First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Lariat, Lexus NX 300 Chrysler PT Cruiser 5 spd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I enjoyed reading your post. I agree regarding MPG, I just don't see any "conspiracy" there. I purchased a Lariat 2.0 EB while I wait for the hybrid Lariat I ordered in Sept. 2022 to come. Maybe it will be a 2024? I sold a bigger truck and don't regret it. The Mav does everything I need and is nicer to drive and leaves more space in my garage.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mach E CP

Mach E CP

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Conrad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav Hybrid Lariat, 2021 Mach E Prem ExtAWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I enjoyed reading your post. I agree regarding MPG, I just don't see any "conspiracy" there. I purchased a Lariat 2.0 EB while I wait for the hybrid Lariat I ordered in Sept. 2022 to come. Maybe it will be a 2024? I sold a bigger truck and don't regret it. The Mav does everything I need and is nicer to drive and leaves more space in my garage.
Thank you, glad you enjoyed the post. I completely agree on the sale of the big truck for this one. I had to fold in the mirrors in on the F150 (we sold it too) to shoehorn it into the single garage opening.

My sister-in-law just picked up a ā€˜23 EB fwd while she waits for an XLT hybrid. What are your fuel economy numbers with your 2.0 EB?

Oscarcat

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thank you, glad you enjoyed the post. I completely agree on the sale of the big truck for this one. I had to fold in the mirrors in on the F150 (we sold it too) to shoehorn it into the single garage opening.

My sister-in-law just picked up a ā€˜23 EB fwd while she waits for an XLT hybrid. What are your fuel economy numbers with your 2.0 EB?
Hi - Fuel economy from the display on the dash with my 2.0 EB FWD with 1600+ miles on the odometer is 28.2 mpg combined city and some SoCal freeway driving. When I drove it back from the dealer which was all freeway, it registered 31 mpg at freeway speeds of 65-70 mph, AC off. I drive with a light foot, slow down when the light turns red, didn't use cruise control on the freeway. I have the stop/start feature activated. I am using regular 87 octane fuel. It really meets my expectations for quiet and comfort and has all the bed utility I need. I carried 6' fence boards from the depot store utilizing the tailgate tilt feature achieved by snapping the cables to the upper position. I transported our mountain bikes 35 miles to a trail without taking off the front tires using the tailgate tilt and bungeed to the standard bed hooks and D rings. I added the soft-open tailgate strut kit and I had the bed sprayed at a local LineX dealer. The 2.0 EB is a peppy engine. If driven that way, of course, will increase fuel consumption. Regular 87 currently sells for $4.29 at Costco so I know I will sacrifice some pep for economy in the hybrid I ordered. My wife had a 2011 Prius hybrid so I am familiar with the way a hybrid functions. Although the eCVT transmission used in the Mav hybrid is far more advanced than the one in the 2011 Prius. I test drove an XL hybrid and it was a nice driving truck even without all the whistles and bells on the Lariat trim so I look forward to the hybrid I ordered. Hope this helps.

Oscarcat

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
P.S. Be sure your sister-in-law is aware that the mpg on the EPA window sticker is 40mpg city for the 2023 hybrid, down from 42 mpg city in 2022. Based on my experience with the aforementioned 2011 Prius and after reading posts to the effect that on the Mav, engagment of regenerative braking at low speed caused jerkiness, my guess is Ford recalibrated the regen to make it less agressive which also resulted in lowering mpg. I have not read that this is the case so I don't want to start unfounded rumors but less charge produced from capuring energy during braking means the gas engine is engaged longer to make up for the loss. However, I'll take 40 mpg any day especially in a trucklet.

OP
OP
Mach E CP

Mach E CP

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Conrad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
P.S. Be sure your sister-in-law is aware that the mpg on the EPA window sticker is 40mpg city for the 2023 hybrid, down from 42 mpg city in 2022. Based on my experience with the aforementioned 2011 Prius and after reading posts to the effect that on the Mav, engagment of regenerative braking at low speed caused jerkiness, my guess is Ford recalibrated the regen to make it less agressive which also resulted in lowering mpg. I have not read that this is the case so I don't want to start unfounded rumors but less charge produced from capuring energy during braking means the gas engine is engaged longer to make up for the loss. However, I'll take 40 mpg any day especially in a trucklet.
I saw that 2023 window sticker, and I was flummoxed! What youā€™re saying about tweaking the regenerative braking makes a lot of sense. Yes, Iā€™m sure she will also be fine with the 40 mpg. I donā€™t experience that jerkiness of the brakes very often, so Iā€™ll stick with my 42 mpg ā€˜22 lariat. Thanks for the cool info and explanation!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mach E CP

Mach E CP

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Conrad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
His Naugahyde comment reminded me of a Xmas toy I got when I was 9...
The Uniroyal Nauga.....
1674440962061.png
Stop the senseless slaughter of Naugas. Boycott Naugahyde

OP
OP
Mach E CP

Mach E CP

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Conrad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Big Turtle

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
IMG-0424.jpg

I've driven our 2022 Maverick Hybrid Lariat for one full year now! 'RICKY' and I have been through the entire four seasons of Michigan. Temps here reached 0 F in December, and the upper 90's F in July, so Ricky has experienced the full gamut of temps and weather! Never got stuck in the snow, but I've also never had a problem with any FWD vehicle in snow.

