First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I love it when the "no weight reduction" gets used from Mr. Buschur. "My truck has no weight reduction, but I did have my wife drive 45 minutes to the track to drive it so I could save 100lbs!" His truck is not the quickest or the fastest Maverick, he just uses a technicality to claim this.

Buschur's Mav has ran 13.2@102mph at the track with his wife driving to lose 100lbs.

I've ran 12.75@108mph with about 210lbs removed, and basically all the standard bolt ons.

Ivang79 has ran 12.88@106mph(he's dealing with a factory speed limiter currently) and this was full weight.

If you want to have a fast Maverick, it's the same formula as almost all turbo car builds. Intake, intercooler, tune(E30, 93, 91, 87 plenty of options), downpipe and Cat-back. Then the name of the game power to weight, IE: weight reduction. I get you don't want to go that far, just showing options....

After you master that, then it'll be turbo upgrade time, and "probably" transmission upgrade time!

Don't worry though, my .5 second faster Maverick doesn't count because it was on a Dragy that is always within .04 seconds of all my quarter mile track passes....

I'm not trying to sell you parts, I'm just telling you what works.
When did dragy become a disqualifier?
Sponsored

Dueces

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD Maverick XL, 2004 Insight Turbo
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
When did dragy become a disqualifier?
I don't know, I've done enough drag strip passes to see how insanely accurate they are to not question the times off of them.

I'm not sure if people are trying to use a faster car's dragy runs to pretend their vehicle is faster than it is, or what, but I know for a fact at the track my Mav will run within .04 seconds of my 12.75!

es7129

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't know, I've done enough drag strip passes to see how insanely accurate they are to not question the times off of them.

I'm not sure if people are trying to use a faster car's dragy runs to pretend their vehicle is faster than it is, or what, but I know for a fact at the track my Mav will run within .04 seconds of my 12.75!
I’d have to imagine the claim was made without being aware that you and Ivan are both in the 12s.
Otherwise perhaps you’re right. The claim of being 3rd or 4th fastest doesn’t quite roll off the tongue mid sales pitch.

OP
OP

Brady2705

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, 2.0L
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you’re worried about flash footprint you can also get a piggyback instead (JB4 or RaceChip). Both have legitimate gains, and with just the JB4 e30 tune I’m in the high 13s.
Thanks, this feedback is great -- really giving me confidence in my mod list.

Regarding the tunes, I looked up the JB4, and then a handful of other Performance Chip Modules. Looks like this is the world I want to live in for tuning purposes -- something that avoids the "flash footprint" that other tunes leave that could void your warranty.

Where I'm struggling is why the JB4 is $500, and the other PCMs I'm finding are $100. Is that because the JB4 actually works, and the others are junk/irreputable? Or is it because the JB4, like a flash tune, essentially works instanteously to reprogram the ECU, whereas these others take weeks for the ECU to learn/adjust to? Below are specific PCM products I'm seeing -- no idea if they're legit or snake oil:

1. https://www.thortonchiptuning.com/p...iS2sxWAG8a4NG_oe63rk3LEAQ0fRu2ukaAmV3EALw_wcB
  2. https://www.rocketchipusa.com/produ...tL530nn_jPmAbXDaPcA0oAwDRHz25lvwaAvwhEALw_wcB
  3. https://www.performancechiptuning.c...zSbtCad69twaPZ_G_TjyqqEeQRhrCHGIaAnlrEALw_wcB

OP
OP

Brady2705

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, 2.0L
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Where I'm struggling is why the JB4 is $500, and the other PCMs I'm finding are $100. Is that because the JB4 actually works, and the others are junk/irreputable? Or is it because the JB4, like a flash tune, essentially works instanteously to reprogram the ECU, whereas these others take weeks for the ECU to learn/adjust to? Below are specific PCM products I'm seeing -- no idea if they're legit or snake oil:
Boy, a little more research and it seems like a lot of these OBD2 Chip Tuners are indeed snake oil -- Chinese scams. I'm going to have to do some research here -- open to any recommendations from folks on legit PCMs that don't void warranties, but do indeed provide performance gains and unlock the utility of a CAI and catback exhaust system. Thanks!

https://www.performancechipguide.co...i-cat-performance-chip-tuner-review-teardown/

Sponsored

OP
OP

Brady2705

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, 2.0L
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you’re worried about flash footprint you can also get a piggyback instead (JB4 or RaceChip). Both have legitimate gains, and with just the JB4 e30 tune I’m in the high 13s.
Kudos on you're recommendation, looking at JB4 and RaceChip vs. those others my quick Google Search was feeding me, there seems to be a clear distinction between these two legitimate offerings, vs. the Chinese-scam PCMs that plug into your OBD2. I'm going to look into both JB4 and RaceChip a little further to get a feel for which I would prefer, but a little extra digging gives me confidence these are the units I'm interested in. I'll steer clear of the rest -- thanks!

AMCfoxbody

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
@Brady2705 You may be familiar with Cobb, but if not, they are a highly respected tuner although they just made a corporate decision to be less 'aggressive' with some of their tunes based on recent EPA restrictions. That being said, in early September I contacted them and they told me the following regarding a Cobb AccessPort and tunes, "Good news! Maverick is currently in development. While we don't have a set ETA at this time, we expect to have something by the end of this year/early 2023."

