Sponsored

Food for thought ( if you might be tired of waiting on a maverick )

GyroRon

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-250 Lariat, 2019 Mazda CX9, tons of bikes
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I chimed in on a post here where someone started a thread about how they got tired of waiting on their Maverick order and went off and bought a new Toyota Corolla, then shared his experiences with how smoothly the process was to buy the corolla and the perks and merits of the car itself.

Reading through the comments, a lot of people made claims that the maverick is a truck and the corolla is a car and they can't be compared, that the car can't do everything the Maverick can do...

And while this is true, a small car CAN do most of what the maverick can do.

See, to me one of the biggest perks of the maverick over a car is having the truck bed and being able to haul bigger things than you would ever fit in a cars trunk.

But this is the food for thought thing that prompted me to make this post...

Do you realize you can buy a trailer hitch for almost any car out there? You can certainly get a hitch for a Toyota Corolla! And you can buy a small lightweight trailer fairly cheap. Check out these links

https://www.harborfreight.com/autom...x-96-in-super-duty-folding-trailer-62671.html

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hi...jTiGdKbDydokxWE81t-6whj7Z-FVnK0caAoVSEALw_wcB

For about $900 you can buy a trailer hitch for a corolla.... takes all of about 15 minutes to bolt on.... And a 4x8 folding trailer, and some plywood and lumber to build sides, plus this covers taxes... And you have MORE space to put things or haul things behind your Corolla than you can in the bed of a Maverick. Trailer easily folds and has built in rollers and can be folded and slid into your garage and stored up against a wall, then pulled out and hitched up within a few minutes for that run you need to make to Home Depot to get some mulch or to Best buy to pick up a new dishwasher etc....

I have had a slew of cars over the years, everything from a honda accord, to multiple toyotas ( echo, corolla, several camrys ) and most recently a Ford Fusion, and all have had hitches installed on them. Ive towed smaller trailers behind my cars for years to tow my motorcycles or jet skis or pick up things from the store etc.... and never had a issue.

Now I will admit, one of the reasons I have a maverick on order is to be able to NOT have to tow as much. I like the idea of not having to slide a bike rack into the hitch behind a car and just being able to throw my mtn bike in the bed of the truck... I like the idea of being able to load my dirtbike into the bed and not have to tow the bike on a small trailer behind my car.... But Ive used a car with a hitch for the last 15 plus years and not really had any issues.

Like I said in the other post, I think there are a lot of people who have been attracted to the maverick that really don't need a truck and will rarely ever use it as a truck. I think many people just wanted a semi cheap affordable 5 person vehicle that gets decent gas milage, and saw the maverick and thought wow this would be cool. I think that many of the canceled orders show that people really didn't need a truck, and I predict that over the next year or two you will see plenty of people trade out of their mavericks once the new wears off and they realize that for the same money they could have got a better car ( I will argue that a Corolla IS a better vehicle than a Maverick for sure )

I am not trying to make a sales pitch that anyone should cancel their order today and run to toyota to order a corolla and pick up a hitch and trailer..... But I am making a point that doing that would likely serve many people well that want a new affordable vehicle and still give them the option to " haul " larger or bulky items.

What is your thoughts?
Sponsored

Fitzovich

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have to agree with you. I wanted the Maverick for the mileage, flexibility and frankly it was time for me to buy something new. This is my retirement vehicle and it fills all the boxes on my checklist for a vehicle. As I don't drive that much, I expect it will last me a long time as my previous cars have done.

Jatrax

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 VW ID.4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maverick:
- great mileage
- can be towed behind our motorhome
- can haul a sheet of plywood
- open bed for hauling trash / mulch / brush / whatever

Corolla:
- great mileage
- cannot be towed
- cannot haul a sheet of plywood
- no open bed

I'll give you the Corolla is probably a better built vehicle. And with a cheap Harbor Freight trailer can haul stuff as well. But I think I'll stick to the Maverick. If you compared it to a smaller SUV that would be harder for me to decide though. An Escape or Rav4 with a cheap trailer would be tougher competition than a Corolla (for me) but I think the price is higher too.

The hybrid Escape can be flat towed behind a motorhome as well so for me that would be the alternative choice.

OP
OP
GyroRon

GyroRon

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is what I said in the other thread, for context of what prompted me to start this thread.

The reality is, and I have said it before..... MANY of the people who ordered a Maverick do NOT need or even really want a pick up truck. MANY people ordered the maverick simply because it is a small affordable vehicle. The fact that it has a truck bed instead of a cars trunk or a SUV hatch IS a bonus and something I am sure some people thought could be useful or nice to have.... But for many people, they just want a new vehicle that is affordable and will seat 5 people and isn't huge in size and gets decent gas milage.

So it should be no surprise that some people are going to get tired of waiting on Ford to come through for them.

