First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat 1st Edition, 83 F-350 CCLB SRW
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Man, thank you for posting. That thing looks just like the SnugTop. Ford even sells it labeled "by SnugTop" . I'm wondering if Ford gave Leer a contract to make the same topper. Do tell, do tell. My tarp has been flapping in the wind. Last nights storm drive was rough, the cap would be key.
So, snugtop had the accessory contract from ford exclusively, but ford then licensed leer to make the caps. They are from the same parent company (snugtop, leer, century caps, and bedslide are all part of the ā€œleer groupā€ of JB Poindexter & Co.) so I donā€™t know how that transpired.
Sponsored

OP
OP

aero319

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Looks great! As for your concerns about water infiltration and freezing, keep in mind that the cab roof rails dump water down the back underneath the bed rails.
Thatā€™s actually my concernā€”that gap between the cab and the cap is really small, and with the Maverick being a unibody, it has to flow to the channel a few inches from the front of the bed. Iā€™m just hoping it doesnā€™t freeze in the process and fill the gap with ice.

Shay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Man, thank you for posting. That thing looks just like the SnugTop. Ford even sells it labeled "by SnugTop" . I'm wondering if Ford gave Leer a contract to make the same topper. Do tell, do tell. My tarp has been flapping in the wind. Last nights storm drive was rough, the cap would be key.
Leer/SnugTop = Same manufacturer

jpdurr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy HHR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hey everybody, Iā€™m new to the forum but Iā€™ve had my Maverick for a little over a year now. I was faced with immense difficulty in getting one ordered, as many others were. I lucked out and found mine with 1600 miles on it and bought it from the owner of a dealership.

Anyway, I absolutely love it! So much common sense went into the design of the Maverick, itā€™s a refreshing holiday from the theme of so many other vehicles being designed recently. I did intend to add the SnugTop cap as soon as humanly possible, but again, ordering problemsā€¦ SnugTop had raised the price of their Maverick cap three times since the Maverick hit the road, but the estimated delivery timeframe is still ā€œunknownā€. As a result of this, Ford swooped in and licensed Leer to manufacture a new Maverick cap, to fill the supply gap. Itā€™s worth mentioning that there are some other options out thereā€”A.R.E. has one, and there are a few other smaller company alternatives that are great if youā€™re in the same geographic region. But for all intensive purposes, my options were effectively the A.R.E. or the Leer.

Personally Iā€™m not a big fan of A.R.E. product designs, but they had some great features to offer for their V model cap, which includes a fold down front window, sliding and flip up side windows, carpeted headliner, and interior lights. It does not have any rise in the shell though, so the overall height is almost level with the cab.

The Leer on the other hand offers almost the same features, with the exception of the flip up side windows that offer access from the sides of the bed. These wouldā€™ve been awesome, except they require a painted section of the cap between the bed rail and the window. The leer has crank out windows to allow some ventilation in the cap, while keeping your things dry in inclement weather. It also is a mid rise cap so it adds to the functionality of an already small bed. Itā€™s also worth mentioning that with the rear window flipped up to access the bed, itā€™s about forehead height on a 6ā€™ tall person. (Without the mid rise, ducking under the door to the shell would be a huge inconvenience to say the least.)

The result is, I went with the Leer. Iā€™ve had it for a couple weeks now, and around 1700 miles.
On a side note, I do have some concerns about the gap between the cap and the cabā€”in the winter months, Iā€™m hoping that the water will be able to drain without freezing inside the gap. More to come on that in a few months or soā€¦ šŸ˜¬

But, if anyone has any questions about it, Iā€™ll be more than happy to help out as much as I can. I wish that I had the opportunity to see some pictures and talk to someone that had a cap when I was shopping for mine. I do love it though and itā€™s expanded the functionality of my beloved Maverick immensely!

BEDCFE1A-4FA5-4141-AB77-4CBF36E4CD06.jpeg

EEF1EA8E-09A1-4B08-B35A-54B3D97289CE.jpeg

9DC44040-1C46-477C-9E5F-897A1C3945BE.jpeg

396B7B77-847B-488F-B202-56CB9AD7D6CF.jpeg

D6F9895A-489C-4C1D-AC4C-DA2AB269219E.jpeg

F467B125-F38A-49F4-8E59-57549831FE17.jpeg

88ADA851-2E16-4BAD-AD54-36A734F92905.jpeg

0AE85A96-9CEF-4F09-8D5F-A1688F938EBF.jpeg

BD2B75F1-1FB7-44DE-81D0-1720F2179635.jpeg
Just an FYI, nobody needs any "License" from Ford to Design, Manufacture, and or Market a Truck cap for the Maverick or any other Truck sold on the open market. That doesn't mean that said entities can't cooperate or seek Ford's approval. I'm just curious why you chose the word License in this situation.

jpdurr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy HHR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just an FYI, nobody needs any "License" from Ford to Design, Manufacture, and or Market a Truck cap for the Maverick or any other Truck sold on the open market. That doesn't mean that said entities can't cooperate or seek Ford's approval. I'm just curious why you chose the word License in this situation.
Also to clarify, I'm not saying that ARE or Leer (or anyone else) does not have a license with Ford, they can and there may be some benefits to doing so. But I was just stating that the do not require a license to market aftermarket products that fit Fords or any other brands vehicles.

