Sponsored

Elephant in room: Around 80% of orders are Hybrids.

ShadowBlack XL440

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Ford, not enought room to list..........
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hate to say it, but I"m wondering why Ford didn't just raise the price 4 or 5 thousand dollars for 2023's. Would have increased their profits and still have plant running at capacity. Instead they're going to have thousands of dissatisfied customers whose orders got canceled.
Would that work? If Ford raised the price 4-5K, I would not have placed my 23 order. Then they are guaranteed to make 0 profit from another unhappy customer. I hear Toyota is coming for the Maverick's market share.
Sponsored

Maverstang

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata; Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It is the batteries. Even hand tool manufacturers are having issues sourcing them and they use smaller batteries than hybrids. It's a global lithium shortage.
Probably should consider going back to NMH batteries for small hybrids like the Maverick. They worked well on the old Escapes and Prius, were relatively low cost and lasted for years.

Of course that would require some re-engineering, which they won’t do because everyone, including suppliers, are working on EVs. It’s a classic case of “new” is the enemy of “practical”.

mrjspence

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford did one thing wrong with the Maverick. There should only be an AWD or FWD hybrid and engineer
a way to tow 4,000 lbs on a hybrid. Electric motors are great so perhaps a larger “towing” option could be purchased. Our AWD 2020 Escape was fantastic. If we need to tow more, there are many other Ford trucks much more capable in that regard than the Mav.

I’ve been fortunate to own an FX4 Maverick and currently a Hybrid Maverick. The latter is the way to go hands down. My only gripe is the low-speed brake gripping is real (are you listening @Ford Motor Company?)

Next issue is as much I LOVE our Maverick it did the trick- got me interested in getting a bigger F150 (again) but the price of new ones are astronomical by the time you get any options you’d actually need/want. Looked at the Ram1500 but the Fords are soooo much nicer and practical. Ram seems too gimmicky.
Ford Maverick Elephant in room: Around 80% of orders are Hybrids. C31BB991-47FD-402F-A6F9-4FA1DEFD8B95

reciprocating_ravioli

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pilot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maybe Ford should have hybrid price to 1 or 2k higher than EB, oppisite of last year, maybe that would even things out. That was main reason I went hybrid last year, the lower up front cost and then additional mpg savings. Now that they are same price I switched to EB.
I fully expected the hybrid to be more expensive than the EB. If that was the case, I was going to go with the EB.

Uncartha56

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Why do you think that? Ford's target market is those who have never owned a truck before. It's a gateway drug. Suddenly people realize how handy a truck is and when they go to replace it, they buy an F-150 so they have more room. By then, even F-150 should have a regular hybrid option. That doesn't work if Ford ignores the Maverick outright.

They aren't selling you a Maverick. They are selling you a future F-150. You just don't know it yet.
Omg I never thought about that lol
I ordered a Maverick, this will be my first time with a truck as my own vehicle for the utility ……I did not think they where selling me a future f-150 :O
Your point makes perfect sense too, at the end of this one I may be wanting “more truck” then what the Maverick has to offer

Sponsored

Impetus19

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazda 3, 1979 CJ5 360 3spd, 2015 prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Probably should consider going back to NMH batteries for small hybrids like the Maverick. They worked well on the old Escapes and Prius, were relatively low cost and lasted for years.

Of course that would require some re-engineering, which they won’t do because everyone, including suppliers, are working on EVs. It’s a classic case of “new” is the enemy of “practical”.
I think it is a valid point... generally li-ion have superior performance, but that isnt doing anyone any good if you can't get one. Reminds me of the idiom, "Mr. Right vs Mr. Right now."

Last edited:

J_Garn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Edge
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Next issue is as much I LOVE our Maverick it did the trick- got me interested in getting a bigger F150 (again) but the price of new ones are astronomical by the time you get any options you’d actually need/want. Looked at the Ram1500 but the Fords are soooo much nicer and practical. Ram seems too gimmicky.
You make a great point and I'm really interested in how this shakes out in the next 3-5 years. Ford's been very open about wanting the Maverick to bring in non-truck owners to their offerings, and I really wonder how many more people will love their Maverick for a handful of years then start having the "you know, it would be nice if..." conversations and consider the F-150 or Ranger.

Makes me believe more and more Maverick production, especially hybrids, will never, ever reach *true* demand capacity. The Maverick is to Ford what the rotisserie chicken and hot dogs are to Costco. Price them at razor thin margins, or even a loss, and build just few enough so it's not a headache, in hopes to get people in the door and start spending real money. If you're into watches, this is the exact playbook Swatch/Omega has done:

https://timeandtidewatches.com/its-...-in-the-wake-of-the-moonswatch-collaboration/

Ford Maverick Elephant in room: Around 80% of orders are Hybrids. 1200x-1

Traegorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trae
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nerdandtie.com
Vehicle(s)
2011 Nissan Versa, 2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Ford did one thing wrong with the Maverick. There should only be an AWD or FWD hybrid and engineer
I actually think they avoided introducing an AWD Hybrid because they're having a problem fulfilling the Front Wheel Drive Hybrids as it is. Pretty sure they know the demand would rise and they wouldn't keep up, so they're pushing folks who want AWD to the Ecoboost which they can build more easily.

