First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nice truck. The only thing I dislike about mine is the blind spot detection doesn't have a audible bleep to warn you and no adaptive cruise on the XLT.
To be fair, I don't think it needs to beep at you. Having the mirrors light up is far more intuitive and less distracting. Adaptive cruise would be nice, but they had to leave something out at this price point. Of all the things to cut, that was the right decision.
Sponsored

Droid82

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
To be fair, I don't think it needs to beep at you. Having the mirrors light up is far more intuitive and less distracting. Adaptive cruise would be nice, but they had to leave something out at this price point. Of all the things to cut, that was the right decision.
I get it but every other vehicle I've driven with blind spot has that. Over time you get use to that. Adaptive cruise I would have paid extra for it if it would have been a option.

OneAlienBoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Did you have to pay our new "privilege tax"? I think mine was about $270 or so. I live in Salem. Love the truck. Drove recently to Utah so I did some 80 mph too. The only tank I got at 26 mpg was with a head wind. Averaged about 32 mpg for the whole trip. I did get 40 mpg from Ogden to Salt Lake City and back driving between 65 and 70. Mine is a Cyber Orange lux lariat co pilot hybrid.
Yeah had to drive from Riverton to Provo (had some business at an overrated college to attend to). Averaged about 38 on the highway, not bad.

matmondro

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mathieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nice truck! I'd definitely say fully loaded haha. Just like you, I also am a recent college grad and got a $750 rebate from Ford. I also got 0% financing at 36 months. No mark up and A-Plan for me too, sure feels like a steal doesn't it?! 👍🏻

Sponsored

BankableWhee

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Congratulations on receiving your truck! I am also a recent college grad; I bought my truck at MSRP, and I am really excited that even after 8 months and 20,000 miles, KBB still puts its value at more than I paid for it! Definitely feels like a steal. (y)

Bigbill27

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 focus, 2023 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
After 17 months (July 9th, 2021 order), my Maverick XLT Hybrid was ready to go. Shout out to Doherty Ford in Forest Grove, Oregon. They were awesome to deal with through this whole process and attempted to pull zero fast ones during this whole process. We had the credit application ran before I arrived, and I was in and out of the place in about 25 minutes.

Here's the available options I got:
The Luxury package
Co-Pilot 360
Bed Extender
Rubber floor mats
Manual Sliding Rear Window
Splash Guards
Roadside Assistance Kit
First-aid kit
Cargo Bed net
Black Maverick lettering on the back
Metal door sills
Sunscreen
Hood deflector
FITS Accessories Kit (free)
little 3D printed shelf insert for the cubby hole (aftermarket)
Hitch cover that looks like Captain America's Shield (aftermarket)
Hitch pin

So I would officially call this a fully loaded XLT Hybrid. Total cost of everything OTD after taxes and fees was $28,167.41 (God bless Oregon, no sales tax). That's with no dealer markup and 0% interest on a 36 month loan through Ford Credit. It was $29,167.41, but I got $1,000 off for being a recent college grad. Considering what I got, I cannot possibly imagine a better car for 28 grand. Knowing I got the hottest car in America $1,000 off MSRP and 0% interest is a pretty sweet feeling. As you can see, it's a sick looking ride and love seeing it in person. Definitely a tad bigger than I thought it would be.

After picking up the car, immediately hit up i-84 and began the 4.5 ish hour drive back home to eastern Oregon. Was living in Portland when I originally bought the car so had to drive it back after flying to Portland that morning. It was about a 260 mile drive, and it was an awesome way to get to know my new truck. Here's some observations I had.

First off, the luxury package (especially the 2022 version) is a MUST. Without it, it's a cool utility truck. With it, it's an exceptional commuter car. It's cold in eastern Oregon, so having heated everything, the spray in bedliner, power driver seat, and the very nice heated leather steering wheel really give me confidence that this was a great choice for a daily driver. I would regret not having some of those creature comforts.

