ESP

vlnmkr

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Merc B250
I found a Maverick to purchase that has been built and is in transit to the dealer. While the dealer is selling it at sticker price without any markup they are being difficult with add-ons and making the transaction harder than I’d like. They are trying to force me to buy rim protection and pay for nitro in the tires and make me buy mud guards etc. None of these things I want but they keep trying to tell me they can’t remove them which we all know is BS. We haven’t had the business manager meeting yet and I would like to buy a Ford ESP. I already have an Maverick on order without an eta so I have a price for the esp from that negotiation. But I’ve been asking around dealers elsewhere in Canada (I’m in Toronto) and I realise that I can buy my warranty anywhere, not just from the dealer I buy the vehicle from. So I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations? I have a quote from a dealer in Regina that is $400 and 20,000km better than the quote I got locally. I’m getting a quote from Petrie in Kingston, ON but they haven’t given me a number yet. I tend to keep my vehicles for 7 to 8 years and I don’t think Ford is going to be anywhere near as reliable as my old Toyota so I don’t really want to debate whether I should buy an esp or not. But I’d like to know about your experiences of buying them and maybe from a different dealer than you bought the vehicle from. There’s no way to know what the profit margins on these things are and what price realistically you could or should be negotiating and paying. Thanks.
Sponsored

OP
OP

vlnmkr

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Merc B250
Just a side note to anyone interested…I have got quotes from a few different dealers now and the lowest quote is $700 less with 20,000km more coverage than the highest quote. It pays to shop around.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The truck hasn't even arrived yet and they can't remove nitrogen in the tires? I guess that's correct given how much nitrogen is in just the.. air.. in general. Sounds like you have a crappy dealer. See if you can agree to buy a warranty from them instead of the accessories, then cancel the warranty immediately.

OP
OP

vlnmkr

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Merc B250
Well they’re not crappy in as much as they are not marking up the price like other dealers and that they have an incoming vehicle available to buy….but everything else is part of the game I guess. I have decent prices now on the warranty from other dealers so I can just say no if they don’t want to price match. But being told they can’t remove the other charges for a vehicle that’s not even here yet is just irritating. But I know the game and I have no choice but to play it if I want this vehicle. And I guess they know that too.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
These things like nitrogen and mud guards are markups of a different name.

Sponsored

OP
OP

vlnmkr

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Merc B250
A quick update. The Maverick arrived at the dealer yesterday, three weeks early. I spoke to the business manager on the phone and she removed all the pre-loaded extra charges right away without any issue and gave me a significantly better price on the warranty than I got anywhere else. $1200 cheaper than the highest quote I got and $500 cheaper than the lowest one. So I’m picking up the new truck on Tuesday from Polito Ford. I’m happy to find a Maverick without having to wait a year for it. And grateful that the dealer is not marking up the sticker price. And despite the angst over the dealer add-ons and Ontario having a binding contract rule, it should all work out ok.

stevhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Having owned my Maverick for 3 months now, I have to say that the splashguards are necessary so I'd consider them a "money well spend" add-on. (If you don't believe me, drive through some mud without them and look at the splash pattern, and then imagine what stones would do to your doors.) IMHO, nitrogen is a dealer BS add-on.

BTW, Polito Ford in Lindsay has a pretty good reputation.

Last edited:
OP
OP

vlnmkr

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Merc B250
Having owned my Maverick for 3 months now, I have to say that the splashguards are necessary so I'd consider them a "money well spend" add-on. (If you don't believe me, drive through some mud without them and look at the splash pattern, and then imagine what stones would do to your doors.) IMHO, nitrogen is a dealer BS add-on.
Thanks for the info. I kept them on my order.

rclee

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Maverick Lux,A51,Hybrid,Rear Slider.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

ESP, Ahhh Extended Service Plan. I thought he was talking about Extra Sensory Perception.

Sounds like it all worked out for you!(y)

ZDesorm

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape SE, Sport Pkg. 1.5 L EB.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I found a Maverick to purchase that has been built and is in transit to the dealer. While the dealer is selling it at sticker price without any markup they are being difficult with add-ons and making the transaction harder than I’d like. They are trying to force me to buy rim protection and pay for nitro in the tires and make me buy mud guards etc. None of these things I want but they keep trying to tell me they can’t remove them which we all know is BS. We haven’t had the business manager meeting yet and I would like to buy a Ford ESP. I already have an Maverick on order without an eta so I have a price for the esp from that negotiation. But I’ve been asking around dealers elsewhere in Canada (I’m in Toronto) and I realise that I can buy my warranty anywhere, not just from the dealer I buy the vehicle from. So I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations? I have a quote from a dealer in Regina that is $400 and 20,000km better than the quote I got locally. I’m getting a quote from Petrie in Kingston, ON but they haven’t given me a number yet. I tend to keep my vehicles for 7 to 8 years and I don’t think Ford is going to be anywhere near as reliable as my old Toyota so I don’t really want to debate whether I should buy an esp or not. But I’d like to know about your experiences of buying them and maybe from a different dealer than you bought the vehicle from. There’s no way to know what the profit margins on these things are and what price realistically you could or should be negotiating and paying. Thanks.
Just curious: what was the estimated delivery date of your Maverick? I reserved a Maverick at a dealership up north and the EDD was originally between July 25-31 and it recently got changed to July 9-15... Thanks

Sponsored
OP
OP

vlnmkr

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Merc B250
Just curious: what was the estimated delivery date of your Maverick? I reserved a Maverick at a dealership up north and the EDD was originally between July 25-31 and it recently got changed to July 9-15... Thanks
I think they said Jul 23-28 for expected delivery. I had called Ford Canada with a question a couple of days ago and they told me it was in Toronto already. Then it arrived at the dealer somewhat unexpectedly a couple of days later. Took less than a month to arrive from Mexico. Build date shows as completed on June 15.

ZDesorm

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape SE, Sport Pkg. 1.5 L EB.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think they said Jul 23-28 for expected delivery. I had called Ford Canada with a question a couple of days ago and they told me it was in Toronto already. Then it arrived at the dealer somewhat unexpectedly a couple of days later. Took less than a month to arrive from Mexico. Build date shows as completed on June 15.
Oh nice! Well, mine was built on June 16! So I shouldn't be too far behind! I was surprised to see that the delivery date got moved up!
Sponsored