First Name
Conrad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav Hybrid Lariat, 2021 Mach E Prem ExtAWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford Maverick Expectations Met?  A 4-Season, 29K Mile, 1-Year Maverick Hybrid Owner's Review (40.8 mpg) IMG-0424

I've driven our 2022 Maverick Hybrid Lariat for one full year now! 'RICKY' and I have been through the entire four seasons of Michigan. Temps here reached 0 F in December, and the upper 90's F in July, so Ricky has experienced the full gamut of temps and weather! Never got stuck in the snow, but I've also never had a problem with any FWD vehicle in snow.

I'm happy to report the trip odometer shows 40.8 mpg from one year and 29,276.2 miles (Mav trip odometers have only four numbers left of the decimal). I drove about 50% hwy and 50% city driving during this one year stretch. That mpg number, and the value of this truck well exceed my expectations!

Ford Maverick Expectations Met?  A 4-Season, 29K Mile, 1-Year Maverick Hybrid Owner's Review (40.8 mpg) IMG-1987

At the start of my Mav ownership, I was driving 75-80% Hwy, but an MTC contributor convinced me to enjoy my driving experience more and take the side roads. I did make the change, and now I happily drive more city miles.

The bulk of the extra city miles come from a crosstown, Eastside-Westside route down 8-Mile Rd (yes Eminem fans, it's the same 8-Mile). What a great choice to drive more city miles! Adaptive cruise at 42 mph, lane centering, and no more white-knuckled driving on six (or more) lane freeway stretches in rush hour. 42 mph seems to be a sweet spot speed where Ricky makes more electric miles, without aggravating faster drivers around me.

On the highway, I set the adaptive cruise to 70 mph, unless I have to pass a semitruck or a Prius. I have no problems passing with the 191 combined horses.

I love the engine sound, acceleration, and smoothness. The cornering and manueverability are very car like. My bags and papers don't fly around in the back seat when I take a turn. This was a problem with the F150 Ricky replaced. Entry into our single-door garage space is sooo easy! I zoom in with a 3-point turn. Ricky is much easier to garage park as compared to the Ford Fusion Hybrid which Ricky also replaced.

Some MTC contributors comment on the low-speed brake grab of the Hybrid models. I do rarely experience that brake grab. Recently, I wondered if I disengage the BRAKE HOLD feature with the button below the shifter, would I ever experience that brake grab? Any thoughts Hybrid Mav owners? I love the brake hold feature, so I'm unwilling to drive without it.

There are several MTC contributors who are goofy about the dash mpg readings. It's like they're conspiracy theorists, surmising that the auto companies purposely deceive customers (likely not true, except in the past by a few VW diesel engineers - google 'dieselgate'). These contributors refer to the dash mpg readout as "the lie meter." Hogwash. Halfway through my ownership, I decided to track every drop of fuel and make the comparison. The data below is only for 7 continuous months, but I don't think the engineers and auto companies are out to get one over on us. This stretch from late June warm weather and through mid January cold weather comes in at 39.9 mpg. That's a 2.2% difference as compared the 40.8 on the trip odo. It's a very acceptable variance IMO. Once I hit a full 12 months of this fuel data, I'll post an update. Ricky has two more months of winter driving and three more months of spring driving to get a full 12 months of at-the-pump numbers. I expect that 2.2% difference will tighten up to a smaller number with the spring weather and the warm weather of first three weeks of June.

Ford Maverick Expectations Met?  A 4-Season, 29K Mile, 1-Year Maverick Hybrid Owner's Review (40.8 mpg) 7MonthsAtPumpMavHybridFE

Ricky's naugahyde ActiveX seats are pretty comfortable, but I get a little sweaty on my lower back at times. Having a power lumbar support is way better than the last compact pickup we owned, a 1995 Ranger XLT with cloth seats. Those thin Ranger seats had no lumbar support.

At the New Year's Day Lions game, I was walking to Ford Field wondering "Did I lock Ricky?" I reached for my keyfob, pushed twice, and listened for the horn. Too far. Then I remembered the Ford Pass app (not Mav specific). I confidently locked Ricky remotely using my phone, and FordPass displayed the 'locked' confirmation. Love that Ford feature.

I haven't towed anything, but we've hauled lots of mulch, bags of pool salt, lawn equipment, etc. I love the placement of the hooks, the bed lights, and the weather-tight factory tonneau.

Our garage is 'messily' organized. I appreciate the utility of being able to park a truck in the garage, and conveniently remove groceries from the bed. With a car...what couldn't fit in the trunk, I struggled to remove from the back seat, and then navigate the obstacle course of our garage to get in the house.

The Lariat's sync system has been relatively trouble-free. The sound is great - better on mid-range than bass frequencies, but I like it. On probably four occasions over the past year it seemed like the sync info system was booting up while I was driving. I tried that two-key reset hack I learned here on the MTC, and it worked like a charm.

