Extang Xceed hard folding tonneau

BootXL76

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
Anybody know anything about this particular model from xtang?

I’m currently waiting on a gator soft tri fold, but I originally wanted a seemless hard fold.

AutoAnything currently has it for $999 and you can get a 10% off code sent to your email. $899 seems like a solid deal (but I’d be waiting even longer than I will be on the gator).

question I’m asking myself, do I order it and cancel the gator, or it and still get the gator (to sell or whatever), or just stick with the gator 😔
Sponsored

Last edited:

Gullzway

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Mustang Fastback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Great, now I have another cover to consider when I was just leaning towards the Undercover Armor Flex.
This one looks nice and has a 5 year warranty. The lock mechanism seems more tamper proof as well. There was an email sign up for 15% off code, but when trying to apply in cart it doesn't work. It says " Due to manufacturer restrictions, discounts do not apply " So looks like $999 plus around $85 tax.

Thanks!

OP
OP
BootXL76

BootXL76

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
Great, now I have another cover to consider when I was just leaning towards the Undercover Armor Flex.
This one looks nice and has a 5 year warranty. The lock mechanism seems more tamper proof as well. There was an email sign up for 15% off code, but when trying to apply in cart it doesn't work. It says " Due to manufacturer restrictions, discounts do not apply " So looks like $999 plus around $85 tax.

Thanks!
Try tonneau covered…. They sent me an email with an offer for $899 (I personally wouldn’t pay full price, but I like $899 (especially cuz I have no sales tax). I went ahead and ordered it and will figure out what to do with the gator once I’m there
But yeah I tried the 15% as well and didn’t work, but there was a 10% offer prior to that that did work. The undercover flex is a great choice too (but something about this one called my name)… hopefully it gets here by March 🤷🏼‍♂️
Ford Maverick Extang Xceed hard folding tonneau 7BFD1DE0-6F26-462F-8BD5-D8BDAD07459B

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There has got to be 300 or more bed cover choices. How does anyone decide? I was looking at the BAK 4s hard roll but need to find out if they allow for a rack to be installed. I like the hard folding ones but my wife doesn’t want to give up rear window visibility and some don’t allow racks. I wanted the Truxedo Sentry CT but you have to unlatch it to close the tailgate and I know I will screw that up.

Originally I was going to buy a cheap o gator cover but my wife hates the security of it. I can’t complain that my wife WANTS me to spend more
money on my truck. 😎 I think you have a good cover either way. Do you need to the xtra protection and water proofing? Are you sure you want a trifold (assuming the gator is a trifold)?

Thanks!
Try this site too. Use the chat option and request a quote. I asked if it was the lowest they would go and he offered another $20 off two items (rack and cover). I didn’t pull the trigger but I will likely order from them. They also don’t charge sales tax outside California. tonneaufactoryoutlet.com

Last edited:

Gullzway

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Mustang Fastback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Try this site too. Use the chat option and request a quote. I asked if it was the lowest they would go and he offered another $20 off two items (rack and cover). I didn’t pull the trigger but I will likely order from them. They also don’t charge sales tax outside California. tonneaufactoryoutlet.com
I keep going back to the Gator FX3 Hard Tri Fold. Realtruck quoted me that one for $685+tax. Looks like the same thing as the BAK Fibermax(same manufacturer most likely.) I like the FRP fiber panels, seems more durable in the long run. Thought about the hard rollups, but leery of the vinyl cracking/tearing after some time. I didn't like the idea of covering the window when fully up at first, but don't think I'll have it like that very often, and I can turn on my Rear view camera on my Jeemak 7" rear view mirror. Too many choices for sure.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BootXL76

BootXL76

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
There has got to be 300 or more bed cover choices. How does anyone decide? I was looking at the BAK 4s hard roll but need to find out if they allow for a rack to be installed. I like the hard folding ones but my wife doesn’t want to give up rear window visibility and some don’t allow racks. I wanted the Truxedo Sentry CT but you have to unlatch it to close the tailgate and I know I will screw that up.

Originally I was going to buy a cheap o gator cover but my wife hates the security of it. I can’t complain that my wife WANTS me to spend more
money on my truck. 😎 I think you have a good cover either way. Do you need to the xtra protection and water proofing? Are you sure you want a trifold (assuming the gator is a trifold)?

Deeeeefinitey too many choices…. When I found this one I searched and searched to see if anybody had talked about it (only found one post from a vendor that mentioned it but didn’t actually talk about it). That then took me on a trip going back through every option available just to make sure I wasn’t missing something cheaper that checked all the same boxes.

