Folding rear seatBACK?

BamaBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Focus RS
Lots of ballyhoo over the rear seat under-seat storage bins, which I think will be very useful. But I have been trying to figure out if the seatback folds down, and if so, how close to flat does it fold? I found the following blurb in the Maverick Order Guide that seems to confirm that the seatback does fold.

Seat, Rear​
— Full Bench Rear Cloth Folding Seatback
— Flip-Up Seat Cushion​

Has anyone seen any other mention of this or pictures of back seat folded down?
We have a puppy who loves to ride in the car, so whether in my Focus RS or my Wife's Edge, we fold the back seats down to give the puppy a flat place to ride without her damaging the seats or having to get a seat cover. We put one of her beds down and a water bowl and tether her to the latch hook on the back of the seat. Just hoping that we'll be able to do the same thing if we get a Maverick.

Also, with the under-seat storage, I saw one mention (I thought in an official release) that it could be used as a cooler. Has anyone seen pictures that would confirm this? Would there be a drain hole? Seems like that would be required to use it as a cooler.
And another question about the under-seat storage, what is the thing under the passenger rear seat in this picture? Looks like a bin-within-a-bin with a latching top. Any idea what it is for or what trim levels it is included/available on? The other photos of the under-seat storage show two sections separated by a shallow hump, but don't show this other bin. After zooming in on the pic, it looks like it has a warning symbol and maybe a battery symbol, is this where the hybrid battery is? Doesn't seem big enough, but I don't really know how big the hybrid battery would be. Maybe just access to the battery(ies) under the floor?

Thanks,
Bob
Sponsored

hsinking1932

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OP
OP

BamaBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Focus RS
1. I don't think the back of the seats would be 100 percent flat. This video might be helpful for you👇

The 2 row seats part starts from 15:50.

2. IDK

3. It is the 12v battery. There is an article about his topic 👇
https://jalopnik.com/the-2022-ford-maverick-hybrid-pickup-truck-and-an-old-v-1847073627/amp
Thanks for the info!
1. Unfortunately, that folding seatback looks virtually useless. Not only is it not flat, but it looks to be covered in thin, easy to rip fabric. I couldn't see putting my dog back there, or anything else for that matter. Maybe it is just a way to store stuff behind the seat and wasn't meant to fold flat enough to put anything on top of it? I know behind the seat of old regular cab trucks was a good place for jumper cables or a jack or a few tools. I would say the reviewer didn't know the trick to folding the seats correctly, as people often do with the Focus, but there is no way the seat bottom can fold up and back to access the storage and also flip up and forward like in the Focus.

3. So since there are pictures without that box in the storage bin, I assume the 12v battery is only located there on the hybrid, correct? The gas versions would have the battery under the hood then, right?

Thanks again.

rutroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dodge durango
yes battery under passenger side back seat in the hybrid its back in engine compartment for the regular engine

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for the info!
1. Unfortunately, that folding seatback looks virtually useless. Not only is it not flat, but it looks to be covered in thin, easy to rip fabric. I couldn't see putting my dog back there, or anything else for that matter. Maybe it is just a way to store stuff behind the seat and wasn't meant to fold flat enough to put anything on top of it? I know behind the seat of old regular cab trucks was a good place for jumper cables or a jack or a few tools. I would say the reviewer didn't know the trick to folding the seats correctly, as people often do with the Focus, but there is no way the seat bottom can fold up and back to access the storage and also flip up and forward like in the Focus.

3. So since there are pictures without that box in the storage bin, I assume the 12v battery is only located there on the hybrid, correct? The gas versions would have the battery under the hood then, right?

Thanks again.
We have been using this sling style seat protector from Duluth Trading for years. It’s tough, easy to take in and out and it protects the backs of the front seats too. Water bowl isn’t going to work too well however. I’m sure there are other similar items out there, but this one is built like a tank.

Ford Maverick Folding rear seatBACK? 45E33AD3-8B98-47C9-87E3-257EFC377E04

Sponsored

Shecster

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1930 Model A Ford - 1971 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for the info!

Thanks again.
I agree. I also think that they should have gone to a 60/40 split back seat as it is very useful when you are carrying items on one side of the rear area and still have room for a passenger and or a good ole pup. The 60/40 seat holds true for both upper and lower parts. Of note, even the little old Nissan Frontier has this as a standard item.

Once you have had this seat it’s hard to go back.......

BigB

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hmmm..after seeing that video I’m wondering if there’s room for a “truck style” sub box like you might put in a regular cab behind the seat. I like a little extra bass than most factory systems and that would leave the under seat storage for other stuff.
Sponsored