It was super fun driving home and learning about all these modern features. I've been driving a 30 year old Volvo for the past couple of years and have never had a "modern" car (closest would be a very bare bones 2008 Hyundai Accent which had zero modern features). Never had a hybrid, never had blind spot monitoring, never had a touchscreen, never had a digital display for an odometer, never had heated seats, never had a heated steering wheel, never had a steering wheel with a button other than the horn. So even if the Maverick lags behind on tech, this thing is the gotdang future in my world. I thought it would be overwhelming but this thing is a breeze to drive. Decent acceleration for a hybrid, good visibility, smooth ride, quiet interior, and easy to pass people. I also never have had a car with a CVT before, and frankly I see no issues with that CVT droll or any lack of tactile feel. The seats are comfortable and had no problems driving for extended periods. The base stereo is good enough for my books, and the interior is slick. Everyone who has seen it loves the XLT interior with the two-tone seats and the orange flashes. I live in a rural community with a lot of big trucks and Big Truck Energy People, and everyone thinks its sweet.

The only "complaint" I have (isn't really a complaint but rather the reality of the situation) would be the gas mileage on the highway at "True" highway speed. In the cold with the heat on averaging more than 80MPH (occasionally hitting...higher), I averaged about 26MPG on the way home with about 95% of that on the interstate. That's on me for having a lead foot and wanting to get home, but considering the vast majority of driving I do outside of my commute is highway driving, I don't think i'll be hitting 40MPG too often. Still, 26MPG driving like a maniac ain't half bad.

Overall, absolutely in love with the thing. Again, considering the price, and considering how expensive modern cars have gotten (I still can't get over the average new car price in America being over $45k), this is technically an economy car, and it sure doesn't feel like one. I look forward to rolling with this vehicle for at least the last fifteen years.

unnamed (1).jpg
The engine needs time to break-in. This will improve your mileage over time. I had a 2000 ford focus that started out with 19 mpg and after a few hundred miles started getting in the upper 20s and lower 30s.

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Biggest factor causing your mpg to be low was likely speed. Here's a post I wrote previously about a great video (not by me - I don't have my Maverick yet) where the YouTuber shares his results at various speeds. It's pretty eye-opening: Hybrid MPG at various speeds on highway

AMCJeepMJ

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One too many
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Congrats on your new Mav. I just picked mine up 2 days ago in Bend at MSRP. No sales tax in Oregon is a blessing.

Didn't get the recent college grad discount... unless 25 years ago is 'recent' but did do the Farm Bureau 500; beats a poke in the eye.

As an aside, some Washington dealers honor the no Oregon sales tax as long as you can prove you're an Oregon resident; I did this with a JDM car dealership this summer up in Seattle and kept a few hundred in my pocket.

wheremav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a very similar build. Are you able to post a picture of the interior, specifically the steering wheel? I'm curious to know what the dash and leather wrapped steering wheel looks like. Also, how are the heated cloth seats? I've never seen cloth seats that were heated before.

Sponsored

Chicolini

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150s, Mustang GT Convertible, Mazda B3000
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Boy you sure did wait a long, long time! I waited 14 months for my Hybrid and it seemed endless.

Pickup trucks have the aerodynamics of a brick, so speed really hurts your mileage. Even a small decrease in speed will help your MPG.

I hope you enjoy your new truck for many years to come.

r100gs91

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cactus Grey Hybrid- XLT w/Lux-2021 BMW F900xr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah, I wouldn’t call 80 mph true highway speed (unless a few highways in Texas). In Oklahoma, most highways are 65-70 in my area. I got one speeding ticket when I was 17 and that was enough for me. 3-4 mph over the speed limit should be enough for anyone in my opinion.

But even speeding, I’d think your fuel economy should be better. I guess continue to monitor it to ensure things are working correctly.
On a trip on a cold day below 30°F, doing 65 mph into a 25 mph headwind, showed 24-26 mpg on the instant mpg meter on level ground..

Bad combo of cold, headwinds of 25 mph and highway speeds will destroy mpg. Consider that when I filled up the full tank came out to 37.3 mpg. I'll take it.

Last edited:

Taxman100

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maverick is not the most aerodynamic, so the speed is your reason for lower mpg.

On my commute to work, I drive 72 mph to the office, and the 65 mph speed limit coming home. Even that difference increases my fuel economy by close to 10%.

I know this is not the same vehicle, but someone ran tests driving the same route both ways at different speeds, and came up with these results. Driving 75 mph instead of 62 mph dropped his mileage by over 25%.

Ford Maverick Finally got it! Initial 4-hour drive home in Maverick XLT Hybrid review 1669225679737

SLINGSHOT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

An old saying is racing is, "Speed costs money, how fast can you afford to go?" The same applies to the street.

