Sponsored

Food for thought ( if you might be tired of waiting on a maverick )

OP
OP
GyroRon

GyroRon

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-250 Lariat, 2019 Mazda CX9, tons of bikes
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In my opinion, a Maverick is a car with a truck bed with the price of Corolla. I see no reason to even look at a Corolla. Maverick hybrid has very low power output but it has way more power than a Corolla.

Horsepower ratings are overrated....

Sure even the hybrid maverick has more power than a corolla, but does it really matter? Both vehicles will accelerate quite well, both will be capable of exceeding any speed limit in the USA, and I can not think of any reasonable situation where you would be wishing you had more power in a corolla and at the same time you would think a hybrid maverick would be your solution.
Sponsored

OP
OP
GyroRon

GyroRon

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
An SUV just the size of a CRV can do a lot of what a small truck can. I owned a CRV and hauled all kinds of building supplies, the loveseat I'm sitting on right now, a recliner, all kinds of crap. About the only time I had to grab a friend's truck was drywall, and that's just not something I buy all the time anymore. My Plan B, therefore, if I'm still not scheduled by late Fall is to return to an SUV, but find a hybrid version. The Mav ticks off all my needs in one package, but if I can't actually be granted one, then ... SUV it is.

The Hybrid CRV looks to be a very nice alternative to the maverick in my book.

Jatrax

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 VW ID.4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And yeah, no doubt a truck will be king at hauling plywood, especially a truck with a 8 foot bed. I just reckon that most people rarely go pick up plywood, unless your in the trades, and if that's the case its likely you already got a truck or van you use to begin with.
Generally most likely true. For me the Maverick ticked all the boxes. I don't want or need a big truck so the smaller the better as long as I can haul a few sheets of plywood when I need to. Price, mileage, flat towing, fits in the garage, can tow my small trailer, seats 4, sits up higher than a sedan. That was my whole list and the Maverick checked all of them. But that's just me. :):)

Automate

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Hybrid, Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The second you put a trailer on your car or truck for that matter the MPG drops significantly then add the weight of the cargo, even more. You put the same cargo in the bed of the truck MPG almost no drop maybe .5 MPG at 1000+ lbs but that is it. With that said it will come down to how often you need to trailer things you could otherwise put in the truck bed.

You also leave out another key detail. Toyota Corolla is only rated for 1500 lbs towing, Maverick is 2000 lbs by default. That 500 lbs is a big difference when you get down to smaller stuff like dirt bikes or jet skis or size trailer you can use with your existing loads.
When you factor in the 276 lb. weight of the folding trailer you are down to 1224 lbs on the Corolla.

Probably enough for most motorcycles etc. but not much when carrying gravel / dirt / sand etc.

OP
OP
GyroRon

GyroRon

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I drive a 2015 Corolla right now, and I've lately considered either a Rav4 or another Corolla. I'd like to support an American company, but I have more confidence in the reliability of Toyota vs. Ford. I've owned 4 Corollas and NEVER had a single problem beyond routine maintenance, although I don't drive them more than 75k before I get a new one.

I don't need a new vehicle. I simply want a small truck from an American company that gets decent gas mileage that can also handle the heavier snow falls where I recently moved to in Northern Minnesota. So far, my 35k mile Corolla is handling it ok, but obviously the lighter, low clearance, FWD vehicle gets stuck much easier than a truck at any size. I still might throw in the towel on the Maverick if I don't have it by summer, which will be about 9 months since I ordered it. That's a reasonable length of time to wait, for me.
I don't think unless you get a EcoBoost AWD maverick, that the maverick will do any better at driving in the snow than your corolla. Both are essentially front wheel drive cars.