Jamesrchapman1949

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think it’s an issue of getting around the hybrid battery to drive the rear wheels

OP
OP

Greg_in_GA

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Engine
Undecided
It is a huge mistake to think of the Maverick as being some sort of loss leader that Ford does not want to sell a lot of. It is in the same general price range as a Corolla and no one thinks of those as being a loss leader.

Of course when there are constraints on production more expensive higher margin trucks will get priority but when(if ?) things get more normal you can count on Ford ramping up the production to meet the demand but that is at best several years out.

Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I actually think they avoided introducing an AWD Hybrid because they're having a problem fulfilling the Front Wheel Drive Hybrids as it is. Pretty sure they know the demand would rise and they wouldn't keep up, so they're pushing folks who want AWD to the Ecoboost which they can build more easily.
That's been my theory on why they didn't launch with a PHEV as well.

Maverstang

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata; Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It is a huge mistake to think of the Maverick as being some sort of loss leader that Ford does not want to sell a lot of. It is in the same general price range as a Corolla and no one thinks of those as being a loss leader.

Of course when there are constraints on production more expensive higher margin trucks will get priority but when(if ?) things get more normal you can count on Ford ramping up the production to meet the demand but that is at best several years out.
Agree it is a mistake for them to think that way.

Today the average new car transaction price is almost $50k, which basically excludes the bulk of the US population from being able to buy a new car. The main driver for the Maverick is a sub $30k price. Farley himself said the unibody Maverick product is for the former small car buyers. But if Ford only wants to build 120,000 units for what is by far the biggest price segment, they are really just trying to be another luxury niche manufacturer focusing on the high end. If the objective is to move buyers up the price chain, there aren’t many to move up when starting with such a small number.

The major Japanese manufacturers have not forgotten this basic concept, which is why things like corollas, civics and so on still exist. And most of them are hybrids with great fuel economy. Even Stellantis has figured this out by introducing the reasonably priced Dodge Hornet, which is a surprisingly good hybrid car (from their Europe design centers). The GM announcement of the $30k Equinox EV is another example of bringing new technology to this price bracket.

Ford is doing none of this. It’s all about short term focus on higher priced, highest profit vehicles. Even the one vehicle they have in the sub $30k high fuel economy space, the hybrid Maverick, is being pushed back with the reduced hybrid build percentage.

It’s going to hurt them in the long run. I’ve always had Fords (or their cousin Mazda, which was bolted at the hip to Ford back then) but if I start looking at these other manufacturers which are building good cars in the right price bracket, I may not come back.

Fastfoord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
True if they cant they cant. I am off to another vehicle then.

I just hope they don't SAY they will build them then not. So lets say they have a 50K orders of the Hybrid. They know they can only build 30K. Cancel the last 20k of orders NOW. Don't let people out there hanging. that will build long resentment .

Imagine the demand if the maverick had stellar styling!

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That's been my theory on why they didn't launch with a PHEV as well.
They build an AWD Hybrid Escape. Because they chose to make the Hybrid drivetrain the "base" drivetrain and it is Ford's bargain offering there was no way for them to offer a Maverick Hybrid AWD without severely undercutting the Escape.

An Escape SE Hybrid AWD checks in around $30,500 and comes standard with a crappier interior than the Mav (imo).AWD is a $1,500 option on the Escape.

Ford isn't going to undercut the Escape by $6k+. Nobody would buy the Escape.

Ford is going to slowly start moving people up the price chain before you get AWD, or PHEV. There will likely never be an AWD Hybrid Maverick for less than $30k.

Impetus19

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazda 3, 1979 CJ5 360 3spd, 2015 prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They build an AWD Hybrid Escape. Because they chose to make the Hybrid drivetrain the "base" drivetrain and it is Ford's bargain offering there was no way for them to offer a Maverick Hybrid AWD without severely undercutting the Escape.

An Escape SE Hybrid AWD checks in around $30,500 and comes standard with a crappier interior than the Mav (imo).AWD is a $1,500 option on the Escape.

Ford isn't going to undercut the Escape by $6k+. Nobody would buy the Escape.

Ford is going to slowly start moving people up the price chain before you get AWD, or PHEV. There will likely never be an AWD Hybrid Maverick for less than $30k.
They are already undercutting the non hybrid AWD Escape by $6k with the AWD EB Maverick. I don't see how that changes just because it is a hybrid. Maverick undercuts the Escape in all scenarios.
Sponsored