Sponsored

OP
OP

aero319

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Also to clarify, I'm not saying that ARE or Leer (or anyone else) does not have a license with Ford, they can and there may be some benefits to doing so. But I was just stating that the do not require a license to market aftermarket products that fit Fords or any other brands vehicles.
I only used the word ā€œlicensedā€ because thatā€™s what I meant. Ford specifically endorses certain manufacturers to produce products for their various models, thus awarding those manufacturers licensure, in exchange for a percentage of sales to return to Ford in the form of royalties.
In the instance of the Maverick cap, Leer Group is the only manufacturer licensed by Ford to sell the only cap officially endorsed by Ford.

ā€œFord Licensed Product By Leer Group
LEERĀ® Group offers a full line of product for you to sell with all Ford light duty trucks. The Ford Licensed Products by LEERĀ® Group include bed caps ā€“ both recreational and commercial, Pace Edwards by LEERĀ® UltraGroove Electric retractable covers, hard folding bed covers, and BedSlideĀ® by LEERĀ®. Your customers may add one or more of these products to the Ford F150, SuperDuty, Ranger or Maverick.ā€

Does this mean no one else can produce a cap for the Maverick? Of course not, but I never alluded to that either.
I guess that now Iā€™m curious as to why you felt the need to comment twice about this, especially considering that your remarks were generally irrelevant to the intent of the original post. This thread was simply meant to give folks an opportunity to see pictures of the cap, in case they were considering ordering one. I also wanted to invite people to ask questions about the cap or my experience with ordering it, as well to possibly share their own experiences and (constructive) thoughts.

Tundra2Maverick(?)

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid Lariat Base Grp 500A
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hey everybody, Iā€™m new to the forum but Iā€™ve had my Maverick for a little over a year now. I was faced with immense difficulty in getting one ordered, as many others were. I lucked out and found mine with 1600 miles on it and bought it from the owner of a dealership.

Anyway, I absolutely love it! So much common sense went into the design of the Maverick, itā€™s a refreshing holiday from the theme of so many other vehicles being designed recently. I did intend to add the SnugTop cap as soon as humanly possible, but again, ordering problemsā€¦ SnugTop had raised the price of their Maverick cap three times since the Maverick hit the road, but the estimated delivery timeframe is still ā€œunknownā€. As a result of this, Ford swooped in and licensed Leer to manufacture a new Maverick cap, to fill the supply gap. Itā€™s worth mentioning that there are some other options out thereā€”A.R.E. has one, and there are a few other smaller company alternatives that are great if youā€™re in the same geographic region. But for all intensive purposes, my options were effectively the A.R.E. or the Leer.

Personally Iā€™m not a big fan of A.R.E. product designs, but they had some great features to offer for their V model cap, which includes a fold down front window, sliding and flip up side windows, carpeted headliner, and interior lights. It does not have any rise in the shell though, so the overall height is almost level with the cab.

The Leer on the other hand offers almost the same features, with the exception of the flip up side windows that offer access from the sides of the bed. These wouldā€™ve been awesome, except they require a painted section of the cap between the bed rail and the window. The leer has crank out windows to allow some ventilation in the cap, while keeping your things dry in inclement weather. It also is a mid rise cap so it adds to the functionality of an already small bed. Itā€™s also worth mentioning that with the rear window flipped up to access the bed, itā€™s about forehead height on a 6ā€™ tall person. (Without the mid rise, ducking under the door to the shell would be a huge inconvenience to say the least.)

The result is, I went with the Leer. Iā€™ve had it for a couple weeks now, and around 1700 miles.
On a side note, I do have some concerns about the gap between the cap and the cabā€”in the winter months, Iā€™m hoping that the water will be able to drain without freezing inside the gap. More to come on that in a few months or soā€¦ šŸ˜¬

But, if anyone has any questions about it, Iā€™ll be more than happy to help out as much as I can. I wish that I had the opportunity to see some pictures and talk to someone that had a cap when I was shopping for mine. I do love it though and itā€™s expanded the functionality of my beloved Maverick immensely!

Thanks for the detailed pictures and description. The color matched top and large side windows look great! Too bad the windows cannot open for side bed access. Thanks again.

OP
OP

aero319

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Too bad the windows cannot open for side bed access.
Thanks, I really like it! I do wish the windows flipped up for access, but I also like the appearance of this shell better. The flip up windows are much smaller and required a frame that went around the window and it didnā€™t look as good. ( in my opinion)

SirArtemus

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick xlt 51 hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Can you still use your roof bars? How much higher are they to your cap?

Gvmumbral

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gerardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Love this topper, i was wondering if you could please measure the height from the floor of the bed to the ceiling of the topper.

Cheers!
Sponsored