I'm happy to report the trip odometer shows 40.8 mpg from one year and 29,276.2 miles (Mav trip odometers have only four numbers left of the decimal). I drove about 50% hwy and 50% city driving during this one year stretch. That mpg number, and the value of this truck well exceed my expectations!

IMG-1987.jpg

At the start of my Mav ownership, I was driving 75-80% Hwy, but an MTC contributor convinced me to enjoy my driving experience more and take the side roads. I did make the change, and now I happily drive more city miles.

The bulk of the extra city miles come from a crosstown, Eastside-Westside route down 8-Mile Rd (yes Eminem fans, it's the same 8-Mile). What a great choice to drive more city miles! Adaptive cruise at 42 mph, lane centering, and no more white-knuckled driving on six (or more) lane freeway stretches in rush hour. 42 mph seems to be a sweet spot speed where Ricky makes more electric miles, without aggravating faster drivers around me.

On the highway, I set the adaptive cruise to 70 mph, unless I have to pass a semitruck or a Prius. I have no problems passing with the 191 combined horses.

I love the engine sound, acceleration, and smoothness. The cornering and manueverability are very car like. My bags and papers don't fly around in the back seat when I take a turn. This was a problem with the F150 Ricky replaced. Entry into our single-door garage space is sooo easy! I zoom in with a 3-point turn. Ricky is much easier to garage park as compared to the Ford Fusion Hybrid which Ricky also replaced.

Some MTC contributors comment on the low-speed brake grab of the Hybrid models. I do rarely experience that brake grab. Recently, I wondered if I disengage the BRAKE HOLD feature with the button below the shifter, would I ever experience that brake grab? Any thoughts Hybrid Mav owners? I love the brake hold feature, so I'm unwilling to drive without it.

There are several MTC contributors who are goofy about the dash mpg readings. It's like they're conspiracy theorists, surmising that the auto companies purposely deceive customers (likely not true, except in the past by a few VW diesel engineers - google 'dieselgate'). These contributors refer to the dash mpg readout as "the lie meter." Hogwash. Halfway through my ownership, I decided to track every drop of fuel and make the comparison. The data below is only for 7 continuous months, but I don't think the engineers and auto companies are out to get one over on us. This stretch from late June warm weather and through mid January cold weather comes in at 39.9 mpg. That's a 2.2% difference as compared the 40.8 on the trip odo. It's a very acceptable variance IMO. Once I hit a full 12 months of this fuel data, I'll post an update. Ricky has two more months of winter driving and three more months of spring driving to get a full 12 months of at-the-pump numbers. I expect that 2.2% difference will tighten up to a smaller number with the spring weather and the warm weather of first three weeks of June.

7MonthsAtPumpMavHybridFE.jpg

Ricky's naugahyde ActiveX seats are pretty comfortable, but I get a little sweaty on my lower back at times. Having a power lumbar support is way better than the last compact pickup we owned, a 1995 Ranger XLT with cloth seats. Those thin Ranger seats had no lumbar support.

At the New Year's Day Lions game, I was walking to Ford Field wondering "Did I lock Ricky?" I reached for my keyfob, pushed twice, and listened for the horn. Too far. Then I remembered the Ford Pass app (not Mav specific). I confidently locked Ricky remotely using my phone, and FordPass displayed the 'locked' confirmation. Love that Ford feature.

I haven't towed anything, but we've hauled lots of mulch, bags of pool salt, lawn equipment, etc. I love the placement of the hooks, the bed lights, and the weather-tight factory tonneau.

Our garage is 'messily' organized. I appreciate the utility of being able to park a truck in the garage, and conveniently remove groceries from the bed. With a car...what couldn't fit in the trunk, I struggled to remove from the back seat, and then navigate the obstacle course of our garage to get in the house.

The Lariat's sync system has been relatively trouble-free. The sound is great - better on mid-range than bass frequencies, but I like it. On probably four occasions over the past year it seemed like the sync info system was booting up while I was driving. I tried that two-key reset hack I learned here on the MTC, and it worked like a charm.