My phone rests on a magnetic mount, clamped to a vent, just above the passenger-side temperature control. I use a cord to connect to Apple CarPlay and to keep my phone charged. I thought about getting a wireless adapter for CarPlay, but I never use the Mav's magnetic induction charging pad. It charges too slowly or not at all if you have a case on your phone. I like the vent mount spot better than the cubby mount solution. The cubby mount interferes with the audio tuning knob, and I use that knob all the time to scroll satellite radio stations. Side note: the Mav's station tune/scroll knob is a MUCH FASTER method compared to the clumsy way of changing stations in our Mach E.

I'm coming up on Ricky's third oil change, and I get the tires rotated at those oil changes. The tires are holding up very well. With the Fusion, I'd hear some road noise and maybe some tire wobble at this mileage. This brings me to another fine advantage of Ricky vs our replaced Fusion Hybrid. Truck tires and wheels have always been less expensive, lasted longer, and driven smoother / quieter longer, as compared to the low-profile car tires/wheels of our Fusion Hybrid.

After one year, everything about our Maverick Hybrid continues to be as I hoped...value value value! A joy to drive, utility, quality, cost of ownership, mpg, features, longer lasting tires, low purchase price...lots of value. One year down, and onward to many more years of driving our Mav Ricky!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Randy H.

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick & Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
IMG-0424.jpg

I've driven our 2022 Maverick Hybrid Lariat for one full year now! 'RICKY' and I have been through the entire four seasons of Michigan. Temps here reached 0 F in December, and the upper 90's F in July, so Ricky has experienced the full gamut of temps and weather! Never got stuck in the snow, but I've also never had a problem with any FWD vehicle in snow.

I'm happy to report the trip odometer shows 40.8 mpg from one year and 29,276.2 miles (Mav trip odometers have only four numbers left of the decimal). I drove about 50% hwy and 50% city driving during this one year stretch. That mpg number, and the value of this truck well exceed my expectations!

IMG-1987.jpg

At the start of my Mav ownership, I was driving 75-80% Hwy, but an MTC contributor convinced me to enjoy my driving experience more and take the side roads. I did make the change, and now I happily drive more city miles.

The bulk of the extra city miles come from a crosstown, Eastside-Westside route down 8-Mile Rd (yes Eminem fans, it's the same 8-Mile). What a great choice to drive more city miles! Adaptive cruise at 42 mph, lane centering, and no more white-knuckled driving on six (or more) lane freeway stretches in rush hour. 42 mph seems to be a sweet spot speed where Ricky makes more electric miles, without aggravating faster drivers around me.

On the highway, I set the adaptive cruise to 70 mph, unless I have to pass a semitruck or a Prius. I have no problems passing with the 191 combined horses.

I love the engine sound, acceleration, and smoothness. The cornering and manueverability are very car like. My bags and papers don't fly around in the back seat when I take a turn. This was a problem with the F150 Ricky replaced. Entry into our single-door garage space is sooo easy! I zoom in with a 3-point turn. Ricky is much easier to garage park as compared to the Ford Fusion Hybrid which Ricky also replaced.

Some MTC contributors comment on the low-speed brake grab of the Hybrid models. I do rarely experience that brake grab. Recently, I wondered if I disengage the BRAKE HOLD feature with the button below the shifter, would I ever experience that brake grab? Any thoughts Hybrid Mav owners? I love the brake hold feature, so I'm unwilling to drive without it.

There are several MTC contributors who are goofy about the dash mpg readings. It's like they're conspiracy theorists, surmising that the auto companies purposely deceive customers (likely not true, except in the past by a few VW diesel engineers - google 'dieselgate'). These contributors refer to the dash mpg readout as "the lie meter." Hogwash. Halfway through my ownership, I decided to track every drop of fuel and make the comparison. The data below is only for 7 continuous months, but I don't think the engineers and auto companies are out to get one over on us. This stretch from late June warm weather and through mid January cold weather comes in at 39.9 mpg. That's a 2.2% difference as compared the 40.8 on the trip odo. It's a very acceptable variance IMO. Once I hit a full 12 months of this fuel data, I'll post an update. Ricky has two more months of winter driving and three more months of spring driving to get a full 12 months of at-the-pump numbers. I expect that 2.2% difference will tighten up to a smaller number with the spring weather and the warm weather of first three weeks of June.

7MonthsAtPumpMavHybridFE.jpg

Ricky's naugahyde ActiveX seats are pretty comfortable, but I get a little sweaty on my lower back at times. Having a power lumbar support is way better than the last compact pickup we owned, a 1995 Ranger XLT with cloth seats. Those thin Ranger seats had no lumbar support.

At the New Year's Day Lions game, I was walking to Ford Field wondering "Did I lock Ricky?" I reached for my keyfob, pushed twice, and listened for the horn. Too far. Then I remembered the Ford Pass app (not Mav specific). I confidently locked Ricky remotely using my phone, and FordPass displayed the 'locked' confirmation. Love that Ford feature.

I haven't towed anything, but we've hauled lots of mulch, bags of pool salt, lawn equipment, etc. I love the placement of the hooks, the bed lights, and the weather-tight factory tonneau.

