hsinking1932

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In 2019, when the Mav was on its drawing board, Ford showed a 400,000 miles hybrid Escape New York taxi to media, even borrow it to several auto reporters for test driving. I know this is a company-led public relations campaign, but their articles are really convincing to me.

The Highest-Mileage New York City Taxis Aren’t What You Think
https://www.autotrader.com/car-news...rk-city-taxis-arent-what-you-think-255766?amp
Road test: A 2012 Ford Hybrid New York taxi with 400,000 miles
https://amp.detroitnews.com/amp/2142119001
2012 Ford Escape Hybrid Taxi Review – 400,000 Miles of Cabbie Farts
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2...rid-taxi-review-400000-miles-of-cabbie-farts/
For This Ford Hybrid, 300,000 Miles Is Just a Starting Point
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/for-this-ford-hybrid-300000-miles-is-just-a-starting-point/

Soups7

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX 350, 2008 Ford Ranger, 2011 Harley FLTRX
Did the Consumer Reports and Kelley Blue Book Ford Fusion hybrid have the same eCVT?

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
Did the Consumer Reports and Kelley Blue Book Ford Fusion hybrid have the same eCVT?
Yep! Ford's only used one design, albeit in 4 generations (Maverick will be 4G+)

We've had lots of C-Max owners (3rd gen) in the 250K mile range with no issues (beyond the bad tranny in early builds). It's a much simpler mechanism, so it ought to be far more reliable.

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Cabbies in NYC & Chicago drove the 2nd Gen Hybrid Escapes into the ground. I've ridden in several that looked abused, as they should have.

Sponsored

Soups7

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the replies.

Here is another question, the literature says the electric motor in the Maverick is a new Ford design. Has it been used before? Reliability?

Soups7

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, electric motors are inherently reliable, but they are, supposed to be using at least 2 new manufacturing techniques for the Maverick.

JsnMrd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes, electric motors are inherently reliable, but they are, supposed to be using at least 2 new manufacturing techniques for the Maverick.
Shake and Bake!" Lol I'm curious, what technique?

Soups7

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sponsored

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If I wasn't so interested in the Maverick I wouldn't be doing all this reading, but investing in the first year of any new model gives you food for thought. Probably do it anyway.
You sound curious to know the real there-there, and I think that's fair when people are willing to do their homework and not just give knee jerk reactions.

Did previous gens of the hybrid trans have issues? Yes. Nothing is perfect (despite GM thinking their Allison tranies are perfection.)

The 3rd Gen HF35 had a TSB for bearing failure. It's not clear why the bearings failed (trans fluid leak? not enough fluid poured at production?) so tranny had a kit fix.

The 4th Gen HF45 had a SSN (Stop Safely Now) issue. Again, not entirely clear what happened (some folks speculated an overvoltage / spike) but it was fixed with reprogramming, so all future production had the new program already.

The Maverick will get the HF45 with revised electric motors,so folks like to call it 4th Gen+. I couldn't find electric motor failures in past reports going back to Gen2 Escape Hybrid. If you find one, I'd be all ears.

The 2.5L gas engine has been around ... my god, for quite some time. It was in the Gen2 Escape Hybrids, but earlier than that if I remember right. It's had some minor tweaks over the years but the biggest change has been switching from Otto cycle to Atkinson. No major since, and it's not like the Ecoboost; the 2.5L is still naturally aspirated not turbo'd, fuel is SDI so basically manifold injected not direct injected, etc. There have been 0 issues with that engine in the past 10yrs.

Frankly, I'm expecting these new "safety" gadgets & gizmos the folks drool over will fail, like Steering Avoidance seeing phantom cars or BLIS going bonkers, well before the 4Hybrid powertrain has issues.

Last edited:

SpacemanSpiff

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tyreese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-15 Eagle
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just a bit of history, the Ford 2.5L is a variant of the Mazda L5 engine. This engine family is very reliable. I have a 2005 Focus that uses a 2.0L in the same engine family, and it has over 315,000 miles on it. Bought the car in 2007 with 38,000 miles on it. No engine work - ever. Rock solid design.

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
the Ford 2.5L is a variant of the Mazda L5 engine.
Ah, the good ol' days before Mazda & Ford broke up. I'd forgotten that this engine came from theirs.

casanewt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 KIA Sportage X-Line Prestige PHEV
Engine
Undecided
Ah, the good ol' days before Mazda & Ford broke up. I'd forgotten that this engine came from theirs.

Yep, there is quite a bit of Mazda and Toyota DNA in this hybrid trucklet.
Sponsored