I am not well versed on the entire current Corolla line up, but I do know they offer a Hybrid AWD model and they have a SUV / station wagon model that is offered with AWD as well. Pricing seems in line with the maverick pricing.

https://www.toyota.com/corollacross/

https://www.toyota.com/corollahybri...HnufUFBGQUv_PIUssEAaArjbEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Sponsored

BuddyS

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 R Design & 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Fair point, but of course there are 1000 what-if variables. What if you don't have a place to store the trailer? What if you like the higher driving position of the Maverick? What if you just like the look of a truck? The same rationale (or lack thereof) goes into any car purchase. If 99% of your driving is just you and one other person, do you need a car with a back seat (you could call an uber for those times you need move 4 people)? Does anyone really need a vehicle that goes 0-60 in 4 seconds? Is buying a Lexus LS Hybrid ever going to pay off in money saved at the pump? At the end of the day people tend to buy vehicles because they just want them and they dovetail with a combination of their values, image, needs, style, vanity, etc.

dapoad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Subaru Outback, 1998 Fleetwood Discovery 36T
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
New member here. I don't own a Maverick (yet) but I do own a 36 motor home. I currently drive/tow a '13 Subaru Outback with a 6-speed manual transmission. Flat towing capability is critical to me... but so is the ability to haul my wife's 4-wheel outdoor mobility scooter and climb some pretty steep grades when necessary (I live in western NC). How does the Maverick Hybrid do on hills?

OP
OP
GyroRon

GyroRon

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The second you put a trailer on your car or truck for that matter the MPG drops significantly then add the weight of the cargo, even more. You put the same cargo in the bed of the truck MPG almost no drop maybe .5 MPG at 1000+ lbs but that is it. With that said it will come down to how often you need to trailer things you could otherwise put in the truck bed.

You also leave out another key detail. Toyota Corolla is only rated for 1500 lbs towing, Maverick is 2000 lbs by default. That 500 lbs is a big difference when you get down to smaller stuff like dirt bikes or jet skis or size trailer you can use with your existing loads.
Your not 100 percent wrong, but your not 100 percent right either.

I typically see about 3-4 mpg loss towing a 4x8 trailer with three dirtbikes on it, verses what my car would get not towing. That is on longer drives with lots of highway miles. Around town, just to go pick up some supplies at Lowes, the MPG loss is so minimal it will be hard to quantify.

And putting a motorcycle in the bed of the maverick, you WILL likely lose some MPG due to the drag of a tall motorcycle in the bed of the truck. I will agree that you could put 500 pounds of lead weight in the bed of the maverick and likely not see much change in MPG, but 500 pounds of two tall dirtbikes in the bed, I would expect to lose at least 2-3 mpg on the highway. No different than picking up a mpg or two by putting on a bed cover.

And yes, many cars have very low tow ratings. Your not going to find much in the way of camper trailers light enough to tow behind a basic toyota Corolla! But to go pick up 30 bags of mulch, or some potted plants that you would have put in the bed of the maverick, you should be able to do that with a small trailer behind a corolla.

And this may be controversial, but I believe the tow rating on a car like a corolla or even the maverick is a bit underrated. I believe they come up with those ratings taking into consideration worst case situations. I believe say towing a trailer with two jets skis that all up weighs 2000-2300 pounds, 15 miles down a relatively flat, 35-45 mph road to the lake behind a corolla would be fine... But maybe not fine if your towing that same load up or down steep mountain twisty roads or trying to tow it on the expressway at 85 mph, etc....

One of the cars I owned was a 2013 Jetta TDI, and I towed a Kawasaki Teryx-4 on a 6x12 landscape trailer behind it many times to the local riding spot, never a problem. We also towed a 14 foot pop up camper behind my wives old 2005 Camry LE ( four cylinder ) on several trips, also not a issue. Couldn't drive like a A hole, and had to pay attention to keep myself out of any emergency maneuvers but wasn't a big deal.

OP
OP
GyroRon

GyroRon

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Fair point, but of course there are 1000 what-if variables. What if you don't have a place to store the trailer? What if you like the higher driving position of the Maverick? What if you just like the look of a truck? The same rationale (or lack thereof) goes into any car purchase. If 99% of your driving is just you and one other person, do you need a car with a back seat (you could call an uber for those times you need move 4 people)? Does anyone really need a vehicle that goes 0-60 in 4 seconds? Is buying a Lexus LS Hybrid ever going to pay off in money saved at the pump? At the end of the day people tend to buy vehicles because they just want them and they dovetail with a combination of their values, image, needs, style, vanity, etc.
Oh you are absolutely correct.