OP
OP

Brady2705

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, 2.0L
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What's the thought on Mishimoto Z-Line intercooler for a mod-list like what I'm chasing? Says it's ideal for RWHP up to 325 ... I don't think the setup I'm looking at would actually get that high, so this seems like a good place to start? AM tracks it as compatible with the 2022 2.3L Mustang, so I'd like to think it would be fairly compatible with the 2.0L, especially with aftermarket mods?

https://www.americanmuscle.com/mishimoto-intercooler-zb.html#customer_q_and_a

es7129

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Kudos on you're recommendation, looking at JB4 and RaceChip vs. those others my quick Google Search was feeding me, there seems to be a clear distinction between these two legitimate offerings, vs. the Chinese-scam PCMs that plug into your OBD2. I'm going to look into both JB4 and RaceChip a little further to get a feel for which I would prefer, but a little extra digging gives me confidence these are the units I'm interested in. I'll steer clear of the rest -- thanks!
I see you answered your own question regarding the difference between the resistors and actual piggybacks.
If you go with the RaceChip get the GTS, but the JB4 is worth the extra money and their support is excellent.
The other advantage to the piggybacks is that they’re not locked to the vehicle so you can resell, but used or if you get another Maverick you can swap it over.
I went this route bc I had picked up a stock Maverick when it looked like my 2022 retail order was going to be rolled over to 2023.

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
And he’s running 12s with the catless downpipe and no CEL due to the defouler.
I didn't know anyone has gone 12's in a Maverick, is there video, slips or something of this?

Sponsored

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I love it when the "no weight reduction" gets used from Mr. Buschur. "My truck has no weight reduction, but I did have my wife drive 45 minutes to the track to drive it so I could save 100lbs!" His truck is not the quickest or the fastest Maverick, he just uses a technicality to claim this.

Buschur's Mav has ran 13.2@102mph at the track with his wife driving to lose 100lbs.

I've ran 12.75@108mph with about 210lbs removed, and basically all the standard bolt ons.

Ivang79 has ran 12.88@106mph(he's dealing with a factory speed limiter currently) and this was full weight.

If you want to have a fast Maverick, it's the same formula as almost all turbo car builds. Intake, intercooler, tune(E30, 93, 91, 87 plenty of options), downpipe and Cat-back. Then the name of the game power to weight, IE: weight reduction. I get you don't want to go that far, just showing options....

After you master that, then it'll be turbo upgrade time, and "probably" transmission upgrade time!

Don't worry though, my .5 second faster Maverick doesn't count because it was on a Dragy that is always within .04 seconds of all my quarter mile track passes....

I'm not trying to sell you parts, I'm just telling you what works.
I didn't know anyone's gone 12's in a Maverick, you have some video or time slips of these trucks? Yes, taking my gear bag and myself out of the truck and putting my wife in to drive dropped 100 pounds, that's not physically removing parts out of the truck or removing exhaust and such, it's facts, I put out there. It's a more typical driver weight than a truck full of gear and me.

If you are just using a draggy, or whomever, you're right, it's moot, doesn't count for shit.

es7129

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I didn't know anyone has gone 12's in a Maverick, is there video, slips or something of this?
Both members’ runs were made on dragy video and posted on the forum.

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Both members’ runs were made on dragy video and posted on the forum.
I'll be the first to congratulate someone when an actual time slip from a drag strip is posted.

es7129

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I didn't know anyone's gone 12's in a Maverick, you have some video or time slips of these trucks? Yes, taking my gear bag and myself out of the truck and putting my wife in to drive dropped 100 pounds, that's not physically removing parts out of the truck or removing exhaust and such, it's facts, I put out there. It's a more typical driver weight than a truck full of gear and me.

If you are just using a draggy, or whomever, you're right, it's moot, doesn't count for shit.
I'll be the first to congratulate someone when an actual time slip from a drag strip is posted.

Why is that dragy runs don’t count for shit? Please substantiate this claim.
As for the weight reduction, driver weight, etc that’s all irrelevant. The truck runs what it runs.

Last edited:

Dueces

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD Maverick XL, 2004 Insight Turbo
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

You didn't know two members who have both posted in this very subsection that they have gone 12s?

Please enlighten me how your wife's 13.2 is faster than my 12.75. Because no track timing system has ever had a fault, right? While your at it, show me a dragy run anyone has done at a track, that doesn't match the slip within .25 seconds, since that's how deep I'm into the 12s.

If you will only allow drag slips as your proof, YOU are the denier.

My main point in what I've done, which I forgot to even state in my rant, is that I've gone faster, and made all of my own parts(minus the fab of the intercooler), compared to a "33 year 4cyl vet" that owns and runs a shop specifically for selling go fast parts! Shouldn't you be killing it compared to sloppy mechanics like me? Enjoy your $900 intercooler, and your $800 exhaust, and I'll enjoy the fact that my Maverick is faster than yours!
Sponsored