First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat 1st Edition, 83 F-350 CCLB SRW
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hey everybody, I’m new to the forum but I’ve had my Maverick for a little over a year now. I was faced with immense difficulty in getting one ordered, as many others were. I lucked out and found mine with 1600 miles on it and bought it from the owner of a dealership.

Anyway, I absolutely love it! So much common sense went into the design of the Maverick, it’s a refreshing holiday from the theme of so many other vehicles being designed recently. I did intend to add the SnugTop cap as soon as humanly possible, but again, ordering problems… SnugTop had raised the price of their Maverick cap three times since the Maverick hit the road, but the estimated delivery timeframe is still “unknown”. As a result of this, Ford swooped in and licensed Leer to manufacture a new Maverick cap, to fill the supply gap. It’s worth mentioning that there are some other options out there—A.R.E. has one, and there are a few other smaller company alternatives that are great if you’re in the same geographic region. But for all intensive purposes, my options were effectively the A.R.E. or the Leer.

Personally I’m not a big fan of A.R.E. product designs, but they had some great features to offer for their V model cap, which includes a fold down front window, sliding and flip up side windows, carpeted headliner, and interior lights. It does not have any rise in the shell though, so the overall height is almost level with the cab.

The Leer on the other hand offers almost the same features, with the exception of the flip up side windows that offer access from the sides of the bed. These would’ve been awesome, except they require a painted section of the cap between the bed rail and the window. The leer has crank out windows to allow some ventilation in the cap, while keeping your things dry in inclement weather. It also is a mid rise cap so it adds to the functionality of an already small bed. It’s also worth mentioning that with the rear window flipped up to access the bed, it’s about forehead height on a 6’ tall person. (Without the mid rise, ducking under the door to the shell would be a huge inconvenience to say the least.)

The result is, I went with the Leer. I’ve had it for a couple weeks now, and around 1700 miles.
On a side note, I do have some concerns about the gap between the cap and the cab—in the winter months, I’m hoping that the water will be able to drain without freezing inside the gap. More to come on that in a few months or so… 😬

But, if anyone has any questions about it, I’ll be more than happy to help out as much as I can. I wish that I had the opportunity to see some pictures and talk to someone that had a cap when I was shopping for mine. I do love it though and it’s expanded the functionality of my beloved Maverick immensely!

Ford Maverick FINALLY got my Leer Truck Cap Installed! BEDCFE1A-4FA5-4141-AB77-4CBF36E4CD06

Ford Maverick FINALLY got my Leer Truck Cap Installed! EEF1EA8E-09A1-4B08-B35A-54B3D97289CE

Ford Maverick FINALLY got my Leer Truck Cap Installed! 9DC44040-1C46-477C-9E5F-897A1C3945BE

Ford Maverick FINALLY got my Leer Truck Cap Installed! 396B7B77-847B-488F-B202-56CB9AD7D6CF

Ford Maverick FINALLY got my Leer Truck Cap Installed! D6F9895A-489C-4C1D-AC4C-DA2AB269219E

Ford Maverick FINALLY got my Leer Truck Cap Installed! F467B125-F38A-49F4-8E59-57549831FE17

Ford Maverick FINALLY got my Leer Truck Cap Installed! 88ADA851-2E16-4BAD-AD54-36A734F92905

Ford Maverick FINALLY got my Leer Truck Cap Installed! 0AE85A96-9CEF-4F09-8D5F-A1688F938EBF

Ford Maverick FINALLY got my Leer Truck Cap Installed! BD2B75F1-1FB7-44DE-81D0-1720F2179635
Sponsored

kkreit01

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Korey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick, '17 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 V6
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't care what anyone says, that one looks the best by far. The ones with the tiny side windows just do not look good IMO.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Hey everybody, I’m new to the forum but I’ve had my Maverick for a little over a year now. I was faced with immense difficulty in getting one ordered, as many others were. I lucked out and found mine with 1600 miles on it and bought it from the owner of a dealership.
Anyway, I absolutely love it! So much common sense went into the design of the Maverick, it’s a refreshing holiday from the theme of so many other vehicles being designed recently. I did intend to add the SnugTop cap as soon as humanly possible, but again, ordering problems… SnugTop had raised the price of their Maverick cap three times since the Maverick hit the road, but the estimated delivery timeframe is still “unknown”. As a result of this, Ford swooped in and licensed Leer to manufacture a new Maverick cap, to fill the supply gap. It’s worth mentioning that there are some other options out there—A.R.E. has one, and there are a few other smaller company alternatives that are great if you’re in the same geographic region. But for all intensive purposes, my options were effectively the A.R.E. or the Leer.
Personally I’m not a big fan of A.R.E. product designs, but they had some great features to offer for their V model cap, which includes a fold down front window, sliding and flip up side windows, carpeted headliner, and interior lights. It does not have any rise in the shell though, so the overall height is almost level with the cab.
The Leer on the other hand offers almost the same features, with the exception of the flip up side windows that offer access from the sides of the bed. These would’ve been awesome, except they require a painted section of the cap between the bed rail and the window. The leer has crank out windows to allow some ventilation in the cap, while keeping your things dry in inclement weather. It also is a mid rise cap so it adds to the functionality of an already small bed. It’s also worth mentioning that with the rear window flipped up to access the bed, it’s about forehead height on a 6’ tall person. (Without the mid rise, ducking under the door to the shell would be a huge inconvenience to say the least.)
The result is, I went with the Leer. I’ve had it for a couple weeks now, and around 1700 miles.
On a side note, I do have some concerns about the gap between the cap and the cab—in the winter months, I’m hoping that the water will be able to drain without freezing inside the gap. More to come on that in a few months or so… 😬
But, if anyone has any questions about it, I’ll be more than happy to help out as much as I can. I wish that I had the opportunity to see some pictures and talk to someone that had a cap when I was shopping for mine. I do love it though and it’s expanded the functionality of my beloved Maverick immensely!

