Sponsored

starquestbd22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
This is why I take all reviews from the likes of Alex on Autos, Redline reviews, Raitti's Rides, ect ect ect with many grains of large salt.
I like Doug DeMuro overall but some of his mannerisms get on my nerves. Is that mean, lol? Joe Raiti is my favorite and he will give a vehicle a "zonk" for something that he doesn't care for but he still yet rarely has much of anything negative to point out. Maybe he's just good at doing it in a way that doesn't sound so harsh.
Sponsored

slashy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
My opinion is because it would be shooting themselves in the foot. If manufactures stop letting you have access to their vehicles because you've slammed a few of them, you're suddenly out of a job, hobby, whatever.
I dunno, Doug Demuro seems to be able to get away with scoring cars pretty low on his charts, and I'm not just talking about the old cars he reviews.

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is why I take all reviews from the likes of Alex on Autos, Redline reviews, Raitti's Rides, ect ect ect with many grains of large salt.
Yep they are all going to have their own spin on what is essentially the press release content. Doug Demuro seems to stand out - I like his review style but I'm sure there are plenty that don't as well. The others seem to have oriented themselves towards the 'catchy comparison question and/or is this shocking' type headlines that gamers and other youtube personalities use - probably because the youtube algorithms seem to push that type of content to the top. They can be annoying, or have stupid headlines that actually have an interesting premise followed by literally no content related to the headline (Raitti's rides Santa Cruz one where the Maverick is mentioned come to mind). With that said, I'm sure most of us go out and watch as much content as we can, including the more garbage content that is out there.

The daily flood or articles we get to read that half the time are pointing to our own forum posts as source material are just as bad. At least it gives us all something to tide the time over, I guess?

Hdang1980

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I like Doug DeMuro overall but some of his mannerisms get on my nerves. Is that mean, lol? Joe Raiti is my favorite and he will give a vehicle a "zonk" for something that he doesn't care for but he still yet rarely has much of anything negative to point out. Maybe he's just good at doing it in a way that doesn't sound so harsh.
Doug's face pops up next to the meaning of speaking with your hands.

Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Two thoughts here.

One, do automotive journalists even give bad reviews anymore? I mean, Car and Driver or Motor Trend maybe. They've been around long enough that they can say something negative about a vehicle and keep rolling. But a lot of the individual reviewers don't get too critical of the vehicles they review. My opinion is because it would be shooting themselves in the foot. If manufacturers stop letting you have access to their vehicles because you've slammed a few of them, you're suddenly out of a job, hobby, whatever.

My second thought is regarding the lack of patience on this forum. I agree wholeheartedly. It's here and even more on the FB pages. But I would point out that the reason for my post wasn't to complain about the timing of reviews. It was simply to say that I'm surprised that Ford would possibly let vehicles get into the hands of dealers and customers before releasing the embargo. That may or may not happen...I guess time will tell.
pretty sure Consumer Reports has a little integrity left? Seems a lot of people put emphasis on JD Powers initial quality too and that is a little further down the line. Last time I was looking for a new vehicle in 2012/13 I thought Edmunds was pretty good. Don't about now.

Understand your point on reviews/embargo better now.

slashy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
pretty sure Consumer Reports has a little integrity left? Seems a lot of people put emphasis on JD Powers initial quality too and that is a little further down the line. Last time I was looking for a new vehicle in 2012/13 I thought Edmunds was pretty good. Don't about now.

Understand your point on reviews/embargo better now.
A lot of people have concerns about consumer reports, and they seem justified from a purely statistical analysis perspective, I think. Mainly it's self reported from subscribers, which is a very small subset of owners, and one that is probably not representative of the general population.

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

shark978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
canyon
Engine
Undecided
Two thoughts here.

One, do automotive journalists even give bad reviews anymore? I mean, Car and Driver or Motor Trend maybe. They've been around long enough that they can say something negative about a vehicle and keep rolling. But a lot of the individual reviewers don't get too critical of the vehicles they review. My opinion is because it would be shooting themselves in the foot. If manufacturers stop letting you have access to their vehicles because you've slammed a few of them, you're suddenly out of a job, hobby, whatever.

Personally I've grown to despise the snobbiness of reviewers in all fields. They see/review everything, so naturally they gravitate only towards the highest end products and trim levels. I saw a dude reviewing the 48k Ford Ranger Tremor and he was literally complaining about how the buttons feel. GRANTED, as much as I complain, I would probably also do the same LOL.

In cell phones I feel like 90% of the review is of only the camera then the other 10% is just whining if it doesn't have wireless charging (which is basically irrelevant). Similarly I bet most car reviews are beginning to spend 80% of their time on whether or not it has LED lights. As if literally nothing else matters.

Long story short they'll all be driving super nice brand new Mavs of the top trim level. My guess is you'll get a lot of bland meaningless praise (the car they are driving is brand new, what exactly is going to go wrong?) coupled with the usual passive aggressive micro-whining about how it doesnt match the 60K top trim Jeep Gladiator or 92k F-150 Lariat or what have you in this area or that.

TCK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta Sportwagen
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
IMO no hybrid reviews would be concerning for those of us that ordered hybrids.
Agreed, but my original question seems to be aging well now. I have not converted my reservation as I was hoping the dealer might get any trim/engine to see in person before I did so, but it seems the hybrid version that has me interested is a ways out. If they can’t build it reviewers can’t drive it right?

Sponsored

es7129

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Agreed, but my original question seems to be aging well now. I have not converted my reservation as I was hoping the dealer might get any trim/engine to see in person before I did so, but it seems the hybrid version that has me interested is a ways out. If they can’t build it reviewers can’t drive it right?
Absolutely. We were on the same page

Reactions: TCK

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion, E450 Leprechaun
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The date makes sense to me. You don’t want behind the wheel reviews too far in advance of the public being able to see one in person. Their ad campaign is working great in stimulating interest.

AC13

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT / 1964 Ford Fairlane 500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'll be curious to see some reviews but I don't think they will affect how I feel about my purchase decision one bit.

As long as the truck that's built for me has good build quality and the Ford dealer I bought it from stands behind their product in case of any problems, I think I'll be really happy with it.

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Consumer Reports may not be perfect, but it's the most objective source of information available. Unlike many other reviewers, they buy their vehicles--so they don't need to suck up to manufactures in hopes of receiving demo units. They don't take advertising money, so they don't owe any favors. Their stats are transparent and open, so anyone can see how they operate. NOT ONE other organization is so careful and objective.

jtpc2021

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Personally I've grown to despise the snobbiness of reviewers in all fields. They see/review everything, so naturally they gravitate only towards the highest end products and trim levels. I saw a dude reviewing the 48k Ford Ranger Tremor and he was literally complaining about how the buttons feel. GRANTED, as much as I complain, I would probably also do the same LOL.

In cell phones I feel like 90% of the review is of only the camera then the other 10% is just whining if it doesn't have wireless charging (which is basically irrelevant). Similarly I bet most car reviews are beginning to spend 80% of their time on whether or not it has LED lights. As if literally nothing else matters.

Long story short they'll all be driving super nice brand new Mavs of the top trim level. My guess is you'll get a lot of bland meaningless praise (the car they are driving is brand new, what exactly is going to go wrong?) coupled with the usual passive aggressive micro-whining about how it doesnt match the 60K top trim Jeep Gladiator or 92k F-150 Lariat or what have you in this area or that.
What he said. ^
Sponsored