Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

And in June Ford changed the eCVT electric motor to increase the HP from 88 Kw (118 hp) to 94 Kw (126 hp)
all of a sudden, I've got all kinds of questions:
1) Does anyone know if that 8 additional horsepower is already reflected in the total output that is being advertised? With the new motor, does total system horsepower stay at 191hp, or does it jump up to 199hp?
2) Is the article saying that the electric motor, by itself, produces 126 hp? If so, does that mean that the ICE is only putting out around 65hp? Based on the specs below, I was assuming that the ICE produced 156hp and that the motor added ~30hp to that. What am I missing here?

Ford Maverick EPA and Ford's process to getting EPA approval for Hybrid Maverick OKTB 1634083440808

3) According to the spec sheet, the 2021 ford Escape produces 200hp. That model also had a 152cu. in. atkinson 4 cylinder ICE. If this new motor in the maverick is 'better', why is it showing less overall horsepower?

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/product/2021/escape/21Escape_Tech_Specs.pdf

So riddle me this:

Lighter vehicle + stronger electric motor + same size ICE = less overall HP?

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
1) Does anyone know if that 8 additional horsepower is already reflected in the total output that is being advertised? With the new motor, does total system horsepower stay at 191hp, or does it jump up to 199hp?
2) Is the article saying that the electric motor, by itself, produces 126 hp? If so, does that mean that the ICE is only putting out around 65hp? Based on the specs below, I was assuming that the ICE produced 156hp and that the motor added ~30hp to that. What am I missing here?

1634083440808.png

3) According to the spec sheet, the 2021 ford Escape produces 200hp. That model also had a 152cu. in. atkinson 4 cylinder ICE. If this new motor in the maverick is 'better', why is it showing less overall horsepower?

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/product/2021/escape/21Escape_Tech_Specs.pdf

So riddle me this:

Lighter vehicle, stronger electric motor, same size ICE = less overall HP?
Tuning.....tuning

Dallas Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Are you saying the Escape is better tuned? that's why it's numbers are better?
Tunes could be for reason. Example....a 350 6.7 is a monster power engine but a 550 with the same motor is REALLLLLLLY tame.

Sponsored

OP
OP
huunvubu

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just watched Tim's live stream and he has stated that he has not heard anything about the 12/8 OKTB for the Hybrid. On the stream he said that he emailed the Ford Brand Manager for the Maverick about the OKTB 12/8 date but at the time he did not get a response yet. If he does he will let us know.

He also hopes that the OKTB comes sooner than December like November or even Late October.

Criss944

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Criss
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverodo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

1634083440808.png

So riddle me this:

Lighter vehicle + stronger electric motor + same size ICE = less overall HP?
Increase in moving weight in engine and cam timing lowers the rpm for torque. Low rpm for torque is good for trucks.

DrDoom

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HPR XLT and Cyber Orange XLT 2022 Ford Mavericks
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I may be misunderstanding your post, but you seem to be describing a series hybrid. Is that what you meant?

If it makes a difference to your argument, the Maverick actually employs a series-parallel hybrid design.
Works for me.

DrDoom

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It is very strange that even when you agree with someone on this site. There is alway someone that will pick and choose a sentence or paragraph out of an article or not follow a thread in a forum even when it is Fords data or article to fight the fact that the EPA is testing the emissions of the Ford Maverick Hybrid to include the MPG. I am done with this.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I may be misunderstanding your post, but you seem to be describing a series hybrid. Is that what you meant?

If it makes a difference to your argument, the Maverick actually employs a series-parallel hybrid design.
And just for my knowledge, isn’t the term eCVT synonymous with the term transaxle in this case? The ICE definitely is providing power to the wheels independent of the battery at higher speeds, right?

Sponsored

DrDoom

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And just for my knowledge, isn’t the term eCVT synonymous with the term transaxle in this case? The ICE definitely is providing power to the wheels independent of the battery at higher speeds, right?
Yes the engine is connected to the trans-axle indirectly as far as I can tell from the information from the engineer Professor John Kelly

Last edited:

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No the engine is not connected to the trans-axle directly as far as I can tell from the information from the engineer Professor John Kelly
I see your John Kelly video and raise you a John Kelly video :) I went through this learning process as well a couple months ago, I didn’t think it was directly connected but turns out it is! The planetary gear system (aka power split device in Totota terms) is a confusing and beautiful bit of engineering. But anyway the ICE crankshaft has a permanent physical “pathway” to the wheels at all times (no clutch, just a safety torque limiter/damper on the flywheel that can slip). Through the planetary gearset, the ICE is able to be stationary, or apply its force both to the turning of the generator motor (sun gear) AND/OR the turning of the ring gear which is essentially the wheels (through some counter gears first). The computer is constantly manipulating and coordinating the engine RPM and generator motor RPM when the ICE is on.

Start at 8:00 if you want to skip the traction motor overview and get to the ICE/generator motor planetary magic.

Last edited:

DrDoom

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I see your John Kelly video and raise you a John Kelly video :) I went through this learning process as well a couple months ago, I didn’t think it was directly connected but turns out it is! The planetary gear system (aka power split device in Totota terms) is a confusing and beautiful bit of engineering.

Start at 8:00 if you want to skip the traction motor overview and get to the ICE/generator motor planetary magic.

I have to agree with you as I was mistaken. I went back and re-watched the video and it does show it attaching at the planetary ring gears. I will always take corrections when I am wrong. "Ego is a fools errand." I have to admit John Kelly is smart but he is a bit boring!

briandefilippo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

What someone above is referring to is the old bait and switch. Thought that went out with the 60's. I am not saying he is correct. I would think that a modern company sticks to sell what they advertise they would sell!
Sponsored