to reduce turbulence. No other mechanical changes were made. They eked out I think one or two more EPA-certified MPG.

In fact, I believe Ram is trying the HFE again for the 2021 model year.

Had a buddy with a Raptor get his tailgate stolen. Insurance paid out like $7k for a brand new tailgate for it
I'm scared to see what the GMC Sierra MultiPro tailgates will retail for. I'd personally never own one, because one small brain cramp with the ball mount still installed will cost me several thousand dollars.

(In "Full-Width Step" mode, the lowest panel of the MultiPro tailgate clears the trailer hitch receiver opening by about half an inch).

The more I think about a bed cap, the more "meh" I feel about it. I think the tonneau looks much better on it.
I agree; tonneaus look better and let the truck keep it's truck shape, but then you're restricted to carrying things that are shorter than the bedsides unless you want to drive with the tonneau ajar or removed.

But on the flipside, folding tonneaus are easier to remove than a shell/topper/canopy, allowing you to carry things that are taller than the truck cab.

It's all about individual wants and needs. After having both, I will always have a shell/topper/canopy on my trucks. The types of stuff that I move regularly will fit in a bed with a shell but not with a tonneau. If it can't fit with a shell, I'll rent a trailer because it's a once-a-year thing at most.

I've tried tarping loads in an open bed, but that just costs a lot of time. You have to tie stuff down to survive category 1 hurricane winds for however long your driving, which makes it a time sink to grab one item out.

Sponsored

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I'm always a little leary of Consumer Reports' tests. They like their tabloid style headlines to sell magazines. Yes, they drove at the same speed both ways and used a fuel meter, but the worst difference was 0.9 mpg. How the driver accelerated in one direction could throw that off. Cross winds and gusts could have been totally different in each direction. I would put much more faith in a completely controlled wind tunnel test conducted by a manufacturer or independent entity.

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion, E450 Leprechaun
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think other firms may come up with aftermarket versions with better lines.

JamesHenry

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Fit, 2019 Honda Odyssey
I really like what they did with the side windows but the overall design.

WasChops

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Ltd + Maverick Lariat Hybr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I like the idea, but I don't like the design of the back end of it, seems scalloped for no reason. I'd like to see it pushed out flush with the tailgate. Other than that, it's awesome!
Aerodynamics....
Sponsored