2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Damn - nice low sales tax!!
Aye, North Carolina has a 3% vehicle sales tax called a "highway use tax". Normal sales tax is ~7% I believe.
Sponsored

NotAnonymous

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Gotcha...yeah, 7% sales tax here, so definitely jealous. LOL

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
here in CO, you don't pay the sales tax registration fees & local taxes as part of your car purchase at the dealer. After purchase they give you a temporary paper plate good for 30 days. Then you have to go to DMV and pay the the title, taxes and doc fees, etc. Shitty part is the state charges you a "personal property" tax which is always based on original MSRP- even if you paid less than MSRP or are registering a used vehicle. We also have road & bridges "safety surcharge"fee, weight fee, State patrol fee, tag fee, DMV employee fee, older vehicle tax, county or city sales tax added on :mad: Was quite a shock when I moved from CA and registered my then 4 years old Grand Cherokee they charged me tax based on MSRP, even though I provided the original sales contract showing lower price paid. Got me again when I bought a newly built trailer out of state with discounted price and they still charged me based on original MSRP. One reason I try to buy lower cost vehicles now whenever possible.

Last edited:

balucipher

First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tesla Model Y
ouch those taxes

FL its 6% and some counties (including mine) include a 1% tax on the first $5000. Then $32.50/yr to keep it registered, no smog

Sponsored

NotAnonymous

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

isellford

First Name
ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
Dealer prep is a rip. i have been selling Ford trucks for 40 years, never above MSRP or inflating add ons. normally at or just a tad above invoice less incentives for ordered units

isellford

First Name
ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
i've been selling Ford trucks for 40 years; never above MSDRP and no dealer add ons. usuall for a retail order; invocie or just a tad above less any applicable incentives

jwiedle24

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat w/Luxury Pkg
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
here in CO, you don't pay the sales tax as part of your car purchase at the dealer. After purchase they give you a temporary paper plate good for 30 days. Then you have to go to DMV and pay the the taxes and doc fees, etc. Shitty part is the state charges you a "personal property" tax which is always based on original MSRP- even if you paid less than MSRP or are registering a used vehicle. We also have road and bridges fee, weight fee, State patrol fee, tag fee, DMV employee fee, county or city sales tax added on :mad: Was quite a shock when I moved from CA and registered my then 4 years old Grand Cherokee they charged me tax based on MSRP, even though I provided the original sales contract showing lower price paid. Got me again when I bought a newly built trailer out of state with discounted price and they still charged me based on original MSRP. One reason I try to buy lower cost vehicles now whenever possible.
That is theft! Taxes on MSRP instead of purchase price, WTF!

PapaNer

First Name
Ner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hyundai Veloster 2.0 Premium
Dealer fee was $499 for me. MSRP + Shipping/Tax I came out right above $25k for a base XLT.

Sponsored

Pickles

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia rio, kia sorento
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've run thru the Build and Price and have my configuration price, taxes in. Next up is to actually order at the dealership... what if anything could/will be added to that price? ie. "dealer prep" charges etc. Every dealer is a bit different, but their goal is to max profit. No, I do NOT want the undercoating. :)

I am willing to push in negotation, although this is the part of car buying I loathe......
My price ended up being within a dollar/payment of the build and price estimate. Dealer gave me a 350 dollar discount to cover their normal fees so it turned into a wash. Though… you cant order right now anyways right? Not for a maverick. Maybe i misunderstood your post

Pickles

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia rio, kia sorento
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
On the Canadian site, Total Fees on the Build & Price is $2050 (it is detailed as $100 AC $1950 Freight fee $0 Green Levy). Lots of opportunity to sandbag as there is this buried in the fine print, under disclosures;

"MSRP is the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price only and excludes options, freight, AC Tax, Green Levy (if applicable), license, fueling charge (if applicable), insurance, dealer PDI, PPSA (if financed or leased. PPSA not applicable in Quebec), RDPRM registration and related fees up to $52 (only in Quebec, if financed or leased), administration fees (except in Quebec), and taxes. Dealers may sell or lease for less. See your local dealer for details."

It would be nice to just be able to order with a fixed dealer profit and no negotiation. It seems some dealers have caught on to this (the ones here that are doing straight 3% under MSRP).
You paid the 2k fee right? It became clear to me there was no avoiding it in my order lol if its estimated into their build and price website… its not like theyre trying to hide it lol

paneubert

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL/4K/AWD/CoPilot/CactusG/SlidingRearWindow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My price ended up being within a dollar/payment of the build and price estimate. Dealer gave me a 350 dollar discount to cover their normal fees so it turned into a wash. Though… you cant order right now anyways right? Not for a maverick. Maybe i misunderstood your post
The post you replied to was from June of 2021.

OP
OP

Catmandu

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You paid the 2k fee right? It became clear to me there was no avoiding it in my order lol if its estimated into their build and price website… its not like theyre trying to hide it lol
Yes... that $2k part was non-negotiable. But the dealer was reasonable with the rest... I think it was a couple hundred $ for other fees (fuel, licencing etc)

JakRussll

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid & 2023 HD Duramax
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You can see it that way but then I'm tied with them for the purchase of the Maverick. The way I did it I'm not tied with them, have an extra 4K and can say no whenever it arrives. But good observation.
Agree. My dealer wants my trade bad. He offered me $4,000 less than I paid in 2017. I placed the order for the Maverick and told him that he will get first crack at my current ride but not now. When the Mav comes in I will consider his offer and then, if I like it, roll it into a trade which would get me the sales tax break. If not, it is an easy truck to move.
Sponsored