I wanted a retractable…. Can’t justify the cost or making the bed even smaller, so that took me to hardfolding (I don’t dislike the roll ups, but the tri- fold just fits what I need better). Love the idea of a cover and a rack, but likely won’t ever use it enough to again justify it. Soooo, something about seemless, lol pro, hard fold that you can open and close the tailgate while the cover is latched (I really like the idea of the latch knob too) as well as being able to open it against the window for a “full bed” if needed…. All of that was the appeal on this one for me (Also the fact it’s a 4 way fold which is supposed to leave a little more room when it’s flipped up)….

There does seem to be a couple quirks from the reviews I’ve found, but I found a few of the “I’ve had this kind, this kind, and that kind and I’ve found my new forever tonneau cover”

Last edited:

CSmith

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4, 2020 F150 XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I keep going back to the Gator FX3 Hard Tri Fold. Realtruck quoted me that one for $685+tax. Looks like the same thing as the BAK Fibermax(same manufacturer most likely.) I like the FRP fiber panels, seems more durable in the long run. Thought about the hard rollups, but leery of the vinyl cracking/tearing after some time. I didn't like the idea of covering the window when fully up at first, but don't think I'll have it like that very often, and I can turn on my Rear view camera on my Jeemak 7" rear view mirror. Too many choices for sure.
I had the Gator (FX I think) on my 2009 F150. I put the Bak G2 on my 2020 F150. The Gator lasted for the five years that I had my truck with no issues. I would not hesitate to buy another.

I like a flush mount so I have steered away from soft folding and the Extang Solid Fold but... I like how easy those soft folding covers and the Extang have no need for rails and can be removed in a snap.

Too many choices for sure but it all comes down to cost. That Gator FX3 you saw really interests me and especially for that price!

OP
OP
BootXL76

BootXL76

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
EDIT: I’m a moron and I confused the shipping motivations, when I saw one from truck hero I thought it was extang but it was a second notification for the gator. I didn’t actually receive this until sometime in March (can’t remember when, had it in the box for a few weeks). The following is completely wrong and both emails were for the gator.

I got the shipped email for the Xceed cover today and was stoked. Was about to go cancel the gator (soft fold) I had ordered weeks prior, but not two hours later I get the shipped notification for the gator too 🤦‍♂️. Welp, looks like I’ll be able to compare the two first hand 😹
The Xceed was shipped in 6 days from order date (from autoanything…. Also on the 10%, if you go to their page foe the product and hang out on the page, if you scroll down eventually a “10% secret savings on this product” will pop up, and you just click that and it emails you a code)

Last edited:

stick

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep wrangler 4xe; 13 vw gli; 21 maverick xlt
I got the shipped email for the Xceed cover today and was stoked. Was about to go cancel the gator (soft fold) I had ordered weeks prior, but not two hours later I get the shipped notification foe the gator too 🤦‍♂️. Welp, looks like I’ll be able to compare the two first hand 😹
The Xceed was shipped in 6 days from order date (from autoanything…. Also on the 10%, if you go to their page foe the product and hang out on the page, if you scroll down eventually a “10% secret savings on this product” will pop up, and you just click that and it emails you a code)
did you like the xceed? I ordered one and curious on tips / likes or dislikes

Sponsored
OP
OP
BootXL76

BootXL76

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
did you like the xceed? I ordered one and curious on tips / likes or dislikes
Tbh I’m still trying to figure out if I like or love it. It was relatively easy to install, the fit is pretty much perfect and it does pretty much everything I was hoping it would. One of my biggest gripes with the gator SFX wasn’t so much that it wouldn’t open all the way, it was you only have open and all the way closed. There were a few times I found myself wishing I could latch it on the 2nd fold (leaving only one section open).

Here’s my best effort at an objective summary without having enough time with it yet to “review”

with the Xceed, each section latches. That alone makes me happy with it.

Now part of the problem is I installed it then was gone a few days, and haven’t had a chance to really “use” it since installing.

Things I’m not sure how I feel about yet (not negatives, just literally things I need to have time with):
- it’s not quite as seamless as I expected, you can see the folds in it (won’t be an issue, just a thing)

- While it’s a hard cover, the top is softish like vinyl. I knew this going in, again, not a negative, just kinda went “hmmmm” after I felt the texture. Going to keep it steadily treated with 303, I have a feeling I’ll actually end up liking the soft texture)

- Not quite as flat as I hoped, but the pics and reviews I’d seen it’s no higher than I thought it would be EXCEPT when it’s folded twice, it sits pretty high (but likely the position I’ll use the least, so just more an observation)

- The latch system is great, but I thought the single latch was in the middle, it’s more on the driver side, which actually may end up as a positive.