Our garage is 'messily' organized. I appreciate the utility of being able to park a truck in the garage, and conveniently remove groceries from the bed. With a car...what couldn't fit in the trunk, I struggled to remove from the back seat, and then navigate the obstacle course of our garage to get in the house.

The Lariat's sync system has been relatively trouble-free. The sound is great - better on mid-range than bass frequencies, but I like it. On probably four occasions over the past year it seemed like the sync info system was booting up while I was driving. I tried that two-key reset hack I learned here on the MTC, and it worked like a charm.

My phone rests on a magnetic mount, clamped to a vent, just above the passenger-side temperature control. I use a cord to connect to Apple CarPlay and to keep my phone charged. I thought about getting a wireless adapter for CarPlay, but I never use the Mav's magnetic induction charging pad. It charges too slowly or not at all if you have a case on your phone. I like the vent mount spot better than the cubby mount solution. The cubby mount interferes with the audio tuning knob, and I use that knob all the time to scroll satellite radio stations. Side note: the Mav's station tune/scroll knob is a MUCH FASTER method compared to the clumsy way of changing stations in our Mach E.

I'm coming up on Ricky's third oil change, and I get the tires rotated at those oil changes. The tires are holding up very well. With the Fusion, I'd hear some road noise and maybe some tire wobble at this mileage. This brings me to another fine advantage of Ricky vs our replaced Fusion Hybrid. Truck tires and wheels have always been less expensive, lasted longer, and driven smoother / quieter longer, as compared to the low-profile car tires/wheels of our Fusion Hybrid.

After one year, everything about our Maverick Hybrid continues to be as I hoped...value value value! A joy to drive, utility, quality, cost of ownership, mpg, features, longer lasting tires, low purchase price...lots of value. One year down, and onward to many more years of driving our Mav Ricky!
Wow, I'm at 17K miles after 9 months (40.2 MPG avg) and thought I drive a lot; You drive your Maverick a lot....

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nice review with good info. I've only had my hybrid since October and only driven about 1,500 miles so not much experience and only in sub 40's (and colder!) temps. I'm getting around 34 mpg in almost all city driving. I'm hoping to see to 40mpg numbers once spring and warmer temps arrive.

IAMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vw jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Great write-up. It's good to know you did not have any problems with your hybrid during a Michigan winter. Was getting concerned how mine would do during the winter living in Iowa. Did not want to get the dreaded "deep sleep mode" Plan on getting a jump pack just in case

Sponsored

millertyme15

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Murano, Chrysler 200, Jeep Wrangler
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
IMG-0424.jpg

IMG-1987.jpg

Great review....Do you have the original factory tires still on your truck?? Are they the Continentals? That is a lot of miles on factory tires. I have Continentals, and don't think I will get near 30K miles on them, plus I do not like the tread depth.

Raymundo76

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

IMG-0424.jpg

IMG-1987.jpg

Good on you for sharing. Really appreciate the time you spent. It is nice to see a positive outcome. LOL

OP
OP
Mach E CP

Mach E CP

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Conrad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Great review....Do you have the original factory tires still on your truck?? Are they the Continentals? That is a lot of miles on factory tires. I have Continentals, and don't think I will get near 30K miles on them, plus I do not like the tread depth.
Michelins...our Lariat Hybrid came standard with 18" Michelin tires. We usually get at least 50,000 miles from Michelin truck tires.

mcgarveyjb

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XLT W/Lux and spray in
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
IMG-0424.jpg

IMG-1987.jpg

Almost the identical experience here in Wisconsin 19K in 9 months. Still loving our Electro Glide in Blue :)

OP
OP
Mach E CP

Mach E CP

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Conrad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sponsored

Montevilla

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cactus Gray Maverick XL Hybrid w/moonroof
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is the stuff that should be trending. Thanks!

UpNorthBuckeye

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Expedtn, 17PriusV,22 Mavrk XLT hybridHPR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Michelins...our Lariat Hybrid came standard with 18" Michelin tires. We usually get at least 50,000 miles from Michelin truck tires.
Mocky CP: what model Michelins do you have? I am about 70 miles from you in SE Mich, and have almost 15k miles on the OEM continentals.... am looking at different Michelin treads.
My mpg experience is about the same - my cumulative mileage is about 40.8 for the entire 8 months of driving, and yeah, I prefer the 55 to 63 mph cruising on the side roads to battling the crappy pavement on I94 or US23.
Good write up.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OP
OP
Mach E CP

Mach E CP

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Conrad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Mocky CP: what model Michelins do you have? I am about 70 miles from you in SE Mich, and have almost 15k miles on the OEM continentals.... am looking at different Michelin treads.
My mpg experience is about the same - my cumulative mileage is about 40.8 for the entire 8 months of driving, and yeah, I prefer the 55 to 63 mph cruising on the side roads to battling the crappy pavement on I94 or US23.
Good write up.
@UpNorthBuckeye @jsus is correct. They are the Primacy A/S 225/60 R 18, but I will also add the speed rating spec, 100H.

Thank you for the compliment on the review!

TDazz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, Pilot, Blazer, Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Great review! That 8 mile commute is a real MPG saver for me as well.
Sponsored