First Name
Hawley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Insight, E350, Toyota Sequoia
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For how much those trailers cost, it's probably more cost effective too! Maybe unless you use one consistently for like 10-15 years.
I will be going to Michigan from Texas for the summers. Buying a blueberry farm, land only no house. I want to keep the people I know up there as friends and not live with them. ;)
Sponsored

hcforde

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hawley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I went back to a camp ground I went to with my family every year when I was a kid a few years back. The reason I would want a camper is the proliferation of RV's and pop-ups, which means camping sites much smaller these days.

Yes, you can go to primitive sites, but they are fewer and farther between these days.
A friend of mine said getting into a campsite is more difficult these days. Everybody is buying trailers, not wanting to be sequestered during the next viral problem.

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The Maverick does not have the aerodynamics of a car, so its towing numbers will be worse than the Escape. Just to be clear, I am not knocking the Maverick, it is what it is and we should not be trying to make it something else is all I am saying, and be aware of what you are getting into.. If they had put a 2.3 Ecoboost AWD in the Maverick that would most likely be a different story.

RV dealers are making noise about the quality of travel trailer builds across the board it seems as we try and work our way out of the pandemic issue. I went to a dealer and saw it first-hand. The outlets and thermostat were crooked to the point you ask yourself, How could they miss those imperfections?

Aluminum frame and skin or even an azdel skin would be nice. But I do not want a wet bathroom, I do want a lavatory in the bathroom. The Shasta Oasis 21ck is the best floorplan for me. I may end up getting one that is a couple of years old so all the kinks are out.
Aeros worse than an escape due to the tailgate area- thought that was debunked ? - Do we have drag co. #s for the Maverick ?

hcforde

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hawley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Aeros worse than an escape due to the tailgate area- thought that was debunked ? - Do we have drag co. #s for the Maverick ?
No, not a tailgate issue, just trucks in general.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Take a look at Livin Lite Quicksilver tent campers. My son had the smallest one. Compact, all aluminum, opens up to a big bed with room to stand next to it. They are no longer in business but there are used ones out there; the construction is very robust and being aluminum you don’t have to worry about corrosion. I towed it behind a 2.0 Subaru Impreza and didn’t even know it was there.

Sponsored

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have been looking at stock trailers to modify, looking to basically achieve a utility trailer of sorts with cubbies to store camping equipment in (I am still a "tent" camper). I've been pretty excited about a Harbor Freight folding trailer so I can store in my garage against the wall, detaching the boxes I build for it and storing separately. Not my first time towing but first time owning a trailer.

Does anyone here have any experience with those? They are wicked affordable and I don't plan to haul a tremendous amount of gear, i just need to keep my bed empty for the doges.

1631568667260.png
Recently assembled this Harbor Freight....they work and pull very well and are very light weight. Just buy an extra rattle can of red paint to touch up spots. About 8 hours to fully assemble the trailer. Add a sheet of plywood and side boards....might be worth looking at Lowes version that is fully assembled and ready to roll with side board already welded to the bed...but roughly $300+ more. Tung wheel is more than worth the investment....

Marcia R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 chevy malibu
I’ve been told 1 cubic yard
of garden soil put into the bed will be too heavy for the hybrid. Is this true?

hcforde

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hawley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
PROBABLY Very true! It is mostly the moisture content of soil, manure, compost that gives it the weight. A cubic yard weighs about a ton(2000-2200lbs) give or take. You should also consider your own body weight and that of passengers and subtract it from the payload.

BUT DO YOU REALLY WANT TO PUT DIRT IN YOUR SHINY BRAND NEW MAVERICK? :giggle:

https://anestwithayard.com/how-much-does-yard-topsoil-weigh/

Last edited:

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah, that's probably about right since 1 cubic yard of compost would weight around 1000-1600#s! It would be better to play it safe and make two trips.

Sponsored

imboden013

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thank you for posting this. I know a lot of people need to see size examples of what can and cannot be towed by the Mav. I saw dual axel and knew instantly that it's WAY to big.
If you were renting the trailer, the rental agency probably wouldn’t have rented it to you. Recently I was going to borrow my brother in laws F150 super crew with 3.5 eco and rent a car dolly to tow a broke down dodge caravan. Uhaul refused to rent me the dolly said the F150 wasn’t safe to tow it.

imboden013

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
PROBABLY Very true! It is mostly the moisture content of soil, manure, compost that gives it the weight. A cubic yard weighs about a ton(2000-2200lbs) give or take. You should also consider your own body weight and that of passengers and subtract it from the payload.

BUT DO YOU REALLY WANT TO PUT DIRT IN YOUR SHINY BRAND NEW MAVERICK? :giggle:

https://anestwithayard.com/how-much-does-yard-topsoil-weigh/
I’ve got a good friend that I better not allow in my Maverick then cause he’s full of S__t.
Sponsored