Sponsored

Vince G

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150 Lariat
Pressed an auto journalist friend for when we'll finally see first drive reviews published for the 2022 Maverick.

The official Maverick press drives are taking place during last week of September in Nashville and then the reviews can be published when the embargo ends at 6AM on October 5.

Less than a month to go until we finally see reviews then...
Sponsored

starquestbd22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
I'm surprised and confused as to why Ford would wait this long. The first batch of dealer stock units supposedly started production over three weeks ago now. Assuming average transit time, some of those trucks really could/should be hitting dealer lots any time between now and the next week or two. Maybe Ford is factoring in extra time to perform extended quality checks on the first actual production batch. Or maybe they are intentionally timing the arrival of these trucks for right around the same time as the end of the embargo. My dealer told me that their first stock unit was scheduled to arrive on 10/04 so that would make sense.

Ksmavgal

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nada
I'm surprised and confused as to why Ford would wait this long. The first batch of dealer stock units supposedly started production over three weeks ago now. Assuming average transit time, some of those trucks really could/should be hitting dealer lots any time between now and the next week or two. Maybe Ford is factoring in extra time to perform extended quality checks on the first actual production batch. Or maybe they are intentionally timing the arrival of these trucks for right around the same time as the end of the embargo. My dealer told me that their first stock unit was scheduled to arrive on 10/04 so that would make sense.
Yeah with so many pre-orders (more than they anticipated), perhaps they are not wanting too much hype out to the public before there are any available for people to see/drive for themselves?

slashy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
With the first sellable units being made last week that makes sense. Gives them a few weeks to qa before the press gets their hands on them.

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
10 Wrangler 22 Lexus 22 Maverick 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I think you pretty much answered your own question they waited that long so they could get trucks at the dealership so when someone sees the truck review they could go by local dealer and see the actual truck

Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Because they know what they have here: a very likely Home Run product, but shortages on critical parts and constraints on others. The last thing they want/need is a Tsunami of new buyers stampeding to their local Ford dealer and trying to buy Mavericks and being told how long the wait might be (as we all know) and then the pissed off impatient people writing negative reviews because Ford was shortsighted and used poor "planing" because they should have KNOWN how many people would want them and there's no good reason they can't have it NOW.

I'm sure Ford Ops and MKTG are trying to manage the flow as shortages and constraints resolve so they can have a constant, if not somewhat restricted initially, flow in the pipeline going forward.

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I believe the Santa Cruz had a similar review embargo timeline - it started to hit dealers, there were a handful of dealer walk-arounds, then a few customer walk-arounds, and a week or two later the reviews all hit the youtubes.

RebellaE

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, Lux, 360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Glad to finally have a date. It feels like its way late, but they will be available long before most people get their hands on a retail truck, so its reasonable. Now I just want to know when IIHS will release their crash test ratings. The drive feel and crash worthiness are the 2 last factors for me being ready to drive off with my order.

kingranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ford.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The wait is just because reviews can only be done with fully representative mass-production units. Between the timing of when those go online, and the logistics of organizing a press event, you end up with Oct 5th.

As mentioned, the Santa CrudeCruz had a similar time frame, as do pretty much any other Ford products. I think what feels different here is that we are all hyper-aware of build schedules. Waiting sucks, I know, but it will be here before much longer.

TCK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta Sportwagen
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Agree that the company does not really need the hype machine on this one which seems like it is selling itself for filling a HUGE vacancy in the car market, so I patiently await the drive reviews. However, at this point it seems those drive reviews will not likely be of the hybrid version, right?

Sponsored

es7129

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Agree that the company does not really need the hype machine on this one which seems like it is selling itself for filling a HUGE vacancy in the car market, so I patiently await the drive reviews. However, at this point it seems those drive reviews will not likely be of the hybrid version, right?
IMO no hybrid reviews would be concerning for those of us that ordered hybrids.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They may not have produced any for dealer stock, but I have to imagine Ford also produced some extra hybrids on the full production line if only to QA evaluate the process for OKTB the same as with the Ecoboosts..

Braderick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mav XLT, RAV4 Hybrid, KIA EV6
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford wants everyone to get their confirmed build dates and as many trucks to customers...

so when the bad reviews come out....(Evil Laughing)

that's why they are being so secretive...

...kidding.

Patience is not a virtue on the forum.

starquestbd22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Ford wants everyone to get their confirmed build dates and as many trucks to customers...

so when the bad reviews come out....(Evil Laughing)

that's why they are being so secretive...

...kidding.

Patience is not a virtue on the forum.
Two thoughts here.

One, do automotive journalists even give bad reviews anymore? I mean, Car and Driver or Motor Trend maybe. They've been around long enough that they can say something negative about a vehicle and keep rolling. But a lot of the individual reviewers don't get too critical of the vehicles they review. My opinion is because it would be shooting themselves in the foot. If manufacturers stop letting you have access to their vehicles because you've slammed a few of them, you're suddenly out of a job, hobby, whatever.

My second thought is regarding the lack of patience on this forum. I agree wholeheartedly. It's here and even more on the FB pages. But I would point out that the reason for my post wasn't to complain about the timing of reviews. It was simply to say that I'm surprised that Ford would possibly let vehicles get into the hands of dealers and customers before releasing the embargo. That may or may not happen...I guess time will tell.

Last edited:

r100gs91

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cactus Grey Hybrid- XLT w/Lux-2021 BMW F900xr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Two thoughts here.

One, do automotive journalists even give bad reviews anymore? I mean, Car and Driver or Motor Trend maybe. They've been around long enough that they can say something negative about a vehicle and keep rolling. But a lot of the individual reviewers don't get too critical of the vehicles they review. My opinion is because it would be shooting themselves in the foot. If manufactures stop letting you have access to their vehicles because you've slammed a few of them, you're suddenly out of a job, hobby, whatever.
This is why I take all reviews from the likes of Alex on Autos, Redline reviews, Raitti's Rides, ect ect ect with many grains of large salt.
Sponsored