brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I thought ford was waiting for the OKTB for the hybrid from the EPA. Did the ECOBoost get the same treatment from the EPA. I understood ford ran the test and provided the data to the EPA and the EPA decided to run it's own test. The question is why the hybrid and not the ECOBoost?
The hybrid and the ecoboost are in different testing groups. The Escape hybrid and Maverick hybrid are in the same testing group. The question that I haven't seen an answer to is: does this EPA testing impact the 2022 Escape hybrid? I think if it does we won't know because there haven't been thousands of pre-orders.
Sponsored

Fotomoto

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Clarity, C-Max Energi, & Prius
So, could we also say "A Hybrid is a gas-powered vehicle. PERIOD."?
No that would be incorrect.

A hybrid is fueled by gasoline but the power comes via mechanical AND electrical motors.

Let’s look at it in another way: if a BEV (Tesla, BoltEV, etc) is charged via a gasoline powered generator (these are often used for stranded motorist) is it no longer a BEV? No. It’s still powered by electric motors.

The class distinctions, HEV, PHEV, BEV, are more about the means of propulsion not the fuel.

HTH

Last edited:
OP
OP
huunvubu

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I thought ford was waiting for the OKTB for the hybrid from the EPA. Did the ECOBoost get the same treatment from the EPA.

I understood ford ran the test and provided the data to the EPA and the EPA decided to run it's own test. The question is why the hybrid and not the ECOBoost?
It is unknown if the EcoBoost did or did not get selected by the EPA for further testing.

If the EcoBoost was also selected by the EPA for further testing then we could speculate that the EPA tested the EcoBoost first (since EPA numbers are released) and is now testing the Hybrid after the EcoBoost FWD and AWD were done.

As for why the EPA selected the Hybrid for testing only they would know.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I already did post some of links to what I found. I'm not going to keep re-posting everytime someone does'nt want to believe what I posted or are to lazy to research it themselves. I for one am able to follow the articles and the other members posts about the eCVT changes to see the reason for the EPA testing.
What you found and posted was an article about Fords motor design refinement that was likely in the production pipeline for a couple years (since the previous design was released). The forum links you posted were just insider knowledge about the planned retool/start up of the eCVT factory. That's what factories do, re-tool for new models. Absolutely nothing you have posted has connected those design changes to EPA testing.

Sponsored

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I already did post some of links to what I found. I'm not going to keep re-posting everytime someone does'nt want to believe what I posted or are to lazy to research it themselves.
I read the one and only article link you posted in this thread. You claimed it said that "in June Ford changed the eCVT electric motor." It didn't say that, as you now know. (You don't have to repost it -- here it is: https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-ford-maverick-hybrid-motor-technology/ )

The issue was whether, as you claim, Ford submitted an eCVT for EPA testing, then later decided to place a different eCVT in the production vehicles. That's a very important claim, as it would explain a lot of delay. I don't know if it is true, but you haven't posted any links in this thread that show that.

You did say " I went back though the news articles and forum post and found the info," but that's not really the same thing, is it?

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
DryHeat said: So, could we also say "A Hybrid is a gas-powered vehicle. PERIOD."? That would be confusing, wouldn't it?

No that would be incorrect.
Of course it would be incorrect. (That's why I said it would be confusing to say such a thing.)

The point was to illustrate that your earlier claim that "A Hybrid is an electric vehicle. PERIOD." is also incorrect, and for exactly the same reason. You agree with that, don't you?

FloodingdowninTX

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think I shall name my hybrid Maverick the Little Mule.
Another thread speculates whether Maverick could become an "icon" like Mustang or F150. If so, taking the Pony Car template, shall the genre henceforth be deemed Little Mule Trucks?

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There is the chance Ford had to do some retesting as the weight category may have changed. Vehicles are tested on a chassis dynamometer with a pre determined weight load. If listed weight is 3499 lbs, preset testing weight is 3500 lbs. Go over that next setting is 3750 lbs. Everybody wants the lightest possible setting as it impacts your emission numbers and fuel economy.

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well, with the 1495 delivery fee, nobody was ever getting one in the first place.

It'll happen when it happens. Ain't no use getting bothered over it because there's not a damn thing I can do about it. I've got enough things to deal with that I can control. This isn't one of them.
That's what I am saying, 20k truck umm nope/Add 1495- lol

Sponsored

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Anyone else feel like beating their heads against the wall reading this thread? RKBRUMBELOW would be proud indeed....

OP
OP
huunvubu

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There is the chance Ford had to do some retesting as the weight category may have changed. Vehicles are tested on a chassis dynamometer with a pre determined weight load. If listed weight is 3499 lbs, preset testing weight is 3500 lbs. Go over that next setting is 3750 lbs. Everybody wants the lightest possible setting as it impacts your emission numbers and fuel economy.
That is an interesting idea. We know that Mavericks weigh differently with different options installed.

The "Tire and Loading" sticker does change with different options.

A Base XLT Hybrid shows 1566 lbs whereas on a Base XL Hybrid with the trailer Hitch I have seen that number as 1563.

Veritech

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RAV4 Hybrid, 2007 MX-5, 2022 Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Another thread speculates whether Maverick could become an "icon" like Mustang or F150. If so, taking the Pony Car template, shall the genre henceforth be deemed Little Mule Trucks?
I was trying to make light humor of comments about horse, mule, donkey. Then add in the Little Mule from Romancing the Stone.

Fotomoto

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Clarity, C-Max Energi, & Prius
The point was to illustrate that your earlier claim that "A Hybrid is an electric vehicle. PERIOD." is also incorrect, and for exactly the same reason. You agree with that, don't you
It’s not my claim, it’s the SAE who came up with these terms/definitions. I’m just pointing out the distinctions.

Can a hybrid NOT be an electric vehicle at all? Absolutely. It could be a mix of jet fuel and, umm, mule power if someone could dream up and execute that design. But the SAE (and thus the automotive industry and EPA) wouldn’t classify it as a HEV.
Sponsored