GApeach

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sedan
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would want to flat tow the Maverick behind my RV. Are there factory “installed” connection places for the tow bars? For example, threaded holes in the front frame behind punch out spots in the bumper? Or would we have to have the connection locations drilled out by a third party tow bar installer?

I don’t know the technical terms so I hope someone understands what I’m asking.
Sponsored

dceggert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion, 2019 Ranger, 2024 Maverick ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would want to flat tow the Maverick behind my RV. Are there factory “installed” connection places for the tow bars? For example, threaded holes in the front frame behind punch out spots in the bumper? Or would we have to have the connection locations drilled out by a third party tow bar installer?

You will need what is called a 'baseplate' that is a bracket that mounts to the truck chassis and connects to the towbar. Each towbar manufacturer designs their own.

I am going to be watching this also. I went through this on the 2019 Ranger I bought and it took about 8 months before baseplates started becoming available. Minimal drilling is usually involved and since the FX4 package includes tow hooks there should be holes to be used.

Keep in mind, however, only the Hybrid will be flat towable.

OP
OP
GApeach

GApeach

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sedan
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You will need what is called a 'baseplate' that is a bracket that mounts to the truck chassis and connects to the towbar. Each towbar manufacturer designs their own.

I am going to be watching this also. I went through this on the 2019 Ranger I bought and it took about 8 months before baseplates started becoming available. Minimal drilling is usually involved and since the FX4 package includes tow hooks there should be holes to be used.

Keep in mind, however, only the Hybrid will be flat towable.
Thank you. I will be getting the hybrid so should be good to go with the actual flat tow part.

abjbrtd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Kona, Thor Citation
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We'll be towing our Maverick as soon as baseplates are available.
Here's a good site to check/get baseplates, towbars etc.
https://www.etrailer.com/

It would help if we could get several people to contact etrailer, Blue Ox, Roadmaster and Demco about when baseplates will be ready.

KathyG

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kathy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Roadmaster already has an offer to provide a free baseplate and install to the 1st Maverick Hybrid owner who can bring one in and leave it for a few days for them to template a baseplate. They anticipate having commercial version ready a few months after template is completed.

Sponsored

JsnMrd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does flat towing increase your mileage?

OP
OP
GApeach

GApeach

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sedan
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Roadmaster already has an offer to provide a free baseplate and install to the 1st Maverick Hybrid owner who can bring one in and leave it for a few days for them to template a baseplate. They anticipate having commercial version ready a few months after template is completed.
I haven’t been schedule for a build yet so I’m hoping someone takes them up on their offer.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Someone had posted a picture of front underneath, I believe was from manua, that showed two holes, presumably threaded, that I believe may have been intended for tie down hooks. The Mavericks that come with tow hooks installed have (ok I cannot resist) holes to support rear of tow hooks welded on (giggle, actually a piece with a hole in it welded on) which is not there on mavericks shipped without tow hooks. From what I have seen it appears that while the drive train is flat towable friendly the attachment plate to be able to tow is probably a third party installed item a wise decision. Will know more when I see actual maverick.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

FYI. I saw this near the end of the 2022 suspension deep dive (39mpg at up to 70)
Meanwhile, that big hunk of metal (red) has no suspension function whatsoever. It’s a towing tie-down point.

Sponsored

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion, E450 Leprechaun
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think your MPG would be worse pulling a toad.
The post you quoted meant the mileage/odometer reading.
Using a dolly tow setup is worse, you tow the weight of the car PLUS the weight of the tow dolly. The point is having a vehicle to drive when you get to your destination rather than breaking camp to go site seeing or to get a gallon of milk.

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion, E450 Leprechaun
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You need an third party baseplate installed, Roadmaster, Blue Ox ot Demco. My hybrid Maverick is one of two scheduled to be the prototype for Roadmaster with the baseplate being commercially available around April 4, 2022.

Chicago Mike

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shadow Black Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We'll be towing our Maverick as soon as baseplates are available.
Here's a good site to check/get baseplates, towbars etc.
https://www.etrailer.com/

It would help if we could get several people to contact etrailer, Blue Ox, Roadmaster and Demco about when baseplates will be ready.
I contacted all three tonight As I also want to flat tow my new toad.

Vongreg

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Camry, chevy 2500 HD, Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You need an third party baseplate installed, Roadmaster, Blue Ox ot Demco. My hybrid Maverick is one of two scheduled to be the prototype for Roadmaster with the baseplate being commercially available around April 4, 2022.
Thank you for being the Guinea Pig, I imagine you will have your truck into Roadmaster this month for them to achieve that production date.