My phone rests on a magnetic mount, clamped to a vent, just above the passenger-side temperature control. I use a cord to connect to Apple CarPlay and to keep my phone charged. I thought about getting a wireless adapter for CarPlay, but I never use the Mav's magnetic induction charging pad. It charges too slowly or not at all if you have a case on your phone. I like the vent mount spot better than the cubby mount solution. The cubby mount interferes with the audio tuning knob, and I use that knob all the time to scroll satellite radio stations. Side note: the Mav's station tune/scroll knob is a MUCH FASTER method compared to the clumsy way of changing stations in our Mach E.

I'm coming up on Ricky's third oil change, and I get the tires rotated at those oil changes. The tires are holding up very well. With the Fusion, I'd hear some road noise and maybe some tire wobble at this mileage. This brings me to another fine advantage of Ricky vs our replaced Fusion Hybrid. Truck tires and wheels have always been less expensive, lasted longer, and driven smoother / quieter longer, as compared to the low-profile car tires/wheels of our Fusion Hybrid.

After one year, everything about our Maverick Hybrid continues to be as I hoped...value value value! A joy to drive, utility, quality, cost of ownership, mpg, features, longer lasting tires, low purchase price...lots of value. One year down, and onward to many more years of driving our Mav Ricky!
I greatly appreciate the info you shared. After reading your post I have concerns about my hybrid. I live in North Dakota where it is very cold and have 3,500 miles on my maverick. So far I am only getting an average of 28 mpg on the truck. Going down the interstate the other day I had the cruise set at 75 mph and I was only getting 25 mpg.
I understand why I donā€™t get good city mpg when itā€™s 0 degrees and I only drive 5 miles at a time but the highway mpg has me wondering if there is something wrong?
i am looking for any information anyone can share with me about there expertise in cold weather. North Dakota has an average high temp around 20 degrees while also having many days that the high is below zero.
And I do drive very conservatively and will even drive without heat sometimes to improve the fuel economy in town:).
I attached images of my trip computers and whether. thank you for your help.

Ford Maverick Expectations Met?  A 4-Season, 29K Mile, 1-Year Maverick Hybrid Owner's Review (40.8 mpg) 2E956463-199C-40D9-B962-ADBE77C37408

Ford Maverick Expectations Met?  A 4-Season, 29K Mile, 1-Year Maverick Hybrid Owner's Review (40.8 mpg) 64CA2A9F-07C8-47B1-A807-75FC7E25CDB3

Last edited:
Sponsored
OP
OP
Mach E CP

Mach E CP

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Conrad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I greatly appreciate the info you shared. After reading your post I have concerns about my hybrid. I live in North Dakota where it is very cold and have 3,500 miles on my maverick. So far I am only getting an average of 28 mpg on the truck. Going down the interstate the other day I had the cruise set at 75 mph and I was only getting 25 mpg.
I understand why I donā€™t get good city mpg when itā€™s 0 degrees and I only drive 5 miles at a time but the highway mpg has me wondering if there is something wrong?
i am looking for any information anyone can share with me about there expertise in cold weather. North Dakota has an average high temp around 20 degrees while also having many days that the high is below zero.
And I do drive very conservatively and will even drive without heat sometimes to improve the fuel economy in town:).

2E956463-199C-40D9-B962-ADBE77C37408.jpeg

64CA2A9F-07C8-47B1-A807-75FC7E25CDB3.jpeg
Not to worry @Big Turtle ! Every ICE and Hybrid (which also has an ICE) gets worse fuel economy in cold weather. You probably never tracked the difference in any of your previous ICE cars/trucks.

Southern Michigan / Metro Detroit gets cold, but certainly not like your ND cold. We also took delivery of our Hybrid Mav in winter, and I had some early observations about fuel economy last year. Here's that post:

https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...hybrid-owner-fuel-economy-observations.10947/

Jumping to that temp data in the aforementioned post...

"So far, I can't wait for summer! Here's my crude 20% city / 80% hwy winter driving data:

single digit temps (0 to 9 Ā°F), ~29 to 30 mpg
'teens temps (10 to 19 Ā°F), ~32 to 33 mpg
twenties (20 to 29 Ā°F), ~34 to 36 mpg
thirties (30 to 39 Ā°F), ~36 to 37 mpg
highest temp day so far
(ranged from 48 to 55 Ā°F) ~39 mpg "

Note that I drive 70 mph on the freeway. If we look at your mostly highway number of 28.1 mpg driving in 0 F to low teens temps, your fuel economy is IN LINE with my data for someone who drives 75 mph on the highway. That's about 2 to 3 mpg lower than my numbers. If you drop down to 70 mph on the highway, you'll meet my numbers. The relationship between aerodynamic drag coefficient and speed is parabolic. Your Mav's aerodynamic drag increases significantly above 55 mph, and more so above 70 mph.