Myself personally, I for sure don't need a Maverick. I have a 2022 F250 lariat. Four doors, seats 5, fully loaded, super nice truck. It will tow everything I have and then some. I truly do not need a maverick. I always have had a full size truck, plus a car, plus whatever the wife is driving. I use the truck for work ( I tow a lawnservice trailer with it 5 days a week ) and like to use my car for my other driving needs or weekend driving if I don't need to tow anything heavy. Been making due with cars with hitches and bike racks and small trailers. I want a maverick for many of the same reasons as everyone else does. I do think I am maybe a little different from some maverick buyers in that my work, and play lifestyles, I will utilize the " truck " part of the maverick quite a bit, But I can totally understand why some might want one just cause....

Yeah don't get me wrong, if you want a maverick get a maverick! All I am saying is if your on the fence about it, or getting sick of waiting, there are good alternatives out there.... And my pitch of using a hitch and small trailer behind a car is just to show that there are ways to do truck stuff without a truck.

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When you say a corolla can't be towed behind a motorhome I will assume your talking about flat towing?

Can I ask why you would want to flat tow?

I mean I see no reason you couldn't put a Corolla on a tow dolly and tow that behind your motorhome. I would think a tow dolly is probably not much more expensive than all the equipment needed to set up a vehicle to be flat towed.

I have never understood why some people choose to flat tow instead of use a dolly, as in the advantages vs disadvantages.
Have you ever hooked up a tow dolly? It takes 20min and your hands get plenty dirty. You have to setup the tow dolly, drive car up, get out and strap it all down, check that it's secure. That's fine if you're going one way for a long distance once but would be a drag for touring the country with lots of stops.

Flat tow= you stop the motorhome, unhook a couple pins and connectors on front of Maverick and drive off. Yes it costs some money to setup the connectors, but the plate in front is not much more intense than putting an aftermarket tow hitch receiver on a vehicle.

I'm "only" 47yrs old now but as I'm getting older I appreciate not having to do extra work. The body hurts a lot more than it did even 10 years ago, and things I wouldn't have worried about as a 30yr old I am now careful to not strain or sprain things. I can only imagine once I finally retire and start motor-homing I'll be another 5-10yrs older and will be even less wanting to deal with unnecessary hassles.

Also, the Maverick eCVT transmission is just a gearset that WON'T wear out from being towed.

Sponsored

D.Pears

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Darrin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Ram 1500/Maverick ordered
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I needed 4x4 capability and cargo room for 2 adults 2 dogs and occasionally 3 kids. Plus the ability to haul propane, water jugs, and a laundry bin and still have room for groceries. Nothing else fit the bill under $30k than our XLTremor at $29460. It worth the wait to be able to afford a new car. Otherwise I probably would have bought another ZJ or maybe AWD minivan.
I agree with you. I have a Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 and in "my world" it is the greatest family vehicle. (No Maverick yet)
I can fit six people inside, I don't care about what weather I have to drive in. I have a canopy cover on the back to protect my Costco shopping, my dog, and my mother inlaw.
My only reason for buying the Maverick is the cost of gas is killing me.

OP
OP
GyroRon

GyroRon

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Have you ever hooked up a tow dolly? It takes 20min and your hands get plenty dirty. You have to setup the tow dolly, drive car up, get out and strap it all down, check that it's secure. That's fine if you're going one way for a long distance once but would be a drag for touring the country with lots of stops.

Flat tow= you stop the motorhome, unhook a couple pins and connectors on front of Maverick and drive off. Yes it costs some money to setup the connectors, but the plate in front is not much more intense than putting an aftermarket tow hitch receiver on a vehicle.

I'm "only" 47yrs old now but as I'm getting older I appreciate not having to do extra work. The body hurts a lot more than it did even 10 years ago, and things I wouldn't have worried about as a 30yr old I am now careful to not strain or sprain things. I can only imagine once I finally retire and start motor-homing I'll be another 5-10yrs older and will be even less wanting to deal with unnecessary hassles.