BEDCFE1A-4FA5-4141-AB77-4CBF36E4CD06.jpeg

EEF1EA8E-09A1-4B08-B35A-54B3D97289CE.jpeg

9DC44040-1C46-477C-9E5F-897A1C3945BE.jpeg

396B7B77-847B-488F-B202-56CB9AD7D6CF.jpeg

D6F9895A-489C-4C1D-AC4C-DA2AB269219E.jpeg

F467B125-F38A-49F4-8E59-57549831FE17.jpeg

88ADA851-2E16-4BAD-AD54-36A734F92905.jpeg

0AE85A96-9CEF-4F09-8D5F-A1688F938EBF.jpeg

BD2B75F1-1FB7-44DE-81D0-1720F2179635.jpeg
I like the look. Who painted it? How much did it cost? Can you mount cross bars on top of it?

Thanks!

OP
OP

aero319

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Honestly, I’m not sure if you can mount bars in too but I’d be surprised if you can’t. It sits just below the level of the bars I have on the roof of the cab though, so bars on the cap would be pretty high up there.
I ordered it paint matched, so it came from the factory in Area 51 blue.
The cost from a local dealer was $2995.00 plus tax. Leer had a promotion running through 1 January, so I was fortunately able to take advantage of that.

tom_tucker

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Honestly, I’m not sure if you can mount bars in too but I’d be surprised if you can’t. It sits just below the level of the bars I have on the roof of the cab though, so bars on the cap would be pretty high up there.
I ordered it paint matched, so it came from the factory in Area 51 blue.
The cost from a local dealer was $2995.00 plus tax. Leer had a promotion running through 1 January, so I was fortunately able to take advantage of that.
Man, thank you for posting. That thing looks just like the SnugTop. Ford even sells it labeled "by SnugTop" . I'm wondering if Ford gave Leer a contract to make the same topper. Do tell, do tell. My tarp has been flapping in the wind. Last nights storm drive was rough, the cap would be key.

Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Looks great which is what they were primarily focused on. I need to access the bed more so I will have to go with ARE myself.

KimoCarew

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kimo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus ES 300H
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

BEDCFE1A-4FA5-4141-AB77-4CBF36E4CD06.jpeg

EEF1EA8E-09A1-4B08-B35A-54B3D97289CE.jpeg

9DC44040-1C46-477C-9E5F-897A1C3945BE.jpeg

396B7B77-847B-488F-B202-56CB9AD7D6CF.jpeg

D6F9895A-489C-4C1D-AC4C-DA2AB269219E.jpeg

F467B125-F38A-49F4-8E59-57549831FE17.jpeg

88ADA851-2E16-4BAD-AD54-36A734F92905.jpeg

0AE85A96-9CEF-4F09-8D5F-A1688F938EBF.jpeg

BD2B75F1-1FB7-44DE-81D0-1720F2179635.jpeg
I have the same Area 51 First Edition and I ordered a black Leer… then I changed my mind and tried to cancel but it was too late and I didn’t want to leave the local dealer in the lurch… so I should have it soon. I’m glad to hear you are enjoying yours.

Montevilla

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cactus Gray Maverick XL Hybrid w/moonroof
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looks great! As for your concerns about water infiltration and freezing, keep in mind that the cab roof rails dump water down the back underneath the bed rails.

Ford Maverick FINALLY got my Leer Truck Cap Installed! mavcab_LI (2)

Barksdale123

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Looks great. Thanks for sharing.

KimoCarew

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kimo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus ES 300H
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I scraped my head against the door latch on the open hatch three times within the first 5 minutes of owning it. Like it or not, it is here to stay. The visibility out of the back window is nonexistent. I'm glad I have the warning lights on the side mirrors.
Ford Maverick FINALLY got my Leer Truck Cap Installed! 70251677905__D20E7CA9-63DE-46DD-9365-3F5E6CD487AD

Sponsored

Bsoute00

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 F250, 21 Bronco Sport, 23 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I scraped my head against the door latch on the open hatch three times within the first 5 minutes of owning it. Like it or not, it is here to stay. The visibility out of the back window is nonexistent. I'm glad I have the warning lights on the side mirrors.
70251677905__D20E7CA9-63DE-46DD-9365-3F5E6CD487AD.jpg
I am surprised but that black actually looks really good, I like it.

OP
OP

aero319

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I scraped my head against the door latch on the open hatch three times within the first 5 minutes of owning it.
You ain’t foolin—I do wish the door opened a bit higher…
But *knocks on wood* I haven’t bumped into it yet…

OP
OP

aero319

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Looks great which is what they were primarily focused on. I need to access the bed more so I will have to go with ARE myself.
Thanks! I will add that since the bed is so short, access hasn’t been a problem. I can reach the front of the bed from a kneeling position on the tailgate. That side access would be great, no doubt, but I’m immensely grateful that I went with the mid rise. The Maverick bed is small enough, I didn’t want to make it even smaller.
Sponsored