There ARE other options out there that WILL serve many folks that don't absolutely have to have a truck.

And I am willing to bet, that there will be many people that finally get their mavericks and after driving them a while, be it a few months or a year or two, that decide that they would rather have a car or small SUV more than the truck.

Cause let's face it. The maverick ( EcoBoost ) really doesn't get that great of MPG, and it is a very cheaply made vehicle, and as evidenced on the forums and FB pages... already has plenty of reliability issues.

In Many Many MANY ways.... A new Corolla is a far superior vehicle than a maverick. You are FAR FAR FAR less likely to have any problems whatsoever out of a corolla, you are going to get near Hybrid fuel economy numbers, your going to get more tech features, and have extremely good long term resale value out of a corolla.

Sure the Maverick right now is super popular, but is it really? It might just seem popular to us because there are so many on the forums and pages that want one but can't get one.... But in the grand scheme of automobiles I bet the maverick is small potatoes in comparison to other vehicles in its size and price class.

But whatever.... I just think its stupid to give the OP a hard time over his post. In all reality he probably made the best decision he could have made. And most likely, once production catches up to today's demand and you see new mavericks readily available, and deals and discounts on new ones... used values will plummet... And 5-8 years from now, this guy with the corolla will have a vehicle worth more money in resale value and likely never needed a thing other than oil changes and a set of tires, where as the maverick people will have who knows how many horror stories of breakdowns and repairs and massive depreciation ( especially those who were impatient and paid way over MSRP )

Michaelkov

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW X1, 2018 Toyota Rav4, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Sponsored

ClemsonU88

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick; 2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's a good idea. With a bed as small as the Maverick's, there's a chance you'll need a trailer sometime anyway. I could haul a washer & dryer, but if I bought a fridge at the same time, I'm either hooking up a trailer or making two trips. However, the truck is definitely convenient, because the "hauling" ability is always available. If you decide to pick up mulch on the way home, you don't have to go home & get the trailer first.

But there's just something about a truck that men (and some women) love isn't there? I love my Maverick!

Connect

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I chimed in on a post here where someone started a thread about how they got tired of waiting on their Maverick order and went off and bought a new Toyota Corolla, then shared his experiences with how smoothly the process was to buy the corolla and the perks and merits of the car itself.

Reading through the comments, a lot of people made claims that the maverick is a truck and the corolla is a car and they can't be compared, that the car can't do everything the Maverick can do...

And while this is true, a small car CAN do most of what the maverick can do.

See, to me one of the biggest perks of the maverick over a car is having the truck bed and being able to haul bigger things than you would ever fit in a cars trunk.

But this is the food for thought thing that prompted me to make this post...

Do you realize you can buy a trailer hitch for almost any car out there? You can certainly get a hitch for a Toyota Corolla! And you can buy a small lightweight trailer fairly cheap. Check out these links

https://www.harborfreight.com/autom...x-96-in-super-duty-folding-trailer-62671.html

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/CURT/C34UR.html?feed=npn&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google | Shop - Trailer Hitch&adgroupid=98561398749&campaignid=918096360&creative=425409475846&device=c&devicemodel=&feeditemid=&keyword=&loc_interest_ms=&loc_physical_ms=9010670&matchtype=&network=g&placement=&position=&gclid=Cj0KCQiA5NSdBhDfARIsALzs2EBKEaIf9XILV5xAT3SyL5mjTiGdKbDydokxWE81t-6whj7Z-FVnK0caAoVSEALw_wcB

For about $900 you can buy a trailer hitch for a corolla.... takes all of about 15 minutes to bolt on.... And a 4x8 folding trailer, and some plywood and lumber to build sides, plus this covers taxes... And you have MORE space to put things or haul things behind your Corolla than you can in the bed of a Maverick. Trailer easily folds and has built in rollers and can be folded and slid into your garage and stored up against a wall, then pulled out and hitched up within a few minutes for that run you need to make to Home Depot to get some mulch or to Best buy to pick up a new dishwasher etc....

I have had a slew of cars over the years, everything from a honda accord, to multiple toyotas ( echo, corolla, several camrys ) and most recently a Ford Fusion, and all have had hitches installed on them. Ive towed smaller trailers behind my cars for years to tow my motorcycles or jet skis or pick up things from the store etc.... and never had a issue.

Now I will admit, one of the reasons I have a maverick on order is to be able to NOT have to tow as much. I like the idea of not having to slide a bike rack into the hitch behind a car and just being able to throw my mtn bike in the bed of the truck... I like the idea of being able to load my dirtbike into the bed and not have to tow the bike on a small trailer behind my car.... But Ive used a car with a hitch for the last 15 plus years and not really had any issues.

