First Name
Layne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Pilot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Next time, keep going on Hwy 12 to Capitol Reef! IMO, it's one of the best spots in Utah because it doesn't get the overwhelming crowds the other places do. My family goes there more than all the others combined. (Live in SLC)

Nice trip report! Thanks for the MPG details.
Sponsored

OP
OP
saffrontruck

saffrontruck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Next time, keep going on Hwy 12 to Capitol Reef! IMO, it's one of the best spots in Utah because it doesn't get the overwhelming crowds the other places do. My family goes there more than all the others combined. (Live in SLC)

Nice trip report! Thanks for the MPG details.
Definitely, next time!

A big reason I got a Maverick over a Prius was to be able to get on roads like Hole in the Rock and not worry about scraping the bottom!

ladyhawkgt

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang GT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

were you ever worried that you might get stuck on some off road place because of lack of AWD? or did you already know the roads you were going on?

OP
OP
saffrontruck

saffrontruck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

were you ever worried that you might get stuck on some off road place because of lack of AWD? or did you already know the roads you were going on?
Since this was the first time on unimproved roads, I made sure that I had friends along in a second vehicle. And, it wasn't that far off the beaten path! We could have walked out, if needed. Both vehicles carried extra fuel/water/food/toilet paper, just in case.

But, I will be more confident from now on! The ground clearance is adequate, and low-end torque of the electric motor is amazing. Saffron (the truck) is quite capable for BLM/National Forest roads.

ladyhawkgt

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang GT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Since this was the first time on unimproved roads, I made sure that I had friends along in a second vehicle. And, it wasn't that far off the beaten path! We could have walked out, if needed. Both vehicles carried extra fuel/water/food/toilet paper, just in case.

But, I will be more confident from now on! The ground clearance is adequate, and low-end torque of the electric motor is amazing. Saffron (the truck) is quite capable for BLM/National Forest roads.
Awesome! I once drove about a mile on a fire road in a friends truck but that was 15 years ago, and really just for fire wood but never really anything for fun.

Sponsored

cskim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedez
Great feedback! Sounds like a fun trip. I lived in Northern Nevada for 16 years. Spent a lot of time in the areas you traveled through. Many happy camping trips out to Sheldon NWR and Great Basin National Park.

Thanks for posting, and love seeing your Cyber Orange XLT Hybrid photos!
Vehicle: 2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid, all stock, nothing add, nothing taken away.

Distance: 2800 miles and change.

Route: Eastbound: Eugene, Lakeview, Adel, Sheldon Wildlife Refuge, Winnemucca, Elko, east side of the Ruby Mountains, Ely, Delta, Fremont Indian Petroglyph Park, Panguitch, Bryce Canyon, Escalante.

Westbound: Escalante, Panguitch, Beaver, Fillmore, Delta, Ely, Austin, Fallon, Sparks, Susanville, Klamuth Falls, Chemult, Eugene.

Travel Summary: A comfortable ride with impeccable handling. This was mostly twisty roads through the outback of Oregon, Nevada, and Utah, and the truck handled asphalt, snow, dirt, and some mud with ease.

Mileage Summary: I never let the tank get below 1/2, so I stopped fairly frequently. Most of the stops showed the expected highway MPG, since I was traveling 75-80 mph. Calculated trip MPG overall of 35.7. The worst is when I was battling a very strong headwind on US-50 from Delta, UT to Ely, NV at 26.7 MPG.

The truck is showing lifetime 39.1 MPG.

The Good: The comfortable ride, and the competent handling. On the straightaways, just point the truck and turn on the cruise control. On the twisty roads, enjoy the low center of gravity and the grip of the Continental tires.

On dirt, the continuous torque of the electric motors was quite welcome, and allowed travel on trails that I would not consider with a standard front-wheel drive vehicle. Push the 'L' button, engage Slippery mode, and crawl your way to your destination. Washboard roads were loud and obnoxious, though.

Apple Car Play played my tunes, and allowed Google Maps when I had signal (surprisingly good coverage). Stock speakers were enough for what my hearing is capable of.

MPG at slow speeds, and on the dirt was consistently in the high 30's to mid 40's.

