Catmandu

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've run thru the Build and Price and have my configuration price, taxes in. Next up is to actually order at the dealership... what if anything could/will be added to that price? ie. "dealer prep" charges etc. Every dealer is a bit different, but their goal is to max profit. No, I do NOT want the undercoating. :)

I am willing to push in negotation, although this is the part of car buying I loathe......
Sponsored

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I got $890 in dealer prep and $500 off MSRP+shipping.

OP
OP

Catmandu

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Cheers! This is helpful, dealer prep should be similar. I'm likely going to get the XL with a few options (co-pilot + some other options). They probably don't have much to negotiate on the options but should have wiggle room on the holdback part of the vehicle MSRP.

Lappo424

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord - Looking to switch to Maverick XL
I got invoice plus 3 percent off on an xl. I got pretty bare bones. Only option I got was the plug in the cab which I'll probably never use.

I'm at 20594 with destination.

Pairof98s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ram 1500, 2020 4Runner
I did some math on it before and my XLT FX4 Luxury build with an MSRP of $30,940 would invoice at around $30,300. 3% under invoice would be maybe $1500 off MSRP. Dealer had $1000 incentive they can apply to my deal and gets me under my target price of $30k. In this environment, dealers are adding $5000 to Bronco Sports on the lot and even more to F-150s. Even if I pay MSRP, I don’t think it is a bad deal. Once dealer stock arrives later in the year, dealers will almost certainly be inflating the prices. I’m not going out of state to save $500, when I will likely need local warranty service on a née model.

Sponsored

rob804

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I pre-ordered. Paid MSRP + $899 in a dealership processing fee (dealer profit fee). In the area that I live they're not taking anything off MSRP. I'm still happy with the pre-order. XLT+ 360 package + Tow Package + FX4 package + XLT Luxury Package + All Weather Mats + Rear view Sliding Sindow = $34830 (MSRP + Taxes + Dealer Fee + Tag/License). Side note: they paid off my car and gave me $4000 extra cash. Cars are selling like hotcakes.

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I pre-ordered. Paid MSRP + $899 in a dealership processing fee (dealer profit fee). In the area that I live they're not taking anything off MSRP. I'm still happy with the pre-order. XLT+ 360 package + Tow Package + FX4 package + XLT Luxury Package + All Weather Mats + Rear view Sliding Sindow = $34830 (MSRP + Taxes + Dealer Fee + Tag/License). Side note: they paid off my car and gave me $4000 extra cash. Cars are selling like hotcakes.
Does that mean you already traded your car in and completed the transaction, or did you prep some sort of agreement for when the sale does occur? I think an advance deal sounds kind of nice - I'll be trading in my Ranger...right now Carvana is offering me $3,500 more than I paid for it in Dec 2019! Makes the maverick a no brainer when my better half won't even consider driving the Ranger, and we are planning to go down to 1 vehicle (...which will NOT be her Fiat!).

Lappo424

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord - Looking to switch to Maverick XL
Does that mean you already traded your car in and completed the transaction, or did you prep some sort of agreement for when the sale does occur? I think an advance deal sounds kind of nice - I'll be trading in my Ranger...right now Carvana is offering me $3,500 more than I paid for it in Dec 2019! Makes the maverick a no brainer when my better half won't even consider driving the Ranger, and we are planning to go down to 1 vehicle (...which will NOT be her Fiat!).
Take the money and run. The values they are giving us for our cars will not last forever. Remember, a car is a deprecating asset. Inventories will catch up.

rob804

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
We treated them both as separate transactions as I did not talked about my car until the end. Right now I have $4000 in my pocket which I'll use as part of the down payment. I was selling my car to Carmax but the Ford dealership offered me the same lol. I sold it to them as I'm doing business with them.

jwiedle24

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat w/Luxury Pkg
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We treated them both as separate transactions as I did not talked about my car until the end. Right now I have $4000 in my pocket which I'll use as part of the down payment. I was selling my car to Carmax but the Ford dealership offered me the same lol. I sold it to them as I'm doing business with them.
you probably shouldn’t have done separate transactions…but instead traded-in so you could have benefited with tax breaks on the trade

Sponsored

rob804

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
you probably shouldn’t have done separate transactions…but instead traded-in so you could have benefited with tax breaks on the trade
You can see it that way but then I'm tied with them for the purchase of the Maverick. The way I did it I'm not tied with them, have an extra 4K and can say no whenever it arrives. But good observation.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There shouldn't be any dealer prep, you are paying $1495 for destination and delivery.

NorthShoreMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Getting a quote on an XLT 2.0 Ecoboost AWD with XLT luxury package, full size spare, floor liners, tonneau soft cover alto blue paint and Ford co Pilot 360 of $33,995.86 with tax and $75 dealers fee and $10 NYS inspection fee included. Good deal? Sitting around msrp it’s looks like before any incentives. I do have the first responder discount of $500 to use as well. I’m hearing prices may go up once next quarter hits and these hit the dealerships. Just want to make sure this is way to go!? Thx

OP
OP

Catmandu

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There shouldn't be any dealer prep, you are paying $1495 for destination and delivery.
On the Canadian site, Total Fees on the Build & Price is $2050 (it is detailed as $100 AC $1950 Freight fee $0 Green Levy). Lots of opportunity to sandbag as there is this buried in the fine print, under disclosures;

"MSRP is the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price only and excludes options, freight, AC Tax, Green Levy (if applicable), license, fueling charge (if applicable), insurance, dealer PDI, PPSA (if financed or leased. PPSA not applicable in Quebec), RDPRM registration and related fees up to $52 (only in Quebec, if financed or leased), administration fees (except in Quebec), and taxes. Dealers may sell or lease for less. See your local dealer for details."

It would be nice to just be able to order with a fixed dealer profit and no negotiation. It seems some dealers have caught on to this (the ones here that are doing straight 3% under MSRP).

TooManyVehicles

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 F150 XLT, 21 BS Badlands, 22 Mav Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
i may be old school but there is NO WAY I would pay a $890 "dealer prep" fee. If you can't find a good deal, join the mustang club for $35, wait 90 day s and do an x-plan order. As part of x-plan, dealers are not allowed to add on this kind of fee.

It's a truck, not your first-born. As with anything, you need to be prepared to walk-away. Although many moons ago, I wanted to buy a 93/94 F-body Camaro/Firebird when they came out. I went to a variety of dealers and simply told them I wanted to factory order it, and I would give them $500 over invoice. I had the option list for the vehicle, and simply said it was easy-peasy for them - do the order, if it was fulfilled, they make some $ (and add to their sales for future allotments). If the order wasn't fulfilled, they weren't out anything.

Every dealer turned me down - but I had given them my number. After 3 days, the order rose from the dead (a dealer called me), and we had a deal.

It took six months for that order to be filled (Z-28, every option except for leather). When the car came in, the car was an incredibly hot seller, and they offered me $1500 to let them keep the car. (I didn't take it.)

I still own the Camaro.

I'm not trying to diss anyone here or put you down, but please don't be taken advantage of by dealers. Yes, you may want the truck badly, but Ford is going to make a ton of these!
Sponsored