- The subsequent latches have a pull cable on each side, the videos I’ve seen you can pull one sides and it engages both. I assume that’s how it will function, but when I was first testing it I found myself having to pull both (which would be an issue on the latches as you get closer to the bulkhead). Now I was gingerly with it, because I wasn’t 100% sure I was pulling the right spot. I am now and I think I just need to give it more power when I pull.

I’m back home and plan to take some pictures in the light tomorrow, will get some experience with it this weekend and it’s supposed to rain tomorrow (so I’ll get to see how it does in the rain)

I’ll post pics tomorrow and try to give it a proper review after figuring out the things I mentioned above.

Last edited:
Reactions: JJC
OP
OP
BootXL76

BootXL76

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
Here’s a few pics of what it looks like:
Ford Maverick Extang Xceed hard folding tonneau 47F75513-7328-4157-B20C-ECAF6FFE0D0A
Ford Maverick Extang Xceed hard folding tonneau 2BBBE91A-B257-4C42-931E-70FF97C063F9
Ford Maverick Extang Xceed hard folding tonneau 78E00138-91E5-4867-8AEE-6C9A3A063FF5

More commentary: I was wrong about the second position, it latches, but without a strap holding it you couldn’t drive at any real speed with just the back section open. That said, you could come up with a strap/clip extension and make it work if you absolutely needed to. On the below, the driver side strap I have flipped up to show how you’d extend off it (if you wanted). The one on the passenger side is clipped into the secondary buckle so it doesn’t hang down.
Ford Maverick Extang Xceed hard folding tonneau 146EF980-BABA-4899-8111-04BDDBA37DC7

Below is what it looks like folded open:
Ford Maverick Extang Xceed hard folding tonneau 94F8242E-05D7-4B98-9666-9B81CE658B91

Closed at the tailgate:
Ford Maverick Extang Xceed hard folding tonneau B93F83C6-CF14-448E-BAE9-5732F0E680A5

Open with straps and to show how it sits against the back of the cab:
Ford Maverick Extang Xceed hard folding tonneau 043CFDE0-0E4F-46D3-955C-938DC4B7F134

Ford Maverick Extang Xceed hard folding tonneau 24DDD930-0EDC-4ED1-93B7-0A72EA3DB45B
Ford Maverick Extang Xceed hard folding tonneau B3274C99-A257-4020-9D15-D67E2ED8556B

Pics of camps and attachment pieces, etc:
Ford Maverick Extang Xceed hard folding tonneau 2298F2D2-F742-4501-B2B9-6EC6C6358DD0
Ford Maverick Extang Xceed hard folding tonneau 5D7C217E-FA70-4BE7-986A-C2B11DCD3F74

stick

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here’s a few pics of what it looks like:
47F75513-7328-4157-B20C-ECAF6FFE0D0A.jpeg
2BBBE91A-B257-4C42-931E-70FF97C063F9.jpeg
78E00138-91E5-4867-8AEE-6C9A3A063FF5.jpeg

More commentary: I was wrong about the second position, it latches, but without a strap holding it you couldn’t drive at any real speed with just the back section open. That said, you could come up with a strap/clip extension and make it work if you absolutely needed to. On the below, the driver side strap I have flipped up to show how you’d extend off it (if you wanted). The one on the passenger side is clipped into the secondary buckle so it doesn’t hang down.
146EF980-BABA-4899-8111-04BDDBA37DC7.jpeg

Below is what it looks like folded open:
94F8242E-05D7-4B98-9666-9B81CE658B91.jpeg

Closed at the tailgate:
B93F83C6-CF14-448E-BAE9-5732F0E680A5.jpeg

Open with straps and to show how it sits against the back of the cab:
043CFDE0-0E4F-46D3-955C-938DC4B7F134.jpeg

24DDD930-0EDC-4ED1-93B7-0A72EA3DB45B.jpeg
B3274C99-A257-4020-9D15-D67E2ED8556B.jpeg

Pics of camps and attachment pieces, etc:
2298F2D2-F742-4501-B2B9-6EC6C6358DD0.jpeg
5D7C217E-FA70-4BE7-986A-C2B11DCD3F74.jpeg
this is great! thanks for posting. I think this still looks like a winner, hopefully seals fairly well at the tailgate corners. I see you did the raised tailgate lettering as well - nice addition!

stick

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
got mine installed, loved it, and get positive comments, particularly when I was at the dealership. Sooo glad I took off the ford factory trifold and got this one instead. looks good and works well. Solid latches when closing, easy to manage. paired it with a xlt bedrug

GatorArchitect

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Hyundai Sonata, Ordered a 23 Maverick Hybrid
@BootXL76 & @stick, now that you've had the xceed for a few months, what are your thoughts? Are you still loving it? Have you found any issues with it?
Sponsored