The Bad: Let's face it: Ford does not have a magical formula for defeating physics. The Maverick is not all that slippery, and pushing air at high speeds will drop your range. If you are doing 75+ MPH on the regular, get the EcoBoost since you won't realize the benefits of the Hybrid system. I did this trip in a hurry, and that's what I got. But, for the journey as a whole, the truck did better than EPA estimate for the highway, but less than the combined EPA estimate.

Pictures:
Outside Adel, Oregon:
IMGP8748.jpeg

Great Basin National Park:
IMG_1052.JPG

Bryce Canyon:
IMG_1094.JPG

Grand Staircase Escalante Monument after getting out in the mud and the rain on the Hole in the Rock and Egypt Canyon roads:
IMG_1108.JPG

Egypt Canyon Overlook next to my sister's Jeep Renegade:
IMG_1139.JPG

Thank you for checking out my story!
Great trip summary and useful info. I am planning a trip to the Monument valley with XLT hybrid. Would The truck have enough clearance?

Captain Pork chop

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Chevy Silverado
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Vehicle: 2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid, all stock, nothing add, nothing taken away.

Distance: 2800 miles and change.

Route: Eastbound: Eugene, Lakeview, Adel, Sheldon Wildlife Refuge, Winnemucca, Elko, east side of the Ruby Mountains, Ely, Delta, Fremont Indian Petroglyph Park, Panguitch, Bryce Canyon, Escalante.

Westbound: Escalante, Panguitch, Beaver, Fillmore, Delta, Ely, Austin, Fallon, Sparks, Susanville, Klamuth Falls, Chemult, Eugene.

Travel Summary: A comfortable ride with impeccable handling. This was mostly twisty roads through the outback of Oregon, Nevada, and Utah, and the truck handled asphalt, snow, dirt, and some mud with ease.

Mileage Summary: I never let the tank get below 1/2, so I stopped fairly frequently. Most of the stops showed the expected highway MPG, since I was traveling 75-80 mph. Calculated trip MPG overall of 35.7. The worst is when I was battling a very strong headwind on US-50 from Delta, UT to Ely, NV at 26.7 MPG.

The truck is showing lifetime 39.1 MPG.

The Good: The comfortable ride, and the competent handling. On the straightaways, just point the truck and turn on the cruise control. On the twisty roads, enjoy the low center of gravity and the grip of the Continental tires.

On dirt, the continuous torque of the electric motors was quite welcome, and allowed travel on trails that I would not consider with a standard front-wheel drive vehicle. Push the 'L' button, engage Slippery mode, and crawl your way to your destination. Washboard roads were loud and obnoxious, though.

Apple Car Play played my tunes, and allowed Google Maps when I had signal (surprisingly good coverage). Stock speakers were enough for what my hearing is capable of.

MPG at slow speeds, and on the dirt was consistently in the high 30's to mid 40's.

The Bad: Let's face it: Ford does not have a magical formula for defeating physics. The Maverick is not all that slippery, and pushing air at high speeds will drop your range. If you are doing 75+ MPH on the regular, get the EcoBoost since you won't realize the benefits of the Hybrid system. I did this trip in a hurry, and that's what I got. But, for the journey as a whole, the truck did better than EPA estimate for the highway, but less than the combined EPA estimate.

Pictures:
Outside Adel, Oregon:
IMGP8748.jpeg

Great Basin National Park:
IMG_1052.JPG

Bryce Canyon:
IMG_1094.JPG

Grand Staircase Escalante Monument after getting out in the mud and the rain on the Hole in the Rock and Egypt Canyon roads:
IMG_1108.JPG

Egypt Canyon Overlook next to my sister's Jeep Renegade:
IMG_1139.JPG

Thank you for checking out my story!
Did you use att for signal

OP
OP
saffrontruck

saffrontruck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Great trip summary and useful info. I am planning a trip to the Monument valley with XLT hybrid. Would The truck have enough clearance?
Sorry for the late reply!

Certainly, if you stay on the marked roads, you should be fine. Go slow, and understand it's not an all-terrain!

Take water, food, and fuel, and travel with friends!

OP
OP
saffrontruck

saffrontruck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Did you use att for signal
Hey Captain,

I don't have the truck hooked up to any services, if that is what you are asking.

As for my phone plan, T-Mobile had me covered in most places, but when I got off the major roads, any signal evaporated. Plan accordingly!
Sponsored