Krodger277

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
After 17 months (July 9th, 2021 order), my Maverick XLT Hybrid was ready to go. Shout out to Doherty Ford in Forest Grove, Oregon. They were awesome to deal with through this whole process and attempted to pull zero fast ones during this whole process. We had the credit application ran before I arrived, and I was in and out of the place in about 25 minutes.

Here's the available options I got:
The Luxury package
Co-Pilot 360
Bed Extender
Rubber floor mats
Manual Sliding Rear Window
Splash Guards
Roadside Assistance Kit
First-aid kit
Cargo Bed net
Black Maverick lettering on the back
Metal door sills
Sunscreen
Hood deflector
FITS Accessories Kit (free)
little 3D printed shelf insert for the cubby hole (aftermarket)
Hitch cover that looks like Captain America's Shield (aftermarket)
Hitch pin

So I would officially call this a fully loaded XLT Hybrid. Total cost of everything OTD after taxes and fees was $28,167.41 (God bless Oregon, no sales tax). That's with no dealer markup and 0% interest on a 36 month loan through Ford Credit. It was $29,167.41, but I got $1,000 off for being a recent college grad. Considering what I got, I cannot possibly imagine a better car for 28 grand. Knowing I got the hottest car in America $1,000 off MSRP and 0% interest is a pretty sweet feeling. As you can see, it's a sick looking ride and love seeing it in person. Definitely a tad bigger than I thought it would be.

After picking up the car, immediately hit up i-84 and began the 4.5 ish hour drive back home to eastern Oregon. Was living in Portland when I originally bought the car so had to drive it back after flying to Portland that morning. It was about a 260 mile drive, and it was an awesome way to get to know my new truck. Here's some observations I had.

First off, the luxury package (especially the 2022 version) is a MUST. Without it, it's a cool utility truck. With it, it's an exceptional commuter car. It's cold in eastern Oregon, so having heated everything, the spray in bedliner, power driver seat, and the very nice heated leather steering wheel really give me confidence that this was a great choice for a daily driver. I would regret not having some of those creature comforts.

It was super fun driving home and learning about all these modern features. I've been driving a 30 year old Volvo for the past couple of years and have never had a "modern" car (closest would be a very bare bones 2008 Hyundai Accent which had zero modern features). Never had a hybrid, never had blind spot monitoring, never had a touchscreen, never had a digital display for an odometer, never had heated seats, never had a heated steering wheel, never had a steering wheel with a button other than the horn. So even if the Maverick lags behind on tech, this thing is the gotdang future in my world. I thought it would be overwhelming but this thing is a breeze to drive. Decent acceleration for a hybrid, good visibility, smooth ride, quiet interior, and easy to pass people. I also never have had a car with a CVT before, and frankly I see no issues with that CVT droll or any lack of tactile feel. The seats are comfortable and had no problems driving for extended periods. The base stereo is good enough for my books, and the interior is slick. Everyone who has seen it loves the XLT interior with the two-tone seats and the orange flashes. I live in a rural community with a lot of big trucks and Big Truck Energy People, and everyone thinks its sweet.

The only "complaint" I have (isn't really a complaint but rather the reality of the situation) would be the gas mileage on the highway at "True" highway speed. In the cold with the heat on averaging more than 80MPH (occasionally hitting...higher), I averaged about 26MPG on the way home with about 95% of that on the interstate. That's on me for having a lead foot and wanting to get home, but considering the vast majority of driving I do outside of my commute is highway driving, I don't think i'll be hitting 40MPG too often. Still, 26MPG driving like a maniac ain't half bad.

Overall, absolutely in love with the thing. Again, considering the price, and considering how expensive modern cars have gotten (I still can't get over the average new car price in America being over $45k), this is technically an economy car, and it sure doesn't feel like one. I look forward to rolling with this vehicle for at least the last fifteen years.

unnamed (1).jpg
It's true that speed is where you were losing gas mileage. The trick for highway driving is to bring your speed up to 5 mph more than your target speed and let off the accelerator. The hybrid will drop into electric and you slowly press the accelerator to maintain speed. Keeping it in electric mode for as long as possible. I had a 100 mile highway trip that I managed over 40 mpg by doing this. Of course my speed was close to 65 instead of 80. It takes getting used to driving differently in the hybrid
Sponsored