Like I said in the other post, I think there are a lot of people who have been attracted to the maverick that really don't need a truck and will rarely ever use it as a truck. I think many people just wanted a semi cheap affordable 5 person vehicle that gets decent gas milage, and saw the maverick and thought wow this would be cool. I think that many of the canceled orders show that people really didn't need a truck, and I predict that over the next year or two you will see plenty of people trade out of their mavericks once the new wears off and they realize that for the same money they could have got a better car ( I will argue that a Corolla IS a better vehicle than a Maverick for sure )

I am not trying to make a sales pitch that anyone should cancel their order today and run to toyota to order a corolla and pick up a hitch and trailer..... But I am making a point that doing that would likely serve many people well that want a new affordable vehicle and still give them the option to " haul " larger or bulky items.

What is your thoughts?
Interesting fact..... people cross shop different types of vehicles. If you were to research it, most trucks are not used as trucks often.

OP
OP
GyroRon

GyroRon

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maverick:
- great mileage
- can be towed behind our motorhome
- can haul a sheet of plywood
- open bed for hauling trash / mulch / brush / whatever

Corolla:
- great mileage
- cannot be towed
- cannot haul a sheet of plywood
- no open bed

I'll give you the Corolla is probably a better built vehicle. And with a cheap Harbor Freight trailer can haul stuff as well. But I think I'll stick to the Maverick. If you compared it to a smaller SUV that would be harder for me to decide though. An Escape or Rav4 with a cheap trailer would be tougher competition than a Corolla (for me) but I think the price is higher too.

The hybrid Escape can be flat towed behind a motorhome as well so for me that would be the alternative choice.

When you say a corolla can't be towed behind a motorhome I will assume your talking about flat towing?

Can I ask why you would want to flat tow?

I mean I see no reason you couldn't put a Corolla on a tow dolly and tow that behind your motorhome. I would think a tow dolly is probably not much more expensive than all the equipment needed to set up a vehicle to be flat towed.

I have never understood why some people choose to flat tow instead of use a dolly, as in the advantages vs disadvantages.

And I am not totally clear on how some vehicle can be flat towed and some can't. As I understand it, you put the transmission in neutral and off you go..... I think if I understand it correctly, some transmissions can " wear out " by towing in neutral because without the engine running it isn't circulating fluids where as others will?

And another thing.... you mention the ability to " Haul plywood ". In reality, how often do you do that? You realize, for like $20 you can rent a truck at Lowes or home depot for a hour to haul big things like sheets of plywood home. And also, although would seem kinda crazy, you could purchase a roof rack for any car, and throw a few sheets up on the rack and strap them down and get your plywood home on the roof of your car..... Take a look!

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I needed 4x4 capability and cargo room for 2 adults 2 dogs and occasionally 3 kids. Plus the ability to haul propane, water jugs, and a laundry bin and still have room for groceries. Nothing else fit the bill under $30k than our XLTremor at $29460. It worth the wait to be able to afford a new car. Otherwise I probably would have bought another ZJ or maybe AWD minivan.

Sponsored

MaveLick

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAM REBEL (Soon to be Maverick)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In my opinion, a Maverick is a car with a truck bed with the price of Corolla. I see no reason to even look at a Corolla. Maverick hybrid has very low power output but it has way more power than a Corolla.

ClemsonU88

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick; 2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is what I said in the other thread, for context of what prompted me to start this thread.

The reality is, and I have said it before..... MANY of the people who ordered a Maverick do NOT need or even really want a pick up truck. MANY people ordered the maverick simply because it is a small affordable vehicle. The fact that it has a truck bed instead of a cars trunk or a SUV hatch IS a bonus and something I am sure some people thought could be useful or nice to have.... But for many people, they just want a new vehicle that is affordable and will seat 5 people and isn't huge in size and gets decent gas milage.

So it should be no surprise that some people are going to get tired of waiting on Ford to come through for them.

There ARE other options out there that WILL serve many folks that don't absolutely have to have a truck.

And I am willing to bet, that there will be many people that finally get their mavericks and after driving them a while, be it a few months or a year or two, that decide that they would rather have a car or small SUV more than the truck.

Cause let's face it. The maverick ( EcoBoost ) really doesn't get that great of MPG, and it is a very cheaply made vehicle, and as evidenced on the forums and FB pages... already has plenty of reliability issues.

In Many Many MANY ways.... A new Corolla is a far superior vehicle than a maverick. You are FAR FAR FAR less likely to have any problems whatsoever out of a corolla, you are going to get near Hybrid fuel economy numbers, your going to get more tech features, and have extremely good long term resale value out of a corolla.

Sure the Maverick right now is super popular, but is it really? It might just seem popular to us because there are so many on the forums and pages that want one but can't get one.... But in the grand scheme of automobiles I bet the maverick is small potatoes in comparison to other vehicles in its size and price class.