Right now in metro Detroit, it's hovering around 32 F. My tanks are averaging 37 to 38 mpg with a 50%/50% mix of city / hwy and only 70 mph on the hwy.

If you look at the at-the-pump data in this 1-yr, 29k review, on my 12/27 fill-up, I averaged 31.1 mpg. The temps were in the low teens, I drove 80% hwy on that tank, and the roads were very slushy (more drag/resistance). If I had driven 75 mph, no doubt that tank would likely been around 28 mpg.

ALSO...if you drive short distances, you'll get worse fuel economy, because you're driving your entire commute with a cold engine.

Our Mav is garaged. I never warm it up / idle it in advance of departure. I don't want to waste the fuel while idling. I usually drive distances which get it warm while I'm driving. I use the seat heater and steering wheel heater to stay warm while the ICE engine gets up to warmer temps.

Don't sweat it! When you hit warmer temps, you'll feel more Maverick Hybrid fuel economy joy! I hope this helps!

Last edited:

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Your experience is fairly typical. A hybrid in the cold weather takes a while to warm up the various fluids and the "drive" battery. The only real way to do this if you just get in and take off is for the ICE to run continuously. On a 5-minute trip, you're spending WAY too much time with the ICE running to achieve anything resembling "normal" mileage.

Highway mpg is massively impacted by speed... The EPA estimate of 33 mpg highway is NOT achieved cruising at 75 mph. Slowing down 5 or 10 mph has a huge impact on your mpg... I've posted this before, but here's a chart showing Maverick hybrid mpg driving over the exact same stretch of Texas freeway at different speeds. Note that reducing your speed by 10 mph will increase your fuel mileage by roughly 28%, until you get below 60 mph, where the aerodynamic losses aren't quite as severe. But even slowing from 60 to 50 provides almost 17% improvement in mpg.

SpeedMPGImprovement
8028.3N/A
7036.2~ 28 %
6045.9~ 62 %
5053.6~ 89 %

Even after the system is all warmed up, cold weather decreases mileage by as much as 20%. So if I was driving at 75 mph in warm weather, I might expect roughly 32 mpg. That's slightly less than the EPA guidelines, but their tests are not done at 75 mph, either...

Now subtract 20% for the cold temperatures, and I would expect to see roughly 25.8 mpg driving 75 mph in sub-zero weather. And that's pretty darn close to what you're seeing.

To maximize mpg, slow down on the highway. Personally, I like the fact that I can decide whether I want to cruise at 75 and still get pretty stellar gas mileage (for a truck!), or slow down (maybe even drive some back roads that are much more interesting and fun) and achieve really stellar gas mileage. It's the ultimate "pay to play" option!

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

2E956463-199C-40D9-B962-ADBE77C37408.jpeg

64CA2A9F-07C8-47B1-A807-75FC7E25CDB3.jpeg
In Minnesota, similar circumstances. Three big things that affect cold weather mileage. First, the truck senses temperature and runs the gas engine more to make heat available and make sure the oil is warm and circulating to prevent wear. Second, batteries are less efficient in the cold so the engine runs more often. Third, winter gas has more alcohol in the blend, and alcohol has less energy than gasoline, so mileage suffers. I averaged 39-42 mpg in the summer and am averaging 28-30 in the winter. Iā€™ll take it because itā€™s still way above what a similar Ford Ranger of a few years ago would get.

MavPat5

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav Hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I got my '22 Hybrid XL in March '22, and I have had similar experiences but of course not as many options in mine so I can't speak for the upgraded sound system/seats, etc. It has 17k miles on it.
I have used it like a truck for most of these 10 months, including a dozen times with firewood. I have out at least 1000# in the bed on a couple of occasions, and the ride is slightly affected but not too bad on the "butt wiggle."

I have the tow package (2k#limit) but only used it twice so far. Nothing close to more than 500#.

My daily drive to work is nearly 23 miles each way, and is a 60/40 mix of suburban and highway driving.
I have averaged between 42.1 and 50.6 for these 10 months. Spring and fall have the highest average, with summer in the middle and winter at the bottome. Only one very cold week here in SE Pa with a warmer than average winter overall so far.
My work trip is usually 48-54 mpg, with about 40-50% electric usage.

No troubles, except the recalls.

I replaced the stock steel rims (7" wide) and 225/65/17 tires with a nice set of 17x8 wheels on 255/60/17 Kumho Dynapro HP2 tires.
Ford Maverick Expectations Met?  A 4-Season, 29K Mile, 1-Year Maverick Hybrid Owner's Review (40.8 mpg) 1000000162
Widest I could get without rubbing. No real difference in mpg (less than 0.5 anyway).

Possibly my best purchase of a vehicle in a long time if she proves reliable.
Sponsored