2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
beater truck
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Someone Lowered a 2022 Ford Maverick Already and It Looks Sick
It's time to embrace slammed mini trucks again.

Ford Maverick First Lowered 2022 Maverick! Lowered 2022 Ford Maverick slammed lowering suspension shocks springs 5
Ford Maverick First Lowered 2022 Maverick! Lowered 2022 Ford Maverick slammed lowering suspension shocks springs 6
Ford Maverick First Lowered 2022 Maverick! Lowered 2022 Ford Maverick slammed lowering suspension shocks springs 2
Ford Maverick First Lowered 2022 Maverick! Lowered 2022 Ford Maverick slammed lowering suspension shocks springs 1
Ford Maverick First Lowered 2022 Maverick! Lowered 2022 Ford Maverick slammed lowering suspension shocks springs 3
Ford Maverick First Lowered 2022 Maverick! Lowered 2022 Ford Maverick slammed lowering suspension shocks springs 4

From: https://www.thedrive.com/news/42904/someone-lowered-a-2022-ford-maverick-already-and-it-looks-sick

October 28, 2021

Judging by the 100,000+ reservations for the new 2022 Ford Maverick, it'd be an understatement to call it well-received in the United States. The truck that's capable of 42 miles per gallon in the city brings the small pickup back into the limelight without sacrificing utility, and with a price tag of just over $20,000, it was only a matter of time before enthusiasts got their hands on one.

That's where Adam Edwards comes in. He's the owner Tedder's Body Shop in Searcy, Arkansas, and it didn't take long for him to become one of the first with a modded Maverick. Within a few days of taking delivery, he found a way to lower it.

Since no company officially makes an aftermarket lowering kit for the Maverick (yet), Edwards had to improvise. He took some measurements of the Maverick strut assembly and went to an auto parts store. After comparing a few options, he left with a pair of struts meant for a sixth-generation Nissan Sentra.

Edwards said that the strut mounted right up after replacing the top mounting cap with the factory Maverick part, and the only modification needed was a small 3/8-inch slotting on the bottom bolt hole.

The rears were a little more complicated. Edwards found a set of rear shocks meant for a number of older Fords ('66 Bronco and late '70s F-Series pickups) that also fit on the Maverick. Then, he cut down the rear springs and replaced the lower spring insulators.

The overall result was a four-inch drop in the front and a six-inch in the rear. In hindsight, Edwards says he wishes he had leveled it out just a bit more by only lowering it five inches in the rear.

This setup is just temporary, though. Edwards' Maverick will be headed to SEMA 2022, complete in mini truck attire. He tells us that he plans to put the truck on air suspension and that his build process will begin sometime in the next week or two. At least he gets to have some fun with a lowered truck on steelies in the interim.

Edwards told The Drive he hopes his project will inspire people to build next-gen mini trucks, and maybe even bring mini truck culture back to its former glory. Before compact pickups stopped being built, the hobby was thriving in all parts of the country. With the introduction of the Ford Maverick and Hyundai Santa Cruz, perhaps we'll see that scene make a comeback sooner than later.

"I believe if the people don’t embrace what we’ve been given here, we might never see a mini truck again," said Edwards. "I’m hoping [that] people adopt these and build them [until] they are as played out as S10s were."
Sponsored

Last edited:

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

What's the purpose of lowering the car other than to achieve a certain look?

Doesn't it decrease usability? Cause issues with curbs, etc?

Old guy who doesn't do cars often doesn't get it .

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not to get too technical, but I looked that up in Webster's and that is defined as "slammed", not "lowered".

Easier ingress/egress is why I wanted to lower the Ram, but consensus is that it is almost guaranteed to reduce ride quality and even reliability of the transmission, so I passed and started looking at lower trucks like the Maverick.

If it were done right, it can lower the center of gravity and improve handling, but if done wrong it can increase the roll center quite a bit to where handling is worse despite CoG being lower. I'm guessing the latter was done here, as the back seems too low IMO.

Some just like the look.

Sponsored

Mav

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Maverick
Looks great. But I would wait until there’s springs and struts made FOR the Maverick. Cutting springs is a no-no. And the right spring for the right application is crucial. If the goal is looks, just cut the stock coils. Then park it somewhere so you don’t have to drive it.

es7129

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Aside from the aesthetic if done correctly the vehicle will handle significantly better as well.

Mav

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Maverick

Ride becomes stiffer but better in the corners. More of a performance than comfort mod. Unless your the guy in the article where you are more concerned with how it looks

casanewt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 KIA Sportage X-Line Prestige PHEV
Engine
Undecided
If you are going to drop one, at least get it level. That one is too low in the back IMHO.

Sponsored

GTBuzz

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you are going to drop one, at least get it level. That one is too low in the back IMHO.
They probably going for the tail dragger look.

2cafn8d

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Monica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Jeep Wrangler, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Looks great. Very much looking forward to designed kits, especially for the Force Vectoring Springs. I'll do springs or coils until I can put a kit together for bags.

JamesHenry

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Fit, 2019 Honda Odyssey
I appreciate the ingenuity and resourcefulness of what was done to achieve the look. Definitely a page ripped right from the minitruck scene of yesteryear.

I am really excited for the future of the Maverick. Lots of people lifting, leaving stock, and lowering!

Old Fart

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT; 2016 Prius ECO
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I thought the lower rear was Knuckle Dragger look. Lower may increase mileage, due to lower wind resistance and since the lifters have been ragging on me, I'd concider lowering the ordered hybrid to see if it would improve mileage but will wait to see if my other tricks work before doing that. Lowered is, in my opinion, more agreeable especially if the tires remain in the fenders, hate the muddy truck look.
Sponsored