But whatever.... I just think its stupid to give the OP a hard time over his post. In all reality he probably made the best decision he could have made. And most likely, once production catches up to today's demand and you see new mavericks readily available, and deals and discounts on new ones... used values will plummet... And 5-8 years from now, this guy with the corolla will have a vehicle worth more money in resale value and likely never needed a thing other than oil changes and a set of tires, where as the maverick people will have who knows how many horror stories of breakdowns and repairs and massive depreciation ( especially those who were impatient and paid way over MSRP )
I agree with your overall premise but disagree with two of your comments:

1) Sure the Maverick right now is super popular, but is it really? It might just seem popular to us because there are so many on the forums and pages that want one but can't get one.... But in the grand scheme of automobiles I bet the maverick is small potatoes in comparison to other vehicles in its size and price class.

They shut down ordering for the Maverick after a day for hybrids, a couple of days for the EcoBoost, and a couple of weeks for the Lariats (or something like that). How many orders would they have gotten if they were still open? A crap ton? (I believe that's an official measurement :) )

2) And most likely, once production catches up to today's demand and you see new mavericks readily available, and deals and discounts on new ones... used values will plummet... And 5-8 years from now, this guy with the corolla will have a vehicle worth more money in resale value

Trucks tend to hold their value, so the Maverick resell value will be good as long as it doesn't turn out to be a true lemon. The automobile market will calm down eventually, and the people who paid over MSRP for both Mavericks AND Corollas will lose money. But I suspect anyone who paid MSRP for a Maverick or a Corolla will get minimal depreciation.

Automate

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Hybrid, Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm guessing even the 2 ft. x 5 ft. 3 in. folded size of the trailer would be a problem for many people. Would take up too much space in the garage and possibly prevent a car from parking in the same door.

And many homeowner associations don't allow trailers to be parked in the driveway/yard.

Last edited:

IwannaMav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 XL Ecoboost Fwd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You can haul plenty with a 4 door sedan you just have the know what your doing.

Ford Maverick Food for thought ( if you might be tired of waiting on a maverick ) IMG_20200423_190055

Ford Maverick Food for thought ( if you might be tired of waiting on a maverick ) IMG_20200423_190113

Jatrax

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 VW ID.4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When you say a corolla can't be towed behind a motorhome I will assume your talking about flat towing?

Can I ask why you would want to flat tow?

I mean I see no reason you couldn't put a Corolla on a tow dolly and tow that behind your motorhome. I would think a tow dolly is probably not much more expensive than all the equipment needed to set up a vehicle to be flat towed.

I have never understood why some people choose to flat tow instead of use a dolly, as in the advantages vs disadvantages.

And I am not totally clear on how some vehicle can be flat towed and some can't. As I understand it, you put the transmission in neutral and off you go..... I think if I understand it correctly, some transmissions can " wear out " by towing in neutral because without the engine running it isn't circulating fluids where as others will?

And another thing.... you mention the ability to " Haul plywood ". In reality, how often do you do that? You realize, for like $20 you can rent a truck at Lowes or home depot for a hour to haul big things like sheets of plywood home. And also, although would seem kinda crazy, you could purchase a roof rack for any car, and throw a few sheets up on the rack and strap them down and get your plywood home on the roof of your car..... Take a look!
- yes, correct flat towing. If you are snowbirds and make one trip south / north each year a tow dolly is completely fine. But if you camp at county / state /national parks they are a real pain. You have to locate a good flat spot to unload and then deal with the dolly after you unload. It can be done and many do, but if you can flat tow it is a LOT easier.

- the manufacturer lists whether they allow flat towing on each vehicle, usually in the owner's manual. Ford also publishes a document each year that lists towing requirements both for towing and being towed. I believe it is mostly related to the transmission.
True 4x4 vehicles with a center neutral are best because that disconnects the transmission from the wheels completely. That's why Jeeps are still used a lot. Some vehicles can be towed but the transmission gears still turn, in that case it comes down to whether the tranny is getting enough lubrication. Just putting it in neutral doesn't stop the gears from turning and if they are not getting lube they will fail pretty quick.
The hybrid Escape and Hybrid Maverick are allowed to be flat towed by Ford with minimal setup.

- I run a wood shop as my side job and haul plywood regularly, couple times a month. I have a trailer and pull that behind my Cherokee now, but it's a pain to hook up and park at Depot and then unhook. Absolutely doable, been doing it for years. But just putting it in the truck bed is going to be a lot less work. I did put a few sheets on a roof rack once. Wind got under the top sheet and folded back in half snapping it in two and send it back into traffic. It was only 1/4" stuff and no one got hurt but I'll never do that again.

Please note this is MY situation, I'm not debating your suggestion that if all you need is a daily driver then a Corolla (or similar) is just fine and with some allowances can do most everything a Maverick can do. But I will say I think the Maverick will do those things easier. But that's just me.
Sponsored