Also, the Maverick eCVT transmission is just a gearset that WON'T wear out from being towed.
Ive only messed with a car dolly once. Bought a car off www.carsandbids.com about a year and a half ago, it was up in Maryland and easiest and cheapest way for me to get it was to rent a uhaul dolly and drive up and get it and bring it home. Was super easy to do. Took all of about a minute to back up close to the dolly and pick it up on the tongue and set it on the ball on the back of my truck and secure it to the truck and plug in the wires. Once I got to the car I bought, it was about a 10 minute affair to drive the car up on the dolly, put the strap over the tires and cinch it down and off I went. I was surprised how easy it was. And for what its worth, the uhaul dollys are pretty beefy and likely heavier than one I would buy for personal use, but even so it was super easy to deal with. If I had one behind my camper seems like it would be pretty easy to deal with. I am 50 years old too btw...

Perhaps once I am in my 70's or 80's ( If I make it that far ) I might not want to mess with it, who knows.

CessPilot

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 F250 SuperDut
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I agree with you. I have a Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 and in "my world" it is the greatest family vehicle. (No Maverick yet)
I can fit six people inside, I don't care about what weather I have to drive in. I have a canopy cover on the back to protect my Costco shopping, my dog, and my mother inlaw.
My only reason for buying the Maverick is the cost of gas is killing me.
My daily driver is an F250 diesel and when diesel went over $5.50, I decided to look at a cheaper driver. I will keep the F250 to pull camp trailers and atv's for hunting and fishing. I live in a rural area and having a small pickup was a no brainer, so I planed to order a hybrid, but the salesman had one on order for 15 months before it came in and I opted for the Ecoboost with FX off-road and the tow package. At 79, this will be my last vehicle and plan to enjoy it. Scheduled to be here this month.

davnau

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Oh you are absolutely correct.

Myself personally, I for sure don't need a Maverick. I have a 2022 F250 lariat. Four doors, seats 5, fully loaded, super nice truck. It will tow everything I have and then some. I truly do not need a maverick. I always have had a full size truck, plus a car, plus whatever the wife is driving. I use the truck for work ( I tow a lawnservice trailer with it 5 days a week ) and like to use my car for my other driving needs or weekend driving if I don't need to tow anything heavy. Been making due with cars with hitches and bike racks and small trailers. I want a maverick for many of the same reasons as everyone else does. I do think I am maybe a little different from some maverick buyers in that my work, and play lifestyles, I will utilize the " truck " part of the maverick quite a bit, But I can totally understand why some might want one just cause....

Yeah don't get me wrong, if you want a maverick get a maverick! All I am saying is if your on the fence about it, or getting sick of waiting, there are good alternatives out there.... And my pitch of using a hitch and small trailer behind a car is just to show that there are ways to do truck stuff without a truck.
You forgot one thing. A 2022 or 2023 Toyota Corolla has a tow rating of ZERO, per Toyota. The only thing the hitch is good for is to plug in a bike rack or the like. I have three boats, with the heaviest at 1900 pounds, including boat, motor, trailer and gear. The Maverick Hybrid easily hauls any of the three boats, with a tow rating of 2000 pounds, braked OR unbraked trailer. There is no other vehicle, car or truck, with the MPG rating of the Maverick Hybrid, that can do that, period.

End of story.
I chimed in on a post here where someone started a thread about how they got tired of waiting on their Maverick order and went off and bought a new Toyota Corolla, then shared his experiences with how smoothly the process was to buy the corolla and the perks and merits of the car itself.

Reading through the comments, a lot of people made claims that the maverick is a truck and the corolla is a car and they can't be compared, that the car can't do everything the Maverick can do...

And while this is true, a small car CAN do most of what the maverick can do.

See, to me one of the biggest perks of the maverick over a car is having the truck bed and being able to haul bigger things than you would ever fit in a cars trunk.

But this is the food for thought thing that prompted me to make this post...

