Sponsored

Fake engine and hybrid exterior sound in Maverick hybrid 2.5L?

Amakrida

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Pretty common in hot hatches and other smaller performance oriented cars. Anything with a small engine that is supposed to be quick. Really doubt Ford bothers, and they probably would have mentioned it by now
Sounds like one more expense and in the interest of that base MSRP of $19995 I really hope Ford skipped this.
Sponsored

technolithic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Sounds like one more expense and in the interest of that base MSRP of $19995 I really hope Ford skipped this.
Pretty sure its just software as the sound plays through the speakers. It just doesn't feel like something they would include in a pickup

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is a thing? In California? Sounds absolutely horrible. I would hate that. Either way. Inside or out. What an awful idea.
The exterior pedestrian noise is a federal NHTSA requirement for EVs and Hybrids that went into effect last year or so.

Amakrida

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The exterior pedestrian noise is a federal NHTSA requirement for EVs and Hybrids that went into effect last year or so.
It's nice to know we've solved every other issue in our country that this made it through. Seems silly. If you're a cyclist you should be aware that hybrids and EVs are becoming more and more commonplace and be even more vigilant. If you drive a EV or hybrid you should be aware that people may not know you're there and act accordingly. Seems like people being more aware of your surroundings and personal responsibility should take care of this, without all of us driving ice cream trucks around. IMO. No hate to the blind, I trust the seeing eye dog 🦮 more than most people anyways. Love a working dog.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I thought there was some governmental requirement that an EV or Hybrid had to make noise if some kind when the vehicle was in motion, externally, while running electrically. Someone please correct me if I understood that incorrectly.
You are correct. I believe it is only at low speeds like in a parking lot or surface streets.

Sponsored

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's good that quiet cars make some exterior sounds when moving slowly, to prevent them from "sneaking" up on pedestrians in garages, etc. But motor sounds inside the cabin are NOT my cup of tea.

Last edited:

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
+1
All EV/hybrid cars have to make noise at low speed. That's fairly new NHTSA requirement.

Engine sound in the cockpit is old news, and you like it.
https://www.caranddriver.com/featur...engine-sound-enhancement-explained-tech-dept/
"... To give the driver a better feel for the engine, an exterior recording of the M5’s motor plays through the car’s stereo. "

A car can be too quiet. Our 2013 C-Max had both noise cancelling and engine enhancement. The Escape Hybrid has the latter, and it seems related to throttle change rate. It has a numeric power display, and I quickly noticed that engine sound wasn't related directly to power output. 25kW is fairly quiet, unless you were cruising at 10kW and just punched it a little (25kW isn't much power). Then it growls. It's the steady drome of a stationary engine, but much louder, and somewhat reassuring, given your throttle foot just asked for some giddy-up.

Sponsored

Pirategrad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Clem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
+1
All EV/hybrid cars have to make noise at low speed. That's fairly new NHTSA requirement.

Engine sound in the cockpit is old news, and you like it.
https://www.caranddriver.com/featur...engine-sound-enhancement-explained-tech-dept/
"... To give the driver a better feel for the engine, an exterior recording of the M5’s motor plays through the car’s stereo. "

A car can be too quiet. Our 2013 C-Max had both noise cancelling and engine enhancement. The Escape Hybrid has the latter, and it seems related to throttle change rate. It has a numeric power display, and I quickly noticed that engine sound wasn't related directly to power output. 25kW is fairly quiet, unless you were cruising at 10kW and just punched it a little (25kW isn't much power). Then it growls. It's the steady drome of a stationary engine, but much louder, and somewhat reassuring, given your throttle foot just asked for some giddy-up.
My wife’s Lexus UX 200h makes noise when backing up. It’s pretty loud and my neighbor commented to me that he thought there was something wrong with the car’s reverse gear. That’s when I checked into it and found out it was a federal requirement for EVs and hybrids. Make sense and I don’t think its necessarily a bad thing. As a cyclist, I can’t turn my head around to see if a vehicle is coming up on my when I’m riding unless its loud. Other times, its scary that some will sneak up on you before you realize it. I use a Garmin Varia radar that tells me via my cycling computer of vehicles approaching from behind. Sorry for digressing a bit.

technolithic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
It's nice to know we've solved every other issue in our country that this made it through. Seems silly. If you're a cyclist you should be aware that hybrids and EVs are becoming more and more commonplace and be even more vigilant. If you drive a EV or hybrid you should be aware that people may not know you're there and act accordingly. Seems like people being more aware of your surroundings and personal responsibility should take care of this, without all of us driving ice cream trucks around. IMO. No hate to the blind, I trust the seeing eye dog 🦮 more than most people anyways. Love a working dog.
Ok. Let’s get rid of airbags and seat belts while we’re at it. You know, personal responsibility and all that

technolithic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
My wife’s Lexus UX 200h makes noise when backing up. It’s pretty loud and my neighbor commented to me that he thought there was something wrong with the car’s reverse gear. That’s when I checked into it and found out it was a federal requirement for EVs and hybrids. Make sense and I don’t think its necessarily a bad thing. As a cyclist, I can’t turn my head around to see if a vehicle is coming up on my when I’m riding unless its loud. Other times, its scary that some will sneak up on you before you realize it. I use a Garmin Varia radar that tells me via my cycling computer of vehicles approaching from behind. Sorry for digressing a bit.
Same here. I don’t have a Garmin computer but I’ve been looking at one of those Garmin radars for a while now. People drive like madmen so it’s best to hear/know people are coming

LCuster380

First Name
Lori
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I thought there was some governmental requirement that an EV or Hybrid had to make noise if some kind when the vehicle was in motion, externally, while running electrically. Someone please correct me if I understood that incorrectly.
My 2021 Prius has no noise when running forward in the "electric" mode. Kind of scary...but nice. I like quiet!

Pirategrad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Clem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Same here. I don’t have a Garmin computer but I’ve been looking at one of those Garmin radars for a while now. People drive like madmen so it’s best to hear/know people are coming
Though nothing is guaranteed, I feel a lot better with the Varia with some piece of mind! I have a Garmin and now a Karoo 2 but there’s also a unit that only reports the radar. My wife used that before she got a computer and it worked well.
Ford Maverick Fake engine and hybrid exterior sound in Maverick hybrid 2.5L? 1626820285345
Sponsored