FITS and FLEXBED Gimmicks or will they spread?

Takk

XLT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, HP Red
Trim
XLT
Hey, just a random question. Will FITS and FLEXBED show up on other Ford products like Ranger, F-150, Transit, Escape etc?

FITS and to some extent even FLEXBED seem like marketing-only gimmicks geared towards who Ford thought would be buying these trucks (the 30-somethings in So-Cal who go to the beach often). I've seen some interesting things discussed for these features, mostly that odd dash cubby, but even the Ford options seem fairly bland and lacking in imagination.

clavicus

Lariat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid, 2003 Honda Accord
Trim
Lariat
FITS is gimmicky. I’m sure a couple people use it but meh from me.

FLEXbed is useful, and no reason not to add features to the bed that don’t get in the way of regular usage.

commadorebob

Lariat
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape SEL; 2023 Maverick Lariat (pending)
Trim
Lariat
Hey, just a random question. Will FITS and FLEXBED show up on other Ford products like Ranger, F-150, Transit, Escape etc?

FITS and to some extent even FLEXBED seem like marketing-only gimmicks geared towards who Ford thought would be buying these trucks (the 30-somethings in So-Cal who go to the beach often). I've seen some interesting things discussed for these features, mostly that odd dash cubby, but even the Ford options seem fairly bland and lacking in imagination.
My theory. This is an extension of how they positioned the Bronco. They aren't really going after the "SoCal" market, they are going after the Jeep market. The Gladiator is a threat to the F-150 as all trucks are. But Ford can't compete in the area of modification that Jeep provides. Fits and Flexbed are just their attempt to show they are adaptable. But Ford can only do so much with their current design language.

It will be up to the aftermarket to determine whether these are successful or just a gimmick.

OP
OP
Takk

Takk

XLT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Trim
XLT
I'll probably do what everyone else has and buy a few 2x6 boards for that vertical slot near the tailgate to just have a non-sliding section.

The only other idea that I can come up with that I'd want is to build a removable false floor and rig it so I can mount one of my lightweight backpacking tents in the bed in case I ever need to sleep in the trailhead parking lot.

Different strokes for different folks and all, but the overlanding camping style sounds identical to glamping. :ROFLMAO: But I suppose those guys can afford to have an electric kettle for their coffee along for the trip...maybe I should look into that.

OP
OP
Takk

Takk

XLT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Trim
XLT
My theory. This is an extension of how they positioned the Bronco. They aren't really going after the "SoCal" market, they are going after the Jeep market. The Gladiator is a threat to the F-150 as all trucks are. But Ford can't compete in the area of modification that Jeep provides. Fits and Flexbed are just their attempt to show they are adaptable. But Ford can only do so much with their current design language.

It will be up to the aftermarket to determine whether these are successful or just a gimmick.
That's a really good alternative way to look at it.

icegradner

XLT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Trim
XLT
FITS is gimmicky. I’m sure a couple people use it but meh from me.

FLEXbed is useful, and no reason not to add features to the bed that don’t get in the way of regular usage.
I don't have the FITS kit, and doubt I'd buy it, but I could see it being useful in an XL, since it doesn't have the rear seat cup holders. The dividers for the under seat storage seems to be not very useful, given how small the space is. The small trash can to fit on the back of the middle armrest would be nice, there are tons of aftermarket versions already (the kind the hang on the back of the front seats), so they must sell. Would I want to pay for the entire kit of FITS stuff? No. One or two of them, maybe, kind of wish they were stand alone.

FLEXbed useful, depending on the application, the beds kind of small to do that with my usage. Flex tailgate, very useful for long items.