Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi all

I have the EcoBoost Maverick. I have noticed twice now after I get home and park, there is steam coming out from the hood. It’s similar to if you pull into a car wash and the water hits your hot engine and it steams. Is this normal? I’ve never had an EB engine, only a Triton in our F150 and our other car is electric so this is new to me. is it simply

the hood not being insulated well? Today’s drive was 19° out, lots of snow/ice on the road. It feels just fine driving but idk if I should be worried or not. Thanks.

link to YouTube if this video isn’t working.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looks like just snow and ice that's been thrown into the engine compartment boiling off, so I'd say that it's normal.

But if it smells like antifreeze, it's possible that your radiator is leaking.

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Worried, probably not. Considered, hell yes.

I would be all over the engine area and see if you can the primary source. Does it smell? Is coming from down low or on top? Is only when the roads are wet or covered in snow?

If you don’t an answer there get it to the dealer ASAP. My 2cents worth.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Did you pop the hood to see if you could find the source? Does it smell sweet like antifreeze? Is it steam or is it smoke?

Also, any drips?

Clark6

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Buick GrandNational 1996 Chevy Silverado
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Probably just the radiator Son,,, get in another truck drive it to town & back & see if it does it also...Condensation like off an exhaust pipe.. Like when your riding forward water , rain gets on that radiator when you stop & park you mostly likely will see condensation........ I would say.........

Sponsored

tomahawk72

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This happened today to mine after a touch free car wash. Steam was coming from the radiator area, smelled like steam and stopped after driving it for a bit. I did noticed some water intrusion in the engine bay, specifically some water on top of the fuse box.

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This happened today to mine after a touch free car wash. Steam was coming from the radiator area, smelled like steam and stopped after driving it for a bit. I did noticed some water intrusion in the engine bay, specifically some water on top of the fuse box.
Not where I want to see water.

OP, I think it is just boiling off water…still a little concerning that it’s getting into the engine bay.

tomahawk72

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not where I want to see water.

OP, I think it is just boiling off water…still a little concerning that it’s getting into the engine bay.
Yea, I will get a picture next week if I go again (or whenever it gets gritty). I did do a prewash of the truck before hand with just a pressure washer at the car wash so that could of contributed. I'll be sure to follow up.

OP
OP
mrjspence

mrjspence

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah engine water sealing isnt the best. After our road trip and not having any issues with steam, it’s def. water hitting the hot radiator.

tomahawk72

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah engine water sealing isnt the best. After our road trip and not having any issues with steam, it’s def. water hitting the hot radiator.
Im wondering too if the "wax" they put on as well hit the radiator because it smelled a bit like it.

Sponsored

chips46

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2l 2022 ford maverick lariat lux fx4 tow 4x4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Looks like its moisture coming from the outside of the intercooler. This is why there is an aftermarket intercooler being sold in another thread on this site. The intercooler that Ford installs is very marginal. It simply gets hot and any water or moisture drops simply go up in steam. Air gets hot when compressed by the turbo, so it is sent to the intercooler before entering the intake manifold. The intercooler is located lower grill, and that looks like where the steam is coming from. Just make sure that it is not sweet smelling like antifreeze. This would be normal for this vehicle. I worry about getting a hole in the intercooler on rough roods as it is not very well protected. If you are unsure where the steam is coming from have your dealer check it out.

Tuner_Obsession

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JDM Fairlady Z TT (300zx), 350z, Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've washed mine a couple times now at a non-automatic car wash and it steams like that for the first few miles after leaving the car wash.

Geep

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT luxury hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looks like its moisture coming from the outside of the intercooler. This is why there is an aftermarket intercooler being sold in another thread on this site. The intercooler that Ford installs is very marginal. It simply gets hot and any water or moisture drops simply go up in steam. Air gets hot when compressed by the turbo, so it is sent to the intercooler before entering the intake manifold. The intercooler is located lower grill, and that looks like where the steam is coming from. Just make sure that it is not sweet smelling like antifreeze. This would be normal for this vehicle. I worry about getting a hole in the intercooler on rough roods as it is not very well protected. If you are unsure where the steam is coming from have your dealer check it out.
My F-150 3.5 does the same, car wash water on the cooler
Sponsored