Sponsored

Elephant in room: Around 80% of orders are Hybrids.

keytiri

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Key
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic, Ford Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Iā€™d prefer a hybrid, but opted for eb; Iā€™d just like something new to replace my current beater truck, without sacrificing my first born. I can just trade the eb in for a hybrid later, the local dealer canā€™t keep either on their lot for long even with 5-15k markups.
Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Why cant ford just set up another assembly line in a different assembly plant to keep up with the demand? I know car makers used to do this in the past. In 1968 the redesigned dodge charger was so well recieved, that chrysler started building them in 2 different assembly plants. Granted the tech in one of those was more primitive, but still, it can be done.
More factories doesn't help if its factors external to the plant that are the holdup like parts/materials.

theway-yay-ting

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Honda CR-V, 2019 Kia Sportage
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Why cant ford just set up another assembly line in a different assembly plant to keep up with the demand? I know car makers used to do this in the past. In 1968 the redesigned dodge charger was so well recieved, that chrysler started building them in 2 different assembly plants. Granted the tech in one of those was more primitive, but still, it can be done.
Because they're not going to cut into the production capacity of a higher margin vehicle (likely everything else in the lineup) to produce a very low margin (even if wildly popular!) vehicle like the Maverick.

Great username btw - my high school car was a 1970 Dodge Challenger that my dad & I built a 340 for.

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
See - I want an XL Hybrid Maverick. I'm not going to give Ford an addition $3k to get into a hybrid. They marketed a $20k truck they couldn't build. Now its a $22k truck they'll only build if you pay at least $25k for....

I don't want an at least $25k hybrid truck. I want the $20k hybrid truck I ordered more than a year ago.
I hear what you are saying, but a $20k hybrid truck is a massive market anomaly, considering that regular hybrid compact sedans go for $25k+. So $22k base is still cheap, as is $25k with some options added.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD šŸ˜‰
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Because that doesn't address a real issue.

Hermosillo can reasonably ~double production between Maverick and Bronco Sport. After all, they used to build about 250k units annually as a Fusion/MKZ(/Milan) plant. They'd be happy to do so.

What they don't have is the parts to build those vehicles.

Supply chain issues and the resulting shortages are still there. Production is being scaled back everywhere as a result, not expanded. Grocery stores still can't stock their shelves the way they used to...

Sponsored

LakeCamelot

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Danno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler and F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is it me or does anyone else wonder why the hybrid is so much more desirable? Based on a 10000 mile year my newly ordered 2.0 eco will cost me just around $325 per year in fuel usage. Plus with the 2.0 I got awd , more Hp, 4000 towing and hopefully no battery replacement issues down the road. For some hi milers Iā€™m sure the 40 mpg is awesome but for my average yearly miles not so. Is a lot it advertising, hype

Baja_Roamer

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Mitsubishi Montero, 2015 Fiesta ST
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is it me or does anyone else wonder why the hybrid is so much more desirable? Based on a 10000 mile year my newly ordered 2.0 eco will cost me just around $325 per year in fuel usage. Plus with the 2.0 I got awd , more Hp, 4000 towing and hopefully no battery replacement issues down the road. For some hi milers Iā€™m sure the 40 mpg is awesome but for my average yearly miles not so. Is a lot it advertising, hype
Your math is wrong unless you know somewhere to get fuel for $1 a gallon, and your banking on averaging 30 mpgā€™s with the AWD EB.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Your math is wrong unless you know somewhere to get fuel for $1 a gallon, and your banking on averaging 30 mpgā€™s with the AWD EB.
I think he meant that it would cost $325 more per year with the EB than the Hybrid, which is probably close to accurate. But he also drives less per year than the average person.

What he is missing is that initially the hybrid started out about $1100 cheaper. And he points out "battery replacement" "down the line" but does not acknowledge at all the potential reliability issues with direct-injected, forced-induction I4s. The hybrid powertrain is not only more economical but also likely to be more reliable long term.

Both are fine, but it's easy to see why the hybrid is more desirable for most of us.

Traegorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trae
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nerdandtie.com
Vehicle(s)
2011 Nissan Versa, 2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I don't know how much gas costs where you are, but I'd be spending way more than $325 a year on gas with an ecoboost. If a person doesn't plan on towing, the hybrid is super attractive -- especially since FWD (unlike RWD) is actually pretty easy to live with in snow with the right tires if you live in town, so AWD becomes less of a necessity.

Like I get why the ecoboost is attractive to some folks, but the hybrid will do the job for most people and cost them less money. That's why it's more popular.

LakeCamelot

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Danno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler and F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There is no right answer for allā€¦ at 10000 per year the difference between 40 mpg and 30 mpg is only about 83 gallons. At $4 per gallon thatā€™s only $333 per year. Pretty small difference in my opinion

Sponsored

Last Truck Ever

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The answer, as in most things, is it depends on what you use your vehicle for. Mine is going to be for retirement travel, along with tooling around town, and I know from driving another Ford hybrid that the mix will regularly get me about 42/43 mpg. I don't want to spend more retirement $ on gas than I have to. So hybrid works. For me.

Also, of course, I think the gas price spikes of a few months back just plain spooked a lot of us. If that worries you, hybrid again makes the most sense.

OP
OP

Greg_in_GA

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Engine
Undecided

You are comparing apples to oranges. You have to pay a lot more for AWD and 4K towing so that is not a fair comparison.

With most other configurations you can get identically equipped cars with either a Hybrid or Ecoboost which makes the Hybrid an easy choice for both the gas savings and the environmental impact when they are the same price.

If Ford could make unlimited hybrids then I doubt that there would even be an Ecoboost option.

DavesMav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
I'm starting to second guess my initial assumption that Ford took in over 100k 2023 Maverick orders...

If you check out the order tracker on this forum, we are tracking ~7,000 2022 Orders and only a little over 500 2023 orders (with several usernames showing multiple 2023 orders).

Ford Maverick Elephant in room: Around 80% of orders are Hybrids. 1664126068781

Ford Maverick Elephant in room: Around 80% of orders are Hybrids. 1664126187707

At 7,000 2022 orders, that's roughly 6% of overall 2022 production. Only tracking 500 2023 orders at this point either means we are somehow a much smaller sample (likely not even 1%), or Ford didn't really take that many orders before shutting things down... I expect more orders to go into that tracker as time goes, but we're not tracking anywhere close to 2022 numbers at this point. At the same time, LM alone took in more 2023 orders than this forum is tracking, so I dunno lol :unsure:
Sponsored