Sponsored

Flex Sealing the under engine ‘cloth’ cover and wheel-wells?

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was just thinking about a way to add some protection to the under side and wheel-well material to keep it looking better longer.

Black Flex Seal was the first thing that came to mind.

What say you?
Sponsored

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was just thinking about a way to add some protection to the under side and wheel-well material to keep it looking better longer.

What say you?
I was thinking about this subject too. After watching Mr. Booms's video on front grill removal which exposed the fabric in the wheelwell, which to me would probably fall apart rather quickly. So I'm interested in hearing other's people opinions.

Shay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That material is actually very resilient and Ford has thought about this ahead of time. They didn't just put cloth there on a whim, it's fortified with a lot of fibers and polyesters that make it such that it's not just going to rot away.

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That material is actually very resilient and Ford has thought about this ahead of time. They didn't just put cloth there on a whim, it's fortified with a lot of fibers and polyesters that make it such that it's not just going to rot away.
That's good to know because I was thinking that they would need to replaced after a year or so. My main concern was trapping and holding onto water, which in the desert is not a very big concern but still one I thought about.

Last edited:

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That's good to know because I was thinking that they would need to replaced after a year or so. My main concern was trapping and holding onto water, which in the desert is a very big concern but still one I thought about.
My ‘17 focus had this cloth in the rear wheel wells. After 50k miles, it looked fine. Pressure washing it will stress it so don’t use high pressure on it to rinse out the dirt.

Sponsored

Shay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Most of these fender well liners are typically made with recycled plastics like water bottles and batteries, and have asphalt infused into them. They're mostly for sound deadening. The aero shields under most of the bottom of the truck are made the same thing

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My ‘17 focus had this cloth in the rear wheel wells. After 50k miles, it looked fine. Pressure washing it will stress it so don’t use high pressure on it to rinse out the dirt.
Oh thanks for that info about the pressure washing! I would've blasted them trying to clean them.

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My main concern was trapping and holding onto water, which in the desert is a very big concern but still one I thought about.
I also live in Tucson, where something that traps and holds water is a feature, not a bug.:sneaky:

Davis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
Ford Maverick Flex Sealing the under engine ‘cloth’ cover and wheel-wells? 2A09A89F-454C-49EF-9F9E-0C85AA8D2364

You can see theres a gap on both sides of the mounting clips that might be a issue trapping road salt and what not behind the liner. I’ve seen people bed line the inside of the wheel wells which might be a option for those worried about the cloth liner.

OP
OP
The Weatherman

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Most of these fender well liners are typically made with recycled plastics like water bottles and batteries, and have asphalt infused into them. They're mostly for sound deadening. The aero shields under most of the bottom of the truck are made the same thing
Thanks for the information.

Sponsored

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
2A09A89F-454C-49EF-9F9E-0C85AA8D2364.jpeg

You can see theres a gap on both sides of the mounting clips that might be a issue trapping road salt and what not behind the liner. I’ve seen people bed line the inside of the wheel wells which might be a option for those worried about the cloth liner.
I think I’ll pull those before I spray mine w the CRC stuff.

Stetson

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ford Raptor, 2018 Fiesta ST
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have the same fabric-plastic wheel liners on my Fiesta ST. I live in Salt Lake City and it’s seen a few snowy winters with no issue. It’s a weird product, but it seems to hold up as good as the regular plastic ones.

Stetson

jtpc2021

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

What say you?
My Mazda crossover had this type of lining. It held up well. I wouldn’t worry about attempting anything.

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have the same fabric-plastic wheel liners on my Fiesta ST. I live in Salt Lake City and it’s seen a few snowy winters with no issue. It’s a weird product, but it seems to hold up as good as the regular plastic ones.

Stetson
I like hearing that! When I first saw the stuff I was really surprised because I thought it was a straight up fabric, but another forum member posted that it's a composite material so I'm glad to hear that and your conformation of it's durability has ensured that I won't be looking for a replacement anytime soon.

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Buy a piece of dynamat for under the hood instead.
Sponsored