Do you realize you can buy a trailer hitch for almost any car out there? You can certainly get a hitch for a Toyota Corolla! And you can buy a small lightweight trailer fairly cheap. Check out these links

https://www.harborfreight.com/autom...x-96-in-super-duty-folding-trailer-62671.html

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/CURT/C34UR.html?feed=npn&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google | Shop - Trailer Hitch&adgroupid=98561398749&campaignid=918096360&creative=425409475846&device=c&devicemodel=&feeditemid=&keyword=&loc_interest_ms=&loc_physical_ms=9010670&matchtype=&network=g&placement=&position=&gclid=Cj0KCQiA5NSdBhDfARIsALzs2EBKEaIf9XILV5xAT3SyL5mjTiGdKbDydokxWE81t-6whj7Z-FVnK0caAoVSEALw_wcB

For about $900 you can buy a trailer hitch for a corolla.... takes all of about 15 minutes to bolt on.... And a 4x8 folding trailer, and some plywood and lumber to build sides, plus this covers taxes... And you have MORE space to put things or haul things behind your Corolla than you can in the bed of a Maverick. Trailer easily folds and has built in rollers and can be folded and slid into your garage and stored up against a wall, then pulled out and hitched up within a few minutes for that run you need to make to Home Depot to get some mulch or to Best buy to pick up a new dishwasher etc....

I have had a slew of cars over the years, everything from a honda accord, to multiple toyotas ( echo, corolla, several camrys ) and most recently a Ford Fusion, and all have had hitches installed on them. Ive towed smaller trailers behind my cars for years to tow my motorcycles or jet skis or pick up things from the store etc.... and never had a issue.

Now I will admit, one of the reasons I have a maverick on order is to be able to NOT have to tow as much. I like the idea of not having to slide a bike rack into the hitch behind a car and just being able to throw my mtn bike in the bed of the truck... I like the idea of being able to load my dirtbike into the bed and not have to tow the bike on a small trailer behind my car.... But Ive used a car with a hitch for the last 15 plus years and not really had any issues.

Like I said in the other post, I think there are a lot of people who have been attracted to the maverick that really don't need a truck and will rarely ever use it as a truck. I think many people just wanted a semi cheap affordable 5 person vehicle that gets decent gas milage, and saw the maverick and thought wow this would be cool. I think that many of the canceled orders show that people really didn't need a truck, and I predict that over the next year or two you will see plenty of people trade out of their mavericks once the new wears off and they realize that for the same money they could have got a better car ( I will argue that a Corolla IS a better vehicle than a Maverick for sure )

I am not trying to make a sales pitch that anyone should cancel their order today and run to toyota to order a corolla and pick up a hitch and trailer..... But I am making a point that doing that would likely serve many people well that want a new affordable vehicle and still give them the option to " haul " larger or bulky items.

What is your thoughts?
You forgot one thing. A 2022 or 2023 Toyota Corolla has a tow rating of ZERO, per Toyota. The only thing the hitch is good for is to plug in a bike rack or the like. I have three boats, with the heaviest at 1900 pounds, including boat, motor, trailer and gear. The Maverick Hybrid easily hauls any of the three boats, with a tow rating of 2000 pounds, braked OR unbraked trailer. (All my boats have an unbraked trailer.)

There is no other vehicle, car or truck, with the MPG rating of the Maverick Hybrid, that can do that, period.

End of story.

Last edited:

DaveMave

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Toyota p/u, Santa Cruz SEL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I agree with your overall premise but disagree with two of your comments:

1) Sure the Maverick right now is super popular, but is it really? It might just seem popular to us because there are so many on the forums and pages that want one but can't get one.... But in the grand scheme of automobiles I bet the maverick is small potatoes in comparison to other vehicles in its size and price class.

They shut down ordering for the Maverick after a day for hybrids, a couple of days for the EcoBoost, and a couple of weeks for the Lariats (or something like that). How many orders would they have gotten if they were still open? A crap ton? (I believe that's an official measurement :) )

2) And most likely, once production catches up to today's demand and you see new mavericks readily available, and deals and discounts on new ones... used values will plummet... And 5-8 years from now, this guy with the corolla will have a vehicle worth more money in resale value

Trucks tend to hold their value, so the Maverick resell value will be good as long as it doesn't turn out to be a true lemon. The automobile market will calm down eventually, and the people who paid over MSRP for both Mavericks AND Corollas will lose money. But I suspect anyone who paid MSRP for a Maverick or a Corolla will get